Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pocket low light test
4640 10 2018-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
opnwong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190161 ft
United Kingdom

Osmo Pocket in low light test.No problem with focusing and WB was left as auto!

Of course it is a no match against my Sony A7Sii but for everyday useage it is more than acceptable .  

Biggest drawback in low light is probably the slow motion.  
Putting the flickering aside (due to 120 fps against 50Hz lights), for some reason the noise level and the footgage breakdown was a lot more noticeable than the normal 4k 30fps!

2018-12-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

The faster the frame rate is, the less exposure time each frame image has to absorb light which will make the camera choose a higher ISO setting to compensate. Also, the frame crops using fewer pixels when expanded to fill the frame resolution of the rest of the footage to help with making the stabilisation more effective. Possibly by electronically shifting the image slightly to compensate for the more easily noticed movement from frame to frame from slowing down normal movement. Those two things combine to make such footage more noticeably noisy or soft.
2018-12-28
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice test! Thanks for sharing!
2018-12-28
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

So what settings did you use to record?  (Frame rate / shutter speed)

Indoor shooting like this I assume you went for a 4k 30/30?
2018-12-28
Use props
opnwong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 190161 ft
United Kingdom

Vermifuge Posted at 12-28 23:30
So what settings did you use to record?  (Frame rate / shutter speed)

Indoor shooting like this I assume you went for a 4k 30/30?

I normally shoot at 29.97 fps, 1/60s using SLog2 or FLIMIC Pro Flat profile.

For this OP test, it was shot on 29.97 fps, ISO auto, Shutter Auto, WB Auto with continuous focus.  I was mainly testing the auto focus, noise, Exposure, Dynamic Range and WB performance.

With most settings on Auto, the Parade Graph was covering 0-100% without much clipping.

2018-12-29
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.4
United States

opnwong Posted at 12-29 01:11
I normally shoot at 29.97 fps, 1/60s using SLog2 or FLIMIC Pro Flat profile.

For this OP test, it was shot on 29.97 fps, ISO auto, Shutter Auto, WB Auto with continuous focus.  I was mainly testing the auto focus, noise, Exposure, Dynamic Range and WB performance.

With my Osmo Plus I normally shoot 60 FPS with a manual shutter speed of 1/ 120 for anything daytime outdoor with the proper ND filter. In low light settings I would set the camera to 30 fps with 1/30 shutter speed to allow for better exposure.

The tradeoff being video will be a touch more blurry and pans won't be as smooth. In your example footage i notched the pan from right to left appear a little jerky.  that's why i wanted to confirm your settings.
2018-12-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for testing!
Nice video!
2018-12-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS,  I subscribed to your channel via my trains and trucks channel!
2018-12-29
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
2018-12-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks for sharing again!
2018-12-30
Use props
DoKaTS
New

France

I wait for a potential Mark II or Pro version, it's very bad compare to IPhone. Dynamic range, and low light...
2018-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules