Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to fly circles ?
5627 18 2018-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nevtan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123376 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or video about how to fly the Phantom 3 Pro in circles ? Yes, I know it'll do it on its own but I need to do it manually to pass the practical bit of my PfCO exam. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
2018-12-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

2018-12-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I see Mark has highlighted the 'auto PoI' function ability ... but as you ask for manually flying a circle .... mmmmm

I don't really think there is any tutorial or video for that alone. It really is a matter of practice in varying both sticks to get the required result. To smooth it out even more - you may wish to increase the YAW expo (that is the left sticks turn command).

I really do think practicing in a clear open flat area where you can comfortably observe and see the flight marker on GO is the only way to go. Even if there was a tutorial or video - they will not do the job for you ... you will still have to learn the stick control to master it.

I've been model flying for over 55 yrs and I can smoothly circle a traditional RC model .. but the Phantom - I still get a bit ragged at times !! Its the nature of the 'beast' !!

Nigel
2018-12-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation in regards to your query. Thank you for continued support.
2018-12-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Captain
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with solentlife ..... practice and more practice the only thing i would add is fly in atti mode , for me  it feels more fluid and you also have  to do all the braking input . i spend a few minutes every time i fly just  flying around myself in circles  cw and also ccw .  start off slow and build up the speed and then slow down again , i also vary the distance away from me to spice it up a bit . good luck
2018-12-29
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Interesting subject actually practice flying.

I have taught many to fly general RC and one of the habits I try to kill before it gets ingrained ... is the biased circuit. We each have a natural tendency to prefer one way or another ... ie flying left to right or right to left. Also when turning - many are happier turning for example left than right, (direction is not important - the point is that they prefer one way rather than the other). You also see flyers with fixed wing preferring to land from one side than other and having decisions to make when wind is not OK for it !!

So when I teach flying .. I get the pupil to fly fig 8's in front of them ... that then means they have to do right and left turns in each cycle equally. The second benefit of course is 'orientation' ... the act of swapping left for right .. right for left ... when model is coming towards you.

If you fly circles around yourself as the centre - then 'orientation' will never be part of it.

Question for "Nevtan" ... the circles you mention ... is that with you at centre or circles out in front of you ? There's a big difference as explained just in this post.

Nigel
2018-12-29
Use props
kndll
Captain
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

tip : cw circle -  both sticks out ,  ccw circle  - both sticks in
2018-12-30
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 12-29 11:44
Interesting subject actually practice flying.

I have taught many to fly general RC and one of the habits I try to kill before it gets ingrained ... is the biased circuit. We each have a natural tendency to prefer one way or another ... ie flying left to right or right to left. Also when turning - many are happier turning for example left than right, (direction is not important - the point is that they prefer one way rather than the other). You also see flyers with fixed wing preferring to land from one side than other and having decisions to make when wind is not OK for it !!

Ever since I trained for my PfCO and ever since, I always do a session whenever I go flying, of flying figure of 8 circuits. As solentlife says, practice is the key, and one day I will get it right. At the moment all I can say is I am getting better than I was.
My tip though, apart from practice is to fly slowly so you can begin to understand the stick movements and how they work on your aircraft.
2018-12-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Nobody has mentioned it yet, so I'll just throw this out there - it's a manual version to the POI function.

Put the AC in home lock.  Fly out at least 10 meters.  Move right stick to the left.  AC will circle homepoint CCW.  Move right stick to the right.  AC will circle homepoint CW.  

If you want to circle something besides the current homepoint, you'd have to fly over whatever it is you want to circle, create a new home point at AC location, then repeat above.  

Go to the 10:15 mark to see an example:

Fly safe!  
2018-12-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

kndll Posted at 12-30 05:30
tip : cw circle -  both sticks out ,  ccw circle  - both sticks in

Just trying to imagine this ...

Both sticks OUT .... so left stick will cause yaw LEFT, right stick cause slide RIGHT ....  

Both sticks IN .... left stick will cause yaw RIGHT, right stick will cause slide LEFT.

Can I ask what circle ?

To do a CW circle would need right stick pushed FWD and left stick IN to get AC to rotate and traverse the circle. The start orientation of course being maintained by a combo of sticks amount of FWD and IN.
a CCW circle being right stick still FWD but left stick now OUT ... and similar combo to maintain circle and orientation.

Nigel
2018-12-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Better to teach yourself and  forget about word salad instructions.  You'll get the hang of it in no time!
2018-12-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

ALABAMA Posted at 12-30 10:29
Better to teach yourself and  forget about word salad instructions.  You'll get the hang of it in no time!

IF that is aimed at my post .....

This .....

To do a CW circle would need right stick pushed FWD and left stick IN to get AC to rotate and traverse the circle. The start orientation of course being maintained by a combo of sticks amount of FWD and IN.
a CCW circle being right stick still FWD but left stick now OUT ... and similar combo to maintain circle and orientation.

was aimed at the guy saying sticks IN .. sticks OUT ... illustrating its errors. It was not intended to be a text instruction to OP.

As you can easily read from my earlier - I suggested practice ...

Nigel

2018-12-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-30 10:47
IF that is aimed at my post .....

This .....

My good man,  Why are you replying to me???  I was offering advice to the OP.   Nothing aimed at anyone!
2018-12-30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

ALABAMA Posted at 12-30 12:50
My good man,  Why are you replying to me???  I was offering advice to the OP.   Nothing aimed at anyone!

Your use of the term "Word Salad" ..... You may duck and dive on this ... but we BOTH know exactly what you meant by using that term.

And I am certainly not your 'Good Man' .......... what ever gave you that idea ?

Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

solentlife Posted at 12-31 01:36
Your use of the term "Word Salad" ..... You may duck and dive on this ... but we BOTH know exactly what you meant by using that term.

And I am certainly not your 'Good Man' .......... what ever gave you that idea ?

Oh Deeaaaaaah,  I do believe you're trolling ole chap!  Naughty, naughty!
2018-12-31
Use props
kndll
Captain
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

common sense  ! Nigel !  , it was a basic tip , not detailed instruction ,  do you think anyone would go both sticks full in or out and expect it to make a perfect circle ?   just get it in your head that it takes a combination of both sticks to make a circle , one way in , other way out .
2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

kndll Posted at 12-31 05:07
common sense  ! Nigel !  , it was a basic tip , not detailed instruction ,  do you think anyone would go both sticks full in or out and expect it to make a perfect circle ?   just get it in your head that it takes a combination of both sticks to make a circle , one way in , other way out .

OK ... then think on ...

Many people are not as good at control as you ... they read and believe.

Having taught many to fly RC - I am very cautious about how to describe stick movements / commands. You may think no-one would go full sticks ... but believe me - some DO !!

Sounds crazy maybe ... but I've had it happen and seen it too many times.
And anyway ... what you posted was fundamentally wrong.

Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

I think what kndll might be describing, although I think he got it backwards, is the technique shown on page 9, illustration 6, here:  http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... aining_Guide_en.pdf
2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Tks Mark ...

Nigel

2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now