Ronin-S Standalone Focus Wheel
10589 8 2018-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

Can the Focus Wheel of the Ronin S works outside the gimbal, like the Nucleus-N does?
Because I may want to mount my camera on a tripod without the gimbal and still be able to pull focus through the motor/remotely. I tried shooting with the Ronin-S on a tripod and the footage came anything but stable. The wind made wobble. I wonder how it would be on a car mount... And yes, it was perfectly balanced and I did not have issues handheld.
2018-12-26
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

Did the motor add to the wobble? I have often seen follow focus motors to put a lot of pushing towards the lens and camera.I dont know if you could attach it a little lighter leaving a bit more room for the gear, or make it a bit elastic towards the lens and not pushing too hard.

But I think maybe the ultimate reason you had the last element of the tripod where the head goes pulled out too far. That is most of the time unstable even with just a normal camera because of a semi optimal weight distribution.

What I did is use the side sceew in opposite of the focus with a L cheeseplate to the tripod.. so it is not so far up had does not have so much leverage on top of the tripod. Also not so much force goes towards the battery, and I can go lower on the tripod as well. Did it all with quick plates Arca style and its very stable.
2018-12-26
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

I plan to have the focus motor a little loose on the rail and put a rubber band on it so it is pushed towards the lens but still having some flexibility.
2018-12-26
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Guys, maybe I didnt express myself correctly. I said 2 things in 1 topic. I dont have the focus motor yet. And I dont know if it works without being attached to the Ronin like the Nucleus-N does. So I could still pull focus independently of the Ronin S. Thats one thing.

The other thing is that I got wobble last couple of shoots when I had the Ronin S attatched to a tripod. It was centered, everything tight and instead of the included tripod, I just attatched the tripod plate to the gimbal grip/battery. Its not a great solution itself because the camera and gimbal stays way above the tripod head thus not giving a steady base but I thought the gimbal itself would correct it and support some moderate, normal outside wind. Which it didnt. A lot of timelapse and fast forwarded footage was wobbling due to wind.
2018-12-26
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

> I dont have the focus motor yet. And I dont know if it works without being attached to the Ronin like the Nucleus-N does.

It must be attached. If you need remote focus to use it also on a shoulder cam or tripod get the Nucleus - N or M.

>other thing is that I got wobble last couple of shoots when I had the Ronin S attatched to a tripod.

I think you should mount it differently and gave you some ideas for that. But in general, yes Ronin would compensate for that and it should work. Also make sure your lens does not have IS activated (it does not look like IS is the problem.. that would look more like floating around).

But to come back to your problem. Here is another idea: You might have activated PUSH PAN. This is a special mode that lets you touch the head with your hand and guide it where you want it to go.. pretty cool on a tripod but bowy wind might pick it up.

2018-12-27
Use props
Art in Flight
lvl.2
Canada

Ulysses Posted at 2018-12-26 14:21
Guys, maybe I didnt express myself correctly. I said 2 things in 1 topic. I dont have the focus motor yet. And I dont know if it works without being attached to the Ronin like the Nucleus-N does. So I could still pull focus independently of the Ronin S. Thats one thing.

The other thing is that I got wobble last couple of shoots when I had the Ronin S attatched to a tripod. It was centered, everything tight and instead of the included tripod, I just attatched the tripod plate to the gimbal grip/battery. Its not a great solution itself because the camera and gimbal stays way above the tripod head thus not giving a steady base but I thought the gimbal itself would correct it and support some moderate, normal outside wind. Which it didnt. A lot of timelapse and fast forwarded footage was wobbling due to wind.

Currently there is no way to remove the focus wheel from the body of the Ronin-S.
I'm looking for ways to do this as I'm getting a dual handle like the Ronin-M has but need to be able to pull focus. Might have to 3D print and solder a wired connection to extend it to the handles.

I didn't like using the bottom of the grip as a mount so I purchased the Universal Mount. Unfortunately the Universal Mount doesn't accept power from the Ronin-S battery but from D-TAP ( V-Mount batteries ) so I had to order the Battery Adapter, open it up and solder some connections. Using the Universal Adapter gives a lot more stability when mounted on a tripod or slider, etc.. but it's a bit pricey and a lot more work than it should be.

Really feels like DJI released this product pre-maturely and should get better over the next year or two. I hope.
2019-4-11
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Brazil

Art in Flight Posted at 4-11 17:26
Currently there is no way to remove the focus wheel from the body of the Ronin-S.
I'm looking for ways to do this as I'm getting a dual handle like the Ronin-M has but need to be able to pull focus. Might have to 3D print and solder a wired connection to extend it to the handles.

Care to post some pics of this rig you described?
2019-5-14
Use props
Art in Flight
lvl.2
Canada

Ulysses Posted at 5-14 06:11

I didn't end up building the dual handle grip as there is no way to move the focus wheel off the Ronin S itself and onto the handle.
2019-6-5
Use props
Art in Flight
lvl.2
Canada

Ulysses Posted at 5-14 06:11

I did this mod to the adapters to allow the Ronin S battery to power via the universal adapter but stopped short of adding the dual handle grip because of the aforementioned issue.

Here's the idea:
2019-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules