Pilot App Runs Full Time - except when it doesn't!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I'm not really much of an Apple fan. My wife and I both own iPads - they're not ancient, but, technologically speaking, they're getting somewhat old - I think they're second generation iPads. Mine essentially became a glorified reader.

So, when I decided to jump into the "raging rapids" whole-hog with a DJI Phantom 3, there was never a doubt that I would use an Android device. Fortunately, the crew at DJI had my Samsung Galaxy S5 on the "approved" list of devices. While smart phones have gotten bigger and bigger - some day I may have to carry a man-purse to transport mine! - tablets have tended to remain bigger, more legible, brighter, albeit more expensive, so I figured I'd stick with the Galaxy S5 while I got my feet wet.

My previous foray into specialized apps were mostly related to cycling. Then I discovered that the phone routinely blanks the display to save power and keep the heat down to an acceptable level. Well, that's not so convenient if you're trying to read a map with a route marked on it and some virtual nanny snatches it away. Some of the apps had sort of an over-ride capability so the screen would not go blank, but it was recommended you not do that - too much heat buildup in your device.

Well, without offering me any options, the Pilot app appears to run full time - when it runs. Several times in the past few days, I've set my Phantom (sans props), controller and Android device on my desk and fired everything up. I've been running the pilot app and taking screen shots, hoping to build a semblance of a manual, complete with screenshots, identify the menu labyrinth, etc. It's amazing how many times, with the controller sitting less than a foot away from the Phantom, the app identifies a disconnect between the app and the controller. Also, several times the app just literally stopped running and had to be restarted. Fortunately, the restarts are pretty quick - nothing like a cold boot when it sometimes seems like forever before the status display shows you're ready to fly. If my Phantom was actually in the air, even momentary burps can obviously be quite disturbing.

When I finally had all the screens captured I thought I wanted/needed, I shut everything down, noticed I had missed a call, put the phone up to my face to recall the number and WOW! Boy, was that sucker hot!

I'm a pretty savvy techie-type person. I'm probably pretty heavily an OCD type as well - I enjoy reading manuals. I had read the Phantom manual several times before mine was even delivered. But I'm not an expert on smart phones. I can use it as a phone (gasp!) and my wife has taught me how to text and I've gotten more comfortable with numerous other aspects of smart phones. Did the Pilot app shut down because my phone was overheating? Is a good idea, bad idea, neutral idea that the Pilot app runs continuously? I guess, frankly, it *needs* to run all the time, but what happens when you're now on your second battery (after a previous 15-minute flight) and the device gets so hot it either shuts off, shuts down the app or the whole thing just fails.

Is a tablet less likely to have this happen? Can a tablet also get too hot and shut everything down?

On a real plus side, I've seen some of these screens so many times now - they're starting to get indelibly etched into my brain!
2015-6-4
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The devices do get warm/hot, even my iPhone gets quite hot just using GPS, does depend whewre you live too I suppose if its a hot or cool climate. Anytime the screen is always on and you run a GPU/CPU/GPS heavy application ( the Pilot App is VERY GPU intensive ) things will get quite warm to the touch. And phone being smaller they will tend to feel hotter. Remember you also have cellular unnign in the phone, extra heat. Mmost modern phones/tablets have temprature protection. remember when I was in Thailand couple years ago and using the phone as GPS, I git a nice message saying it was too hot and to cool it down to contnue using it ( air vents and A/C solved the issue )

As for the video disconnects, having the Phantom and Tablet/Phone 1 foot away from eachother is known to cause disconnects.. You would think you get best signal but its NOT the case. Same goes with WiFi, stand right next to an access point and you dont get the best dignal..

Hope this helps.

Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-4 19:33
The devices do get warm/hot, even my iPhone gets quite hot just using GPS, does depend whewre you li ...

Many thanks Splooge. No, I did not know about the proximity disconnects. Hadn't really thought about being too close to the signal. You would think the antenna(s) would have a strong "aura" when they're that close to each other. As I think about it, the other day when I actually went flying (as opposed to just testing), I suffered a disconnect very early on - before I even got the Phantom off the ground! Now, after reading what you wrote, it suddenly makes more sense.

I guess if my phone gets too hot here in central Florida I'll probably have to stop flying as quickly as possible. The daily norm here now is 90 F/18 C - hard to find a cool spot outdoors! About a week ago we had what was for us a very cool summery day - only got to 13 C - probably sounds like a heat wave to you!
2015-6-4
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-4 19:33
The devices do get warm/hot, even my iPhone gets quite hot just using GPS, does depend whewre you li ...

sploodge-

I'd like to personally thank you for having soooo many ideas/answers!!
So knowledgeable and most definately a credit too!
Again, Thank you

Cheers!

2015-6-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

You should be able to go into your Droid settings and select the brightness settings and turn off the auto brightness. Then access the auto lock and select a longer time, like 15 minutes or more.

Turn off all apps with the exception of the DJI pilot app. Make sure to turn off wifi and if you have a setting for Airplane mode use that also.

Check this article out to see how Android uses memory.  https://developer.android.com/training/articles/memory.html

I had a iPhone 4 one time when using Waze traffic app and an internet radio app get hot enough to flash a yellow safety triangle indicating it was too hot. After that I used two different devises for the drive.
2015-6-4
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyGirl Posted at 2015-6-5 02:23
sploodge-

I'd like to personally thank you for having soooo many ideas/answers!!

You are welcome.. I'm just trying to help other get the most from the Phantom
2015-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules