Shakiness -- can this be fixed?
8879 25 2018-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisjacob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 671178 ft
United States

The biggest issue I've noticed so far with my Osmo Pocket is it doesn't handle vibration well at all.  I've noticed if I put it on my bike or if I'm running quickly with it, the footage gets a shaky or jello-y look. I compared with a GoPro myself and this only happens on the Osmo Pocket.  It seems like this was a little rushed to market, so I'm wondering if this is an issue that can be fixed with firmware in the near future.  With the way it is now, I have no clue how they expect this thing to be placed on a dog (amongst many other things) like the adverts show.

Here are some examples found on YouTube:

2018-12-29
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

Oh c'mon DJI:/. I just ordered two bike mounts for the Osmo Pocket...I guess I have the same question, can/will this be fixed?
2018-12-29
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thats looks very bad. I cycled also with op , but held it in my hand and that gave perfect footage , but didnt try to mount it on the bike. Have to try this as soon as mounts are available
2018-12-29
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

OP is NO action cam!
vertical shocks cannot be handeled by the gimbal.
GoPro uses software to do this
2018-12-29
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

xxxx
2018-12-29
Use props
sixthday
lvl.2
United States

Shaking is the weakness of optical stabilization of any 3-Axis gimbal. Because 3-Axis gimbal cannot adjust its position for up and down vibration. But GoPro 7 use digital stabilization which can handle any kind of small position change (digital stabilization, of course cannot handle large vibration ). Unless DJI decide to add digital stabilization, which I doubt, this wont be fixed. The following video shows the difference (from 15:00).

For optical stabilization, you will need a 4-Axis Gimbal like the following to handle shaking
http://www.turboace.com/Jockey-Motion_All-In-One.aspx
2018-12-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

No gimbal camera will tolerate hard, not damped vibrations. This will always result in yello effect at the best. For such reason all drone gimbals are suspended on silicone dampers. For the same reason action camera dolly is equipped with suspended cheese plate to mount the gimbal on and absorb vibrations.

Hot-blooded bodies (dogs including) will offer excellent vibration damping properties
2018-12-29
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What about in tiltlock mode? Anyway holding the op in your hand , while riding a bike , there will be hardly any shaking on you footage. And as said before its not an action camera , then the go pro 7 will be more suitable.
2018-12-29
Use props
chrisjacob
lvl.1
United States

Well that's a bit of a bummer... However, the footage does look pretty good when the Osmo Pocket is held in hand (whilst on a bicycle)

I had never heard of the Osmo Pocket until I received it as a gift so I just hoped it would fill in for a GoPro.  I'll play around with various mounts (I'm thinking similar to what the Mavic Pro uses for it's camera) and see if I can get the vibrations dampened somewhat.
2018-12-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

chrisjacob Posted at 12-30 10:09
Well that's a bit of a bummer... However, the footage does look pretty good when the Osmo Pocket is held in hand (whilst on a bicycle)

I had never heard of the Osmo Pocket until I received it as a gift so I just hoped it would fill in for a GoPro.  I'll play around with various mounts (I'm thinking similar to what the Mavic Pro uses for it's camera) and see if I can get the vibrations dampened somewhat.

Osmo Pocket was released pre-maturely to take the advantage of Christmas shopping frenzy, without all accessories allowing for various mounting options. Wait until these will be available, opting for chest mounting adapter.
2018-12-30
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18281 ft
United Kingdom

I use the Osmo Pocket for recording our group runs and I can tell you it is butter smooth on trail runs. I've not tried on a bike yet as the attachment isn't available but it does look disappointing, however seen lots of helmet mounted action which looks great so maybe helmet mounting is the way to go. I'm sure others have mounted gimbals to bikes, GoPro has a mount for theirs so it must be doable - let's hope it's just a software fix to make it look better than the videos above although don't think it's ever going to be perfect.
2018-12-30
Use props
Vermifuge
lvl.3
United States

The Osmo + has/had a bike mount with a built in shock absorber which was fantastic in eliminating the z-axis impact causing the "Shakiness" shown in your video.  You can see how this mount worked in action... my video is linked below. I hope DJI or some other action cam accessory maker can replicate this mount for the Osmo Pocket OR other action cameras using the actionc amera adapter.

2018-12-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I saw an excellent bike video where the guy had fixed the camera to the strap of his backpack.  The clue is to remove the vibration in some way.  I've said before that the GoPro has anti-vibration and the Pocket has stabilisation, two different things.

2018-12-30
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

depicus Posted at 12-30 14:21
I use the Osmo Pocket for recording our group runs and I can tell you it is butter smooth on trail runs. I've not tried on a bike yet as the attachment isn't available but it does look disappointing, however seen lots of helmet mounted action which looks great so maybe helmet mounting is the way to go. I'm sure others have mounted gimbals to bikes, GoPro has a mount for theirs so it must be doable - let's hope it's just a software fix to make it look better than the videos above although don't think it's ever going to be perfect.

which gimbal settings are you using for trail running?
2018-12-30
Use props
sixthday
lvl.2
United States

depicus Posted at 12-30 14:21
I use the Osmo Pocket for recording our group runs and I can tell you it is butter smooth on trail runs. I've not tried on a bike yet as the attachment isn't available but it does look disappointing, however seen lots of helmet mounted action which looks great so maybe helmet mounting is the way to go. I'm sure others have mounted gimbals to bikes, GoPro has a mount for theirs so it must be doable - let's hope it's just a software fix to make it look better than the videos above although don't think it's ever going to be perfect.

True. However, Bestbuy's screw up 25% off made this much more popular than they expected. Good or bad is hard to see. But I can expect a lot of complaints go to DJI.
2018-12-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

chrisjacob Posted at 12-30 10:09
Well that's a bit of a bummer... However, the footage does look pretty good when the Osmo Pocket is held in hand (whilst on a bicycle)

My GoPro Session came with a chest mount (body strap) allowing the positioning on the chest or shoulder.  When the new bracket comes I'll try it while riding to see if it makes a difference.  FWIW, even the (then) $400 Session (an 'action' cam0 had similar bounciness issues....
2018-12-31
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-30 11:24
Osmo Pocket was released pre-maturely to take the advantage of Christmas shopping frenzy, without all accessories allowing for various mounting options. Wait until these will be available, opting for chest mounting adapter.

See my reply #16.... FWIW, the GoPro version ( and clones ) are relatively inexpensive on eBay.  Otherwise I think GoPro only sells them as part of a set.
2018-12-31
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

UweE Posted at 12-30 17:48
which gimbal settings are you using for trail running?

I used Fast Follow and Tilt Lock and Pro mode with ISO100 and 1/60th although half way though I tried some photos and it went to non-pro mode so not sure what that used but other than poor exposure which I fixed in edit it was almost indistinguishable.  
2018-12-31
Use props
chrisjacob
lvl.1
United States

I tested the Osmo Pocket mounted on the dog today and unfortunately it suffers the same fate from vibrations...which is a real shame because the gimbal on this makes the video look sooo much better than a GoPro since it can handle the side to side motion of the dog running very well.

2019-1-2
Use props
Mattam1005
lvl.3

United Kingdom

depicus Posted at 2018-12-31 11:22
I used Fast Follow and Tilt Lock and Pro mode with ISO100 and 1/60th although half way though I tried some photos and it went to non-pro mode so not sure what that used but other than poor exposure which I fixed in edit it was almost indistinguishable.

Hi depicus, I'm keen to use my OP for running too. Any chance of sharing a little clip of one of your trail runs so I will know what level of quality I should be able to achieve please? Cheers!
2019-1-15
Use props
depicus
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mattam1005 Posted at 1-15 10:46
Hi depicus, I'm keen to use my OP for running too. Any chance of sharing a little clip of one of your trail runs so I will know what level of quality I should be able to achieve please? Cheers!

This was the first time I took it out.

Make sure you crank up to max resolution
2019-1-16
Use props
Mattam1005
lvl.3

United Kingdom

depicus Posted at 1-16 09:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_-L2os--E

Cheers depicus, really impressive and better than I was expecting tbh based on my walking test videos to date (which have more of a pronounced walking bounce). I'm going to take mine to the track tomorrow and see if I can get similar results to what you achieved. At least I know what is possible so many thanks!
2019-1-16
Use props
Zeeshan Sabri
New

Why my Osmo pocket is shaking
2019-10-5
Use props
djiuser_POrkCOLRK4qi
lvl.1
United States

depicus Posted at 2018-12-31 11:22

I have to say a big Thank you! to @depicus because your settings solved a big problem I was having with the Osmo Pocket.  Every time I panned from left to right / right to let my video would be incredibly jerky.  It was a little disappointing to see actually and I felt like it ruined some of my shots.  After doing a lot of internet research and finding this thread, I tried setting the 'follow' option to "Fast Follow" and the video is now much smoother when panning.  This is great!  I have been looking for this answer for a while; thanks for sharing your settings and showing your video.

Also, I can't believe how smooth the running video is.  Great stuff.

James
2019-11-1
Use props
Heavenone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3563 ft
  • >>>
Germany

depicus Posted at 1-16 09:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_-L2os--E

How did you fix the OP? Or was it handheld?

4th Axis absorbing I use this from scotties makes stuff, it work quite well(look at photo),
but also not usable at a bicycle, only for walking.....
At the bicycle I used it with an extension arm hand held...so you can change
position..very hihg or deep near the ground and everything is smooth
because your body and bike dampening will be enough for good videos
2019-11-2
Use props
djiuser_Zz4BYO2nSkQk
New

Australia

Guys, This is NOT "Z-Axis" shake. This is "focus lens shake". Let me explain:

As a "non-action camera", pocket uses electric coil focus lens (Other Action Cameras use solid fixed focus lens, everything far and near are always in focus.)

This means: Pocket is weak on "Backward and forward shake" because it keeps kicking the lens out of electric-magnet controlled range (while the true Action Camera's lens is solid welded, has no this issue)

Mount the bottom-end of Pocket on bikes/dogs will make this issue even worse (because the top-head will shake forward and backward even harder)

The solution: more flexible and relax mount, remove the "solid to solid" hard shakes, and let the gimbals resolve the wobbling.
2019-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules