focusing issues with osmo pocket for video
16969 36 2018-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Hi!

Osmo pocket is a cool product... however, could you add an "option" for "Autofocus-Single" and "Autofocus-Continuous" for video in the next firmware update?

When I was taking a video (not moviing, just periodically people walking in/out of the scene) - the osmo would "re-focus" making it very distracting/ruining the video.
Sometimes it works correctly, sometimes not.

Many cameras nowadays have an "option" for "Autofocus-Continuous" and "Autofocus Single".

Right now, it appears the osmo pocket has autofocus continous (which means it 'continously' updating the focus). For some videos, this is very good.

However, for others - it isn't. Can you please add an "Autofocus Single" - which means - when you "first" start recording a video - it will "find" the focus - then for as "long" as it continous recording *that* video - it will have the "same" focus, and not adjust? It should be an option (maybe in settings) - because "sometimes" you want to have "Autofocus Continous" (how it is currently set up) - and sometimes you want to have "autofocus single" (where it only focuses 'once' at the beginning of the video).

Thanks very much! & Merry Christmas!

2018-12-24
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can change  afc to afs in the settings . Please check . But you have to tap on the screen to focus before filming
2018-12-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi djiguy001, the Focus Mode can be selected in the DJI Mimo--Pro Settings, please check the screenshot below. GTScreenshot_20181225_143534.png
2018-12-24
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-24 22:37
Hi djiguy001, the Focus Mode can be selected in the DJI Mimo--Pro Settings, please check the screenshot below.[view_image]

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Okay - could you please also add that in the actual "osmo pocket" version? SImply because I don't usually carry around my iPad with me to use the pocket (also - I can't use my iPad because it won't allow me to use dji mimo without an internet connection - which, can you fix that too?)

Thanks very much!
2018-12-25
Use props
PG73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

As well as having AFS selectable on the OP itself, can we please have some kind of infinity focus setting too - it's really important on such a small device.
2018-12-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 12-25 05:10
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Okay - could you please also add that in the actual "osmo pocket" version? SImply because I don't usually carry around my iPad with me to use the pocket (also - I can't use my iPad because it won't allow me to use dji mimo without an internet connection - which, can you fix that too?)

Your need and suggestion will be forwarded to our engineers. DJI Mimo can be used without internet, you just need to log in the account in advance with the Internestion connection. Is there any further issue?
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PG73 Posted at 12-25 05:16
As well as having AFS selectable on the OP itself, can we please have some kind of infinity focus setting too - it's really important on such a small device.

Hi PG73, thanks for your suggestion, we will forward to our engineers.
2018-12-27
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-27 02:15
Your need and suggestion will be forwarded to our engineers. DJI Mimo can be used without internet, you just need to log in the account in advance with the Internestion connection. Is there any further issue?

re: "logging in" - it's not really feasible.

If it was in a "studio" - that is one thing. But many times I will be walking in nature - and want to take a picture - but then I can't "connect" to the internet, so I cannot use the app. Otherwise - I would have to "carry" the osmo WITH the iPad inside ALL the time - AND keep it on - which makes no sense. (Because then it is a HUGE bulky camera, and no longer a cool compact camera).

So please remove that restriction/change it so you do not need to be logged on the internet to connect the app.
2018-12-27
Use props
Webcruise
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

I found this video and this guy is in perfect filming condition in selfie mode ot of focus with sharp background. I would be really mad finding out at the hotel
that some footage is not sharp. Watch video at the beginning and later also several times.

2018-12-27
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

I would also like to see the option to select AFS/AFC modes from the osmo pocket itself without the mimo app.
2018-12-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Infinity focus is not something that can be set, it's a combination of the characteristics of the aperture and the lens.  The Pocket has a wide-open fixed aperture and a standard wide angle lens, not a GoPro type lens, so the focus characteristics cannot be changed.
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 12-27 07:23
re: "logging in" - it's not really feasible.

If it was in a "studio" - that is one thing. But many times I will be walking in nature - and want to take a picture - but then I can't "connect" to the internet, so I cannot use the app. Otherwise - I would have to "carry" the osmo WITH the iPad inside ALL the time - AND keep it on - which makes no sense. (Because then it is a HUGE bulky camera, and no longer a cool compact camera).

As long as the Osmo Pocket connects to the mobile device, the APP will be popped up and enter into the image transmission page directly even there is no network, the APP can still be used unless you would like to upload some footage.
We will keep optimizing our APP to make you have a better experience.
2018-12-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Webcruise Posted at 12-27 07:46
I found this video and this guy is in perfect filming condition in selfie mode ot of focus with sharp background. I would be really mad finding out at the hotel
that some footage is not sharp. Watch video at the beginning and later also several times.

Hi Webcruise, in selfie mode, it would be better to use the Face tracking mode, the face will not be out of focus. Thank you.
2018-12-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

hedac Posted at 12-27 12:40
I would also like to see the option to select AFS/AFC modes from the osmo pocket itself without the mimo app.

Hi hedac, your suggestion has been forwarded to our engineers for consideration, please note the future update, thank you.
2018-12-28
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

can't seem to reply to thread

strange. couldn't post. reposting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi - does this mean a new version for download is available of the DJI mimo app?

(Because right now - if I connect the osmo pocket to it - it will "not" work/enter the app unless I have an internet connection).

Thanks!

2018-12-28
Use props
JK-VPO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62116 ft
Czechia

HI, the AFC mode "focus pumping" is still not solved problem. So we have to wait for next FW update .... .
JIRI
2019-1-2
Use props
Mavic_Timo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 773025 ft
Kosovo

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-12-24 22:37
Hi djiguy001, the Focus Mode can be selected in the DJI Mimo--Pro Settings, please check the screenshot below.[view_image]

DJI Mindy,

as far as I understand the structure of the app, you can change it in the pro-mode (connected to a device). Then I can disconnect the device and use the OP.
But if I changed from video to Photo mode and back, I have to reconnect the device. Or does the OP save my settings?
2019-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JK-VPO Posted at 1-2 08:07
HI, the AFC mode "focus pumping" is still not solved problem. So we have to wait for next FW update .... .
JIRI

Hi JK-VPO, we have just released V01.03.00.20, could you please update to the latest version and have a try?
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mavic_Timo Posted at 1-5 08:15
DJI Mindy,

as far as I understand the structure of the app, you can change it in the pro-mode (connected to a device). Then I can disconnect the device and use the OP.

Hi Mavic_Timo, if you have made some settings in the Pro mode, with the Touchscreen, when switching the Photo/Video mode, the Pro mode will be exited, that is why we are working on adding some settings to basic settings, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 2018-12-28 16:02
strange. couldn't post. reposting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have released DJI Mimo App V1.0.2 and the new firmware, please update to the latest version to try again.
2019-1-7
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

quick test done today latest firmware 1080p 50fps
2019-1-8
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

CubbyJonson Posted at 1-8 03:35
quick test done today latest firmware 1080p 50fps https://youtu.be/6e5YB5S_r_w

yes - that is exactly what was happenign - but it was constant - the other parts of the image "bounce" (i.e., in this video - the table gets bigger/smaller each time he moves the object out of frame).

I had a 'consistent' object (a table in foreground) - and was looking @ background - and the table kept 'bouncing'
2019-1-8
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

it doesn't focus smoothly...seems to pull back & forth for some reason...very annoying
2019-1-8
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

Most of my use for a video device is for a travel log, not a selfie face vblog.  I don't want to have to assemble a cumbersome phone/pole/bracket/wireless/cord contraption, I just want to pop out the gimbal and get a few seconds of footage.  This should not be so hard.

Every ten seconds or so, whether the scene is static or dynamic, whether the foreground is moving a lot or not, whether the center of frame is moving or not, the Osmo Pocket firmware is ruining the shot.  PUMP PUMP PUMP, it's useless.

2019-1-19
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

hariedo Posted at 1-19 07:05
Most of my use for a video device is for a travel log, not a selfie face vblog.  I don't want to have to assemble a cumbersome phone/pole/bracket/wireless/cord contraption, I just want to pop out the gimbal and get a few seconds of footage.  This should not be so hard.

https://youtu.be/WtjVKzr9Dpo

I 100% agree.
2019-1-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-21
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-21
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

hariedo Posted at 1-19 07:05

https://youtu.be/WtjVKzr9Dpo

This issues will be fixed by the next FW update. AF-s mode will open for the users care about the af-c pump issues.
Also the AF-c should be tuning continually.  Thank for your feedback.
2019-1-21
Use props
kburn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 435640 ft
Australia

zu1 Posted at 1-21 15:01
This issues will be fixed by the next FW update. AF-s mode will open for the users care about the af-c pump issues.
Also the AF-c should be tuning continually.  Thank for your feedback.

Tuning and pumping are not the same... focus changes to another subject are one thing... pumping WITHOUT and focus changes are ridiculous..... stop your cameras from checking focus when at infinity! Tune your need to change focus when something that is TRULY out of focus comes into the middle of the scene.

All the pumping seen in examples are when subjects are at complete infinity focus. Why is the camera trying to search for a problem that isn't there and then trying to correct it???
2019-1-23
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

kburn Posted at 1-23 23:00
Tuning and pumping are not the same... focus changes to another subject are one thing... pumping WITHOUT and focus changes are ridiculous..... stop your cameras from checking focus when at infinity! Tune your need to change focus when something that is TRULY out of focus comes into the middle of the scene.

All the pumping seen in examples are when subjects are at complete infinity focus. Why is the camera trying to search for a problem that isn't there and then trying to correct it???

As you known, AF-s will fix focus to INF just touch the screen and Af-s/Af-c can be switched when recording.
For AF-c,  AF pump will be reduced to a very little amplitude that you can ignore this problem.
2019-1-24
Use props
DJSwitch
lvl.1

Netherlands

zu1 Posted at 1-24 01:18
As you known, AF-s will fix focus to INF just touch the screen and Af-s/Af-c can be switched when recording.
For AF-c,  AF pump will be reduced to a very little amplitude that you can ignore this problem.

Fingers crossed this fixes it. It's the only thing stopping me from buying this at the moment. The focus pumping as it currently stands is an absolute deal breaker unfortunately.

Will it be possible to switch between AF-s and AF-c without a smartphone connected?

Thanks
2019-1-24
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

DJSwitch Posted at 1-24 15:56
Fingers crossed this fixes it. It's the only thing stopping me from buying this at the moment. The focus pumping as it currently stands is an absolute deal breaker unfortunately.

Will it be possible to switch between AF-s and AF-c without a smartphone connected?

If no trouble, I think next FW will suport this feature.
2019-1-24
Use props
Kruzer1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60410 ft
United States

Still no solution ... it is Highly Annoying to have the focus PUMPING continuously.
2019-3-8
Use props
Kruzer1
lvl.2
United States

zu1 Posted at 1-24 01:18

Huh?
Can you give us a bit more instruction HOW is this to be done?
2019-3-8
Use props
Kruzer1
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-12-24 22:37

Thank you!
I missed this post about autofocus.
Is there a chance this PRO can be used without the Phone plugged in?
Thanks
2019-3-8
Use props
Kruzer1
lvl.2
United States

Webcruise Posted at 2018-12-27 07:46

Really nice video... keep on filming
visit our group on FB:

DJI Osmo Pocket Camera
2019-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Kruzer1 Posted at 3-8 00:28
Thank you!
I missed this post about autofocus.
Is there a chance this PRO can be used without the Phone plugged in?

Hi Kruzer1, thanks for getting back. We have made it possible in the last firmware v1.4.0.20, pro settings have been added when using Osmo Pocket without DJI Mimo, we've also added option to switch between AFC and AFS when using Osmo Pocket without DJI Mimo. Please update your Osmo Pocket to the latest firmware.
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules