Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OP Heating Up while(not) charging(??)
1125 8 2018-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

Anyone else experience this...

I am having no luck getting my OP to charge. I have the supplied USB-USB-C cable plugged into a USB adapteer in a wall outlet. The OP is not charging, but is getting rather warm while plugged in. Any thoughts what might be the cause?

I've tried 2 different USB/wall outlet devices with the same result.

This same setup worked when the device was initially purchased. After playing with the OP several days ago, I plugged it in using the same walloutlet/USB device and noticed it got warm after a while. Disconnected the OP, let it cool off, then plugged it back in and it charged w/o any issue and more importantly w/o getting warm.

I took the OP on a hike with me yesterday, and ever since I got home, I'm unable to charge the OP...though it does get rather warm each I plug it in and try.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions??
2018-12-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have nothing to add, but some suggestions.  When plugged in to the charging source do you see any of the blinking lights?  As you may already know, they can tell you something about the battery status.  I'll post a table of the charging 'blinks' below and a link to the Manual.  Page 9 shows some other 'blinking light' codes that may be an indication of what's (not) happening.  
Charging Light Table.png
2018-12-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Downloads including the Osmo Pocket User Manual:  (see page 9)      https://www.dji.com/osmo-pocket/info#downloads

[PS.... Nice avatar :-) ]
2018-12-27
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-27 09:07
I have nothing to add, but some suggestions.  When plugged in to the charging source do you see any of the blinking lights?  As you may already know, they can tell you something about the battery status.  I'll post a table of the charging 'blinks' below and a link to the Manual.  Page 9 shows some other 'blinking light' codes that may be an indication of what's (not) happening.

I did review the manual before posting, but appreciate the input.

I have since plugged the supplied charging cable into a USB-C port on my laptop. For the moment, it's charging and doesn't seem to be heating up.

Edit: I mentioned having the OP charge cable plugged into a USB-C port on my laptop. 'My bad'.....it's a USB3 port it's plugged into. Probably makes no diff, but offered for clarity.
2018-12-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-27 09:15
I did review the manual before posting, but appreciate the input.

I have since plugged the supplied charging cable into a USB-C port on my laptop. For the moment, it's charging and doesn't seem to be heating up.

Got it.  If you were to turn on the OP when it isn't connected to a charging source, 1) do you see any blinking LED's; 2) what battery percentage is showing on the view screen?  Just problem solving and getting it on your thread (helps others id similar issues)!   
2018-12-27
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-27 09:21
Got it.  If you were to turn on the OP when it isn't connected to a charging source, 1) do you see any blinking LED's; 2) what battery percentage is showing on the view screen?  Just problem solving and getting it on your thread (helps others id similar issues)!

When I have it plugged in for charging, the green "I'm charging" light does blink appropriately for the amount of battery life indicated on the OP's screen.

When not charging, but just playing with the OP, all the appropriate lights do appear...i.e., the green power light indicator does illuminate, and when I turn the OP off, the red light does blink a couple times as it powers down.

Now that I've had it plugged into a USB3 port on my laptop, it seems to be charging fine/wo heating up. I'm guessing the wall adapter I had been using is somehow not compatible.(??) Which puzzles me as it did charge the OP appropriately several days ago.
2018-12-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rjwPhoto Posted at 12-27 09:35
When I have it plugged in for charging, the green "I'm charging" light does blink appropriately for the amount of battery life indicated on the OP's screen.

When not charging, but just playing with the OP, all the appropriate lights do appear...i.e., the green power light indicator does illuminate, and when I turn the OP off, the red light does blink a couple times as it powers down.

Thanks... I'd be puzzled too!  I use the larger Apple charger with the 2.1A output which has done well over the weeks.  Perhaps the output of the wall charge is too low, or has a fast charger rating.  

Anyhow, thanks for the additional info.  Sorry I didn't have any helpful suggestions.  If it continues though,, I strongly recommend going to DJI support and starting an online Chat session, and getting a Case # assigned.  It stops the warranty clock from running on this matter and keeps them engaged.  Be ready to provide them with a link to this post/thread... It will help them see what you've already done.  FWIW, I've used that source twice and always found it helpful.  
2018-12-27
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.3
United States

WebParrot Posted at 12-27 09:43
Thanks... I'd be puzzled too!  I use the larger Apple charger with the 2.1A output which has done well over the weeks.  Perhaps the output of the wall charge is too low, or has a fast charger rating.  

Anyhow, thanks for the additional info.  Sorry I didn't have any helpful suggestions.  If it continues though,, I strongly recommend going to DJI support and starting an online Chat session, and getting a Case # assigned.  It stops the warranty clock from running on this matter and keeps them engaged.  Be ready to provide them with a link to this post/thread... It will help them see what you've already done.  FWIW, I've used that source twice and always found it helpful.

Thanks for the input.

I may file a case with Support even though it appears to be charging fine when attached to my pc now. Perhaps they would be aware of any power incompatibilities that might be involved.
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day rjwPhoto. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your new DJI Osmo Pocket.  If you are frequently having this issue on your new DJI Osmo Pocket it is best to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for additional help and analysis on your DJI Osmo Pocket for us to help you further. Thank you.
2018-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules