#Goodbye 2018 Hello 2019#Tradition
1340 21 2018-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Over the past years, a family tradition has emerged. The days after Christmas, which often are a downtime with much less excitement then the days leading up to Christmas, are now instead replaced with a trip to the beach. Short, usually just a couple days, is the perfect amount of time to reset and relax after the chaos of the Christmas season. This year’s trip was the first with my new Mavic Air. Here are a few pictures I took to cap off the year of 2018!

The sand offered tons of intricate patterns created by water running into the ocean.

A tributary spreads out, patterning the sand. A quick tip: most of the time, patterns in nature are best captured from directly above preserving the perspective.

A close-up to really bring out the detail in the sand’s patterns.

It almost looks as if two hands are holding a gem. The transition of colors from green bushes to grey rocks to brown sands helps the composition.

Waves also turned out to be a great subject for shooting.

The timing to get a wave just as it is crashing is the hardest. A trick is to not use ND filters and speed up the shutter to around 1/240 (it will change depending on light) in order to catch the wave breaking without any motion blur.

These rocks literally popped out at me. The foam around them creates a cool layered feel—the rocks, then the foam, and finally the water.

The same sort of idea, but instead of rocks, there is the suggestion of a set of waves, one after the other diagonally across the frame.

Finally, I was extremely lucky to get this picture - the right wave at the right time. Only one time did I see a sea lion the whole trip and I was able to get a picture! You can see it quite small just to the right of where the line of foam and the wave intersect. He was riding the wave!

The small town of Oceanside was quite quaint and cozy.

The town is built into the hillside giving most houses a wonderful view of the ocean.

Just off the coast is the Three Arch Rocks Nationa Wildlife Refuge. They are home to one of the largest colonies of breeding tufted puffins.

One of my favorite photos, this is the road leading into town. I love the parallelism that the beach and ocean on one side and the signature green foliage of the Oregon coast on the other. Tip: use your first couple flights (if you are at a location for a couple days) to scout out possible shots with good composition. Then, return to those locations at the best time to create the look you are going for.

The sun setting over the small downtown creates a picturesque view from the air. At dusk, it becomes harder to retain detail in shadows while not over-exposing other parts of the shot. The trick is to shoot in RAW photo format not only at dusk, but all the time. I always shoot in RAW to maintain the best results. When I first learned about it I was skeptical. Editing programs were bound to cost me tons of money and are often quite confusing at first. But in reality editing RAW photos is a breeze. If you want to keep it cheap, actually free, and easy while still having great results, you can just download Adobe Lightroom CC for your mobile device. It works great and is free!

My younger brother was brave enough to bear the ice-cold waters just long enough to catch a couple waves before sunset.

One last picture for my profile

I hope you enjoyed and any and all critiques are welcome!

*I couldn’t figure out how to get rid of the picture below, so I guess here is one more *

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-12-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well done! Amazing pictures!
2019-1-1
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

jacksonnai Posted at 1-1 00:07
Well done! Amazing pictures!

Thanks you! Shooting RAW really makes the difference.
2019-1-1
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Amazing!
2019-1-1
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Thanks! The ocean makes for some great shots.
2019-1-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

David J. Posted at 1-1 08:23
Thanks you! Shooting RAW really makes the difference.

You're welcome mate!
2019-1-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great effort and thread
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 07:48
Great effort and thread

Thanks! Still working on trying to figure out a system to edit on so no videos. Any recommendation greatly accepted - thinking of an iMac, but not married to any idea.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 10:02
Thanks! Still working on trying to figure out a system to edit on so no videos. Any recommendation greatly accepted - thinking of an iMac, but not married to any idea.

It depends on the camera specs, whether or not you shoot in RAW, D-LOG, how much colour grading you do, the file size you work with i.e. 1080p, 2.7K, 4K, codec etc etc an iMac will do the job (with final cut included) but it will cost you a bit.
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 10:10
It depends on the camera specs, whether or not you shoot in RAW, D-LOG, how much colour grading you do, the file size you work with i.e. 1080p, 2.7K, 4K, codec etc etc an iMac will do the job (with final cut included) but it will cost you a bit.

Definitely hard to keep the cost down while getting a goood system. Getting down to the specifics like RAM, i7 vs i5 processors, flash storage (SSD) vs HDD, graphics card, etc., is where I am getting confused.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 10:14
Definitely hard to keep the cost down while getting a goood system. Getting down to the specifics like RAM, i7 vs i5 processors, flash storage (SSD) vs HDD, graphics card, etc., is where I am getting confused.

Your best bet will be to arrange an appointment with your local Apple dealer and discuss all of your options. TBH you'll only need top end processors, storage, monitors and graphics if working with RAW data files or high quality 4K footage in log colour profiles. If editing 1080p footage for home use then iMovies on a MacBook will do.
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 10:18
Your best bet will be to arrange an appointment with your local Apple dealer and discuss all of your options. TBH you'll only need top end processors, storage, monitors and graphics if working with RAW data files or high quality 4K footage in log colour profiles. If editing 1080p footage for home use then iMovies on a MacBook will do.

In the future I’m hoping to get into professional stuff, but for now I just need to get good . What setup do you have?
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 10:24
In the future I’m hoping to get into professional stuff, but for now I just need to get good . What setup do you have?

MacBook Air and iMovies though I mainly only edit stills in IOS photos as I'm more into photography than videography. I recently bought the Mavic 2 Pro so all of that may change soon LOL
2019-1-7
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

excellent! music to the eyes!
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And I would say that what you are using now appears more than good enough. Don't drop thousands on a set up to improve your images by 10% until you know 100% that you have a client ready to pay you for that work.
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 10:32
MacBook Air and iMovies though I mainly only edit stills in IOS photos as I'm more into photography than videography. I recently bought the Mavic 2 Pro so all of that may change soon LOL

iMoves seems like it’s sufficient for starting off, so I’m thinking I’ll just use that for now and not drop $300 on FCPX. What program do you use to edit your photos?
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 10:38
iMoves seems like it’s sufficient for starting off, so I’m thinking I’ll just use that for now and not drop $300 on FCPX. What program do you use to edit your photos?

IOS photos - the one that comes with all IOS devices for free - they upgraded it and it works brilliantly. Much better than iPhotos.
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

dj_dread Posted at 1-7 10:34
excellent! music to the eyes!

Thanks! Adobe Lightroom CC for mobile does wonders and is free
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 10:42
IOS photos - the one that comes with all IOS devices for free - they upgraded it and it works brilliantly. Much better than iPhotos.

Free stuff is almost always best
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 10:55
Free stuff is almost always best

Though as they say there is no such thing as a free lunch LOL - it's all included 'in the price'
2019-1-7
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 12:19
Though as they say there is no such thing as a free lunch LOL - it's all included 'in the price'

TANSTAFL. True true, but lots free-er than FCPX or Adobe subscriptions
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David J. Posted at 1-7 13:20
TANSTAFL. True true, but lots free-er than FCPX or Adobe subscriptions

for sure mate - £300 to edit a home vid - nah LOL
2019-1-7