5194 21 2018-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Chile

Hi all,

Line of sight none withstanding.

I have a hypothetical question; if I fly through and over low level cloud, will the spark sensors register the clouds as firm ground and not allow you to fly back through them?

Should this happen would turning off all sensors allow you to fly back through them?

Thanks!

2018-12-26
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
Philippines

Not sure about the sensors under the spark, but i have flown high enough that some low level clouds passed in front of me and the front sensors went off, and i could not fly forward.

So you have to think the ones under it would act the same way possibly.
2018-12-26
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

You could be unable to land. Last year a forum member posted that he sent his Spark above cloud cover and could not land it. The Spark ran out of power and crashed.
2018-12-26
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

You can not turn off the bottom sensor and it will see the cloud as land and will not descend through it.  Same thing happens with fog.   Not to mention that it is against the rules to fly above clouds anyway.
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, we do appreciate your interest in our products. I would not recommend you fly near fog or cloud. It will have a bad influence on the sensor. Please refer on the screenshots below for environmental requirements. Thanks for your support.

2018-12-26
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Chile

good to know, thanks.
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You're welcome. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Cheers!
2018-12-26
Use props
Arnie R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

So, I am sure I have seen some comments on this before, but, what happens if let's say, what if you are standing near the rim of the Grand Canyon or on a very high hill and take off.  Do the sensors or whatever take into account where you started from (elevation-wise)  and permit you to land successfully?
2018-12-26
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Belgium

sadly no low alt clouds here so far
i flew 500m
but if u are worried it will register the cloud as ground and u will not be able to return
i heard someone say that it happened to them and they went full speed sport mode forward then started descending while moving fast so the drone tilt and speed stopes the Sensors
so if u ever get in that situation do that trick

Right Stick full forward
Left full downward

u may dive into a cloud but i dont recommend that =)
2018-12-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

you cant "turn off" the VPS, which will see the clouds as ground
2018-12-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

SAADHERO Posted at 12-26 21:03
i flew 500m
but if u are worried it will register the cloud as ground and u will not be able to return

Yep, the "Sport" trick may work! Never tried, but in such situation, sport and circles, watching the distance and the height, may get someone down before the batterie  end scenario
2018-12-26
Use props
tjalex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

Thanks for sharing.
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I saw this the other day,

2019-1-22
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

DJI-Osmo-User-1 Posted at 1-22 10:44
I saw this the other day,

Spark Above  The Clouds Issue

its bad idea but if u ever do it go full speed in sport and downward to overwrite the sensor as it wont see at that speed and it will be tilted to see anyway lol

i will do it when i consider buying the mavic ill mod the spark from 500 to unlimited height and go to the sky and drop it from 3+km as a salute
i will try to turn engines when few hundered meters form ground to try to rescue it

2019-1-22
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

SAADHERO Posted at 1-22 15:08
its bad idea but if u ever do it go full speed in sport and downward to overwrite the sensor as it wont see at that speed and it will be tilted to see anyway lol

i will do it when i consider buying the mavic ill mod the spark from 500 to unlimited height and go to the sky and drop it from 3+km as a salute

Wow, I never knew this about the spark. Good info here. I never had this issue with my p3p. I was in the mountains and took off from 3,500 feet flew over the clouds. I’m so lucky I found this out before I tried this with the spark. Thanks !!!
2019-1-22
Use props
fans687a79c2
lvl.4
Hong Kong

My Spark can't fly so high to meet cloud. The cloud problems have been discussed a lot of times in DJI Chinese forum and there is a real case that the Spark couldn't return due to the sensor treated the cloud as ground and the Spark crashed after all power drained. I find the reply at 9# is a good attempt should same case be encountered. Surely Spark's bottom sensor can't be turned off.
2019-1-22
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

Sayhelloforme Posted at 1-22 16:08
Wow, I never knew this about the spark. Good info here. I never had this issue with my p3p. I was in the mountains and took off from 3,500 feet flew over the clouds. I’m so lucky I found this out before I tried this with the spark. Thanks !!!

the issue is trying to go in them downward
p3 has no bottom sensors? or can be turned off perhaps

sadly no high point here to aid my take off
2019-1-23
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

SAADHERO Posted at 1-23 03:09
the issue is trying to go in them downward
p3 has no bottom sensors? or can be turned off perhaps

Yes, you can turn the downward sensors off on the p3p.
The high point is not located near me either so I have to travel about 4 hours to get there.
2019-1-23
Use props
djiuser_THLduk5iYRfY
lvl.1
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-12-26 21:40
you cant "turn off" the VPS, which will see the clouds as ground

How do you do that?
2019-1-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Can't, can't, ok?
2019-1-26
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

SAADHERO Posted at 2018-12-26 21:03
i flew 500m

I even noticed when flew low over land that the same possible in a Normal Mode. I just flew with full speed and start descending, waiting for sensor warning. At about 50 cm (2 ft) I stoped because there was no any warning. And when I stoped - warning came))
2019-1-26
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-26 09:55
I even noticed when flew low over land that the same possible in a Normal Mode. I just flew with full speed and start descending, waiting for sensor warning. At about 50 cm (2 ft) I stoped because there was no any warning. And when I stoped - warning came))

so we are sure it works now
2019-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules