Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No GPS message despite being in GPS mode and many satellites
9290 22 2018-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mertsendag
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88770 ft
United States

Hi folks,

Got my Spark a week ago, shipped from the US so I hope my issue does not require a replacement because that will be a problem.

My Spark displays "In flight (No GPS)" message in the air even when it says it is in GPS mode and has 14 satellites (see 1st picture). Spark will not exceed 30 meters of height in these No GPS cases. It says max altitude reached despite it is not limited in the settings. Home point cannot be recorded either.

And when it is on the ground (see 2nd picture), similarly, it says "Ready to go (No GPS)" when it seems to be in GPS mode.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-28 at 17.34.02.jpeg

And this is only when it is not in OPTI or ATTI mode, which it usually is (see 3rd picture).
WhatsApp Image 2018-12-28 at 17.34.01.jpeg

These 2 screenshots show the situations (both no gps and opti) in flight data.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-28 at 17.34.00.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-12-28 at 17.34.00(1).jpeg

I have previously had GPS with lower satellites and exceeded 30 meters, so it is not entirely incapable.

InkedWhatsApp Image 2018-12-28 at 17.33.59_LI.jpg

Thank you very much in advance.

2018-12-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, sorry for the inconvenience caused. When there is no GPS signal, the aircraft will enable Attitude mode. The Vision Positioning System will not work and the aircraft cannot hover precisely over the designated position. I suggest you to change location so we can check. Please keep us posted for further help. Thank you.
2018-12-28
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Hello! Status bar of your GPS signal shows not much points as it's required. And so is shown on both screenshots from flight records. They say "Weak GPS". You just should change location and try again.
2018-12-28
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

It can be that you just are too much in the shade of the buildings.
Maybe even reflexions, that the GPS reads sats more often.
Try to go to a park or such.
How is the registering situation?
Can foreigner register now, without having to move to Turkey, first?
2018-12-28
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 12-28 09:16
Hello! Status bar of your GPS signal shows not much points as it's required. And so is shown on both screenshots from flight records. They say "Weak GPS". You just should change location and try again.

Thanks. In this case, isn't it abnormal for it to be in GPS mode? I mean, if there is not enough points, why would it go into GPS mode in the first place? Has anyone had instances of being in GPS mode but seeing an "In flight No GPS" warning?
2018-12-28
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

mertsendag Posted at 12-28 13:41
Thanks. In this case, isn't it abnormal for it to be in GPS mode? I mean, if there is not enough points, why would it go into GPS mode in the first place? Has anyone had instances of being in GPS mode but seeing an "In flight No GPS" warning?

Seeing GPS satellites and having a real "GPS fix" are 2 different things.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-12-28
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Try giving it a little more time before you take off, or holding it off the ground while it's trying to find satellites. I don't fly if it is less than 10, and usually in flight there are 16 or 18. Try it in a more open space and see if that changes anything.
2018-12-28
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Ukraine

Tentoes Posted at 12-28 16:43
Try giving it a little more time before you take off, or holding it off the ground while it's trying to find satellites. I don't fly if it is less than 10, and usually in flight there are 16 or 18. Try it in a more open space and see if that changes anything.

Sometimes we need to take of in complete “silent” of satellites. For instance in the narrow passage of rocks or in canyons. In these situations I recommend to start cearfully increasing height without moving drone in any other directions. Do that to the level when the drone find GPS signals and write Home point. Don’t do it in strong wind condition because of flyaway posibility. If you need to make shooting on lower level, run the drone very slowly and always keep him in your sight. Remember that in case of ATTI mode the drone controls his height with barometer, and that not as precise as with GPS. Do not fly too low over the water with turning on visual sensors. They can fail. And may God bless you!
2018-12-28
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Ukraine

Waiting for your response.
2018-12-28
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
United States

hehe

Maybe the FAA training PDF needs a section on GPS and satellite signals.
2018-12-29
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Thank you all for your responses. I have updated my software (it was up to date already so it refreshed) and I will try in a more open area. Will share the results.
2018-12-29
Use props
Warriewoodlad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

With GPS satellites, the quality is more important that the quantity. A wide range of satellite positions gives a much better position fix, so 12 satellites in an open field is better than 14 satellites in a canyon. Launching in a canyon then flying high to get good gps isn't a great solution, because the accuracy of your home point is in question. If flying in a canyon or among tall buildings it is best to keep the aircraft in sight and be prepared to fly in the manual (ATTI) mode.
2018-12-29
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Hi guys. I have tried taking off in a better location. It was a car park of a university. There were in fact trees around but not very close and certainly there were no tall buildings.
I have waited for some long minutes, my spark picked up satellites (only two bars), even entered GPS mode but still displayed a 'ready to go (no GPS)' message.

In flight, it switched to OPTI mode and displayed 'In flight (vision)' message.

After that, it lost connection. I may have had a part in it as a 3 story building blocked the signal, but I definitely didn't expect such a drastic response. It said aircraft disconnected and started to auto-land. I have tapped cancel but it wouldn't listen (says command timeout). Thankfully, it did not harm anyone and didn't crash. Here is the picture of complete blank screen.

Hope I can help with this, is this normal? Do you get signal only where it is a very very open area, do you have examples of less than perfect environments where you had GPS lock? Last question, in order to exceed 30 meters, do you have to have a GPS lock, isn't being in GPS mode enough to exceed that threshold? (In my case I cannot exceed 30 meters unless I have GPS lock which is rare in my case as you know)

Thanks everyone.
2018-12-31
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

This is not normal.
If you continue flying your Spark, you gonna lose it..

I would try reflash current firmware via Dji Assistant ---> https://www.dji.com/no/spark/downloads
Then calibrate imu and compass far away from any metal/magnetic objects.
Seek an open area outdoor for calibration. Be aware of concrete slabs with rebar etc.

Sure your compass/gps is ok? Some has reported cracked gps modul after crash.
Its the square white modul ---> https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/dji-spark-teardown-whats-inside

If your Spark has never performed and acted as expected since you got it, maybe you need to contact dji support and start a ticket.
2018-12-31
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Haggi Posted at 12-31 01:53
This is not normal.
If you continue flying your Spark, you gonna lose it..

Hi Haggi,

Thank you for your response. I have already refreshed the app. Compass said it needed calibration and I did it. After that I did not receive any compass error (or IMU).

As for past performance, I previously had GPS lock couple of times (device is 10 days old). So I know for a fact that it is capable of getting a GPS lock. That's why I asked for examples of some of less-than-perfect environments that fellow spark pilots previously took of, to see if I am actually trying to take off in terrible conditions.
2018-12-31
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

mertsendag Posted at 12-31 06:06
Hi Haggi,

Thank you for your response. I have already refreshed the app. Compass said it needed calibration and I did it. After that I did not receive any compass error (or IMU).
There is probably nothing wrong with your app.
When I say Firmware refresh, i'm talking about the drone itselves.
This can only be done with DJI assistant.
There are videos on Youtube describing the procedure.

BTW, most of us get gps lock 10/10 times, regardless of environment. Some exceptions of course.
2018-12-31
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
Turkey

Haggi Posted at 2018-12-31 07:21
There is probably nothing wrong with your app.
When I say Firmware refresh, i'm talking about the drone itselves.
This can only be done with DJI assistant.

Hi, my bad. I meant the firmware, not the app. I did it through DJI Assistant as described.

You getting GPS lock almost at all times is concerning indeed. Maybe I should open a ticket.
2019-1-1
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Maybe you have a faulty spark, I would send it to DJI. What you are experiencing is not normal.
And it’s dangerous to fly like this!

Flysafely all
Alex
2019-1-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Hi.  I don't know the exact answer, but your pics show only 2 bars for GPS signal quality, despite 10 or 11 satellites..
Once the signal quality increased to 4 bars (5th pic) the GPS signals were accurate enough to lock.

The number of satellites does not matter if they are all from (for example) the North.  If 120 degrees is blocked by high buildings or trees, then 1 point of triangulation is removed.
Typically, we need a GPS signal from North, South, East & West directions to increase accuracy.
If you are using an Android, download "GPS Status & Toolbox' for free. Also on IOS I believe, but may cost a small fee. Or pick another GPS app that works for you. Then you can see the satellites, their direction, signal quality & more important, the accuracy. A decent GPS signal will lock in within 3 m (10 ft).
Just to prove a point, below I'll share my GPS data from my android phone, screenshots from various locations within my home site to prove a few facts. I'm trying to help -please respect my privacy & location - search via Google maps or whatever to see the landscape around my site.  The number of Satellites does not always mean reasonable accuracy.
Inside, 5 Satellites from the West gave me nothing.
Move location outside,  1 Sat' from NE, 1 Sat from the West & another from South west gave me an error margin of 18 m.
Next, walk away from buildings & trees, 15 Satellites gave me a 3 m error margin.
Move again & 17 Satellites had an error of 5 m.
So it all depends on buildings, trees etc.

Search the forum or google for keywords (Opti, Atti, GPS).
Here is a link with a similar or the same problem, about 12 months old - https://forum.dji.com/thread-128189-1-1.html

Good luck.

2019-1-1
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
United States

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-1 23:56
Hi.  I don't know the exact answer, but your pics show only 2 bars for GPS signal quality, despite 10 or 11 satellites..
Once the signal quality increased to 4 bars (5th pic) the GPS signals were accurate enough to lock.

Thank you very much. This is very informative. I will download this app to see if I am actually trying in unfavorable environments. As far as I understood, a good metric to measure GPS signal quality is my error in meters.
2019-1-2
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
United States

This is sounding suspicious. You'd think a car park would be open enough for it to get good GPS signals, but if cars are nearby there might be compass problems. I'd try opening a ticket with support as it looks to me like it should be in gps mode.

(Non gps drones are attracted to cars.)
2019-1-2
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

mertsendag Posted at 1-2 04:47
Thank you very much. This is very informative. I will download this app to see if I am actually trying in unfavorable environments. As far as I understood, a good metric to measure GPS signal quality is my error in meters.

Please, don't thank me. I'm only trying to provide examples based on what I see via software & my RF (Radio frequency) knowledge.  The same way authorities can track your location via mobile phone cell towers during an emergency.  In the old CB/HAM fox-hunt days. Similar. Ground based RF trackers. Now it's in the sky. Block 180 degrees - nobody will know where your are accurately , nor the satellites.  Increase to 210 degrees, they have a chance. Grab 360 degrees and they can pin-point your location.
Simple science & mathematics.  XYZ plots. That's a basic way to explain how satellites & GPS works.
Distance & location, with the response time & co-ordinates help to determine location & height between each satellite 'pulse'.    Aviation also has a similar plan for some aircraft without ADS-B - MLAT.
I hope I'm not complicating your questions.   Just 'cos an aircraft does not appear on FR24 or similar, does not mean it's safe to fly without radio contact via official VHF (am) radio. Not every plane has a transponder & may use the old radio.  Basic aircraft rely on VLOS  & the local airport frequency. (117-140 Mhz for example). I've heard of those that check FR24, but forget not every (small) AC has a transponder.  VLOS is the key, & land if you hear any low flying AC nearby. Safety first.
I can only relate to my local rules within Australia, (CASA) but they seem to be similar around the world.
Happy & safe flying. Treat it like your are flying a Jumbo, a small Cessna or a helicopter in general.
That way you will survive the best you can.   
Best wishes.
2019-1-2
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.2
United States

I'd like to give an update.

I have taken Spark to my hometown which has 100 times more open areas than Istanbul (where I live). I flew 8 times at different locations and each time I acquired GPS lock almost instantly, I have never left GPS mode, I have even climbed 500 meters up. Seems like I don't have any issues after all. It was really Istanbul's poor environment, buildings & interference etc.

Regards.
2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules