Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket wobble problem - hypothetical solution
1866 3 2018-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rent
Captain
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

There is noticeable wobble when Osmo Pocket is used to capture video while the operator is walking / running. Of course this could be mitigated or reduced by using better technique - one forum post mentioned doing a Ninja-like walk, etc.
This got me thinking, what happens if one mounts the Osmo Pocket on the Osmo Mobile 2 (or any other handheld gimbal)?

Looking at the specs, OM2 has a max load of 240g. OP is 116g so it's well within OM2's load limit. Of course some kind of padding around OP would be required to fit in OM2's minimum clamp width of 58.6mm. Lastly, OM2 supports a maximum phone thickness of 8.9mm. This could present a challenge to OP's 28.6mm thickness. This may be solved by adding some counter weight.

So, assuming fitting and balancing issues can be successfully resolved by some creative adaptation, the question is, will this gimbal ^ 2 contraption (monstrosity?) prove to offer significant reduction of the dreaded wobble?

What do you think?

(Obviously I am majorly bored at work)
2018-12-27
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

(I'm bored at work also).. ;)

I'm assuming that if you have money to blow on it, why not!   Alternative would be to see if you can mount the OP to the Z-Axis (somehow),,, or,,, start learning how to walk like a Ninja..
2018-12-27
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I think the problem is that the pocket is so light it is very hard to hold it still.  The OSMO Mobile 2 is heavy enough that it has a bit of inertia that resists the movement of your arm and that helps you to steady it.  I can not get steady walking shots with the pocket no matter how hard I try.  With the mobile 2, walking with knees slightly bent, I can do pretty well.   Maybe holding a little extra weight in the same hand as the pocket would help.    Seems like someone could come up with a Z axis stabilizer.  I have been toying with the idea of some sort of magnetic levitation base. Something like the pocket in a cup floating above some opposing magnets.  I don't ,know it that would work, but if I had a 3d printer I would be trying it out :-)   
2018-12-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

The Pocket fits neatly into a spring-jaw mic clip.  Mount that onto a tabletop mic stand with weighted base, hold it by the short pole of the stand so the base hangs below and provides some dampening to hand movement when walking.  But the resulting rig doesn't fit in your pocket.
2018-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules