Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tips for flying in the winter + best winter photos
1357 13 2018-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1049288 ft
Finland

Hey all!

I wanted to share my favorite photo from this winter taken with my Mavic Air, as well as some tips for flying your drone in wintery conditions. I'll start of with some things that I have learned and have the photo at the end of this post. I would love to hear your tips as well as see your best shots of the season .

Tip #1: Keep your hands warm! Let's say it is -20 degrees celcius outside and you are flying your drone. Your fingers will freeze in a minute, so you'd better have some good gloves with you. You will need touch-screen gloves to adjust your settings on your screen. I actually use two pairs of gloves on top of each other. The bottom ones are normal touch screen gloves and the second ones are half gloves, so the fingertips are "cut out". This lets me have good control over my phone, but also keeps me warm.

Tip #2: Keep your batteries warm! Our drones' batteries do not like the cold and may have reduced flight time. To keep them warm, put them inside of your clothes, so your body heat will warm them up before flight.

Tip #3: Watch out for snow or ice on your gimbal! I had my gimbal go crazy and fully stop working mid-flight and I got very scared. I landed my drone and saw a chunck of ice on the gimbal. After getting rid of the ice, the gimbal worked perfectly again. So watch out for any snow or ice on the gimbal before taking off!

Tip #4: Clean the landing/take-off area! This has to do with the previous tip. Cleaning the ground where you will take off will help you in keeping your gimbal clean. I also once had to land my drone in a lot of snow, and I am pretty sure it is not a good idea considering the water that might get inside the drone from the melting snow. Always try to land and take off somewhere, where there is now much snow.

Tip #5: ND Filters! Snow is very reflective and birght, so you might need to use an ND-filter even if it doesn't seem to be super bright outside. It will help especially when making videos, but it will also make your photos a bit better.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-12-26
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

Cool photo and thanks for the tips!
2018-12-26
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

pianoplayer7 Posted at 12-26 15:19
Cool photo and thanks for the tips!

Thank you! Glad you like it.
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice work! And very useful tips, thanks for sharing!
2018-12-27
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

DJI Panda Posted at 12-27 19:07
Nice work! And very useful tips, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I appreciate that
2018-12-27
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Wonderful picture and great tips!
2018-12-28
Use props
Tibopix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4582054 ft
Canada

Thanks for the tips :-D
2019-1-3
Use props
Scott S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

I flew my Mavic Air in -7 deg C, and got a reply from the administrator the operating conditions should be between 0 to
+40 deg Cel
whats your recommended  number to use on ND filters, the photo attached is auto settings with no ND filter.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2019-1-10
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

Scott S Posted at 1-10 05:54
I flew my Mavic Air in -7 deg C, and got a reply from the administrator the operating conditions should be between 0 to
+40 deg Cel
whats your recommended  number to use on ND filters, the photo attached is auto settings with no ND filter.[Image]

I have had that message pop up too, but no issues with the drone.

The ND filter completely depends on the weather, so I can't really answer that.
2019-1-10
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
United States

Congrats for winning!
2019-1-10
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

pianoplayer7 Posted at 1-10 11:50
Congrats for winning!

What?
2019-1-10
Use props
KasperGaram
lvl.2
Finland

pianoplayer7 Posted at 1-10 11:50
Congrats for winning!

Oh wow! Thanks for posting this, as this is how I got to know I won! Thank you a lot.
2019-1-10
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
United States

KasperGaram Posted at 1-10 12:13
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this, as this is how I got to know I won! Thank you a lot.

You’re welcome! You beat me
2019-1-10
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Very cool shot and useful tips KasperGaram. Thanks for that.
2019-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules