Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will the new Mavics include USB-PD charging?
1151 7 2018-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fuzzybabybunny
lvl.1

Australia

I'm debating whether or not to get a Mavic Zoom. I'm using it for travel but the fact that it requires it's own charging brick when USB-PD is fully capable of providing all the power requirements for charging (my laptop charges via 65W USB-PD) makes me pause.

I don't want to carry around a completely seperate proprietary charging setup just for my drone when USB-PD is far more universal and a USB-PD battery bank could charge the Mavic while camping and hiking and such.

Is there any confirmation yet that the next generation of Mavics will have USB-PD charging?

Or are there any products out there on AliBaba or whatever that allow you to charge the current Mavics using USB-PD?
2018-12-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Yup it would be great if we are able to charge it with USB cable like the Spark and the Parrot Anafi's battery
Thanks for the suggestion!
2018-12-25
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas fuzzybabybunny!
2018-12-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we highly appreciate your suggestion on our Mavic 2 Zoom. We will forward your suggestion to our R&D engineers to see what we can do to make this happen in the future. Thank you for your interest.
2018-12-25
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

What would be really cool is a power brick with optional cables you can plug in to charge any DJI consumer drone (Spark, Mavic series and Phantoms) plus USB-PD ports for RC, phones, laptops and tablets. Maybe a third party company like Psytech or Fstop Labs will make something like this.  A third party is more likely to do it than DJI, plus a new drone coming out with USB-PD charging would leave everyone out that already has several DJI drones already.
2018-12-25
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

USB only provides 5 v.  Won't work with Mavics higher voltage battery.  
2018-12-25
Use props
Victor Lin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16182838 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Griffith Posted at 12-25 16:54
USB only provides 5 v.  Won't work with Mavics higher voltage battery.

Modern USB like USB-PD provides far more than 5V. My laptop charges via USB...
2018-12-25
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

This is true.  USB-PD requires that both the power source and device be able to communicate and negotiate the voltage and current delivery.  To use USB-PD, the internal battery management system would require re-engineering  and you would still have a 'brick' charger, although a more universal brick.  The Mavic batteries are 3 cells and I'm not sure if the individual cells are charged sequentially or in parallel.  So it's not as easy as changing the connector.
2018-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules