Battery Threads ?
520 14 2018-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Whats happening to all the battery questions ?  It must be a couple of weeks since we had an in-depth on the merits of charging/discharging/storage/hubs/chargers etc !
Don't tell me it's all been written ----------  

Sorry,  just skiting !
Happy New Year to all

2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

In the yachting world there are a number of subjects that come up repeatedly and dredge up same old biased replies :

Chain vs Rope anchor rodes

Diesel quality and 'Bugs'

White vs Red Diesel (need to be in EU to understand that one !)

Power gives way to Sail

................ they really do drag the barrel for some of the most hilarious and daft posts ever !! And gets very rude / heated at times ..

Here - I put Batterys and Range subjects similarly ... and of course the 'Rules" where and how to fly.

happy New Year ...

Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

solentlife Posted at 12-31 00:56
In the yachting world there are a number of subjects that come up repeatedly and dredge up same old biased replies :

Chain vs Rope anchor rodes

2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Just for the record :

Anchor rodes : I carry full chain rode for main bow anchor and short chain + rope for my Lunch Hook !

Diesel and Bugs : I treat my diesel to odd doses of Startron Enzyme to break up the bugs and they burn in the engine.

White vs Red Diesel : UK is fighting a never ending battle over that one to keep Red available for yachts, Brexit will make it worse as yachts will be under severe pressure when sailing into EU ports with Red D in their tanks.

Power gives way to sail : As an Ex Seagoing Ships Senior Officer and a keen yachtsman .. I do not impede the passage of a ship nor do I create situations that can lead to risks. Its easier for my 4 tons to get out of the way of 100,000 tons of ship regardless of open sea or not. Bold turn away that he can see and all is fine. There are too many heroes ended up in the water through being stubborn.

Just for the record !!

Cheers
Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

solentlife Posted at 12-31 01:31
Just for the record :

Anchor rodes : I carry full chain rode for main bow anchor and short chain + rope for my Lunch Hook !

We used to sail in Sharks Bay Western Australia when we lived up north,  always had chain & rope for main.  Rope only for the Lunch Hook.  Sharks Bay is not very deep water at all,  so short chain/rope is good.

Always treat diesel for the bugs & water - still do with the 4WD & caravan Diesel Heater.  IMO it is a must.

White/Red diesel ?  What's that about ? Is one of them Tax free or something similar ?   

I am with you with the "Power gives way to sail"  Yeah sure it does - sometimes.  Like you say,  why put yourself in the situation to start with ?

Back to the diesel...........
TVO (Tractor Vapourizing Oil) used to be coloured.  Farmers got it (Parrafin/Kerosene) at a tax free rate for use in agricultural machinery.  Gawd help you if the inspector caught you with it in your heater.  That was back on the Isle of Man in the 50/60's.  Don't know how long it carried on.  I left there in the late 60's.
Interesting,  very interesting.
2018-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Red Diesel is low taxed Agricultural Diesel. For some strange reason boating was included in the listing to allow diesel powered boats to have the concession. The usual Red Diesel was 0.2 S regular diesel until more strict regulations reduced the S levels to similar to White Road Diesel.

The EU has for many years been fighting to have UK stop the sale of Red Diesel to UK yachts ... at one time French boats were filling up and nipping back !! The price differential is substantial.

Some think that they can get away with using Red and then changing to White .... not so easy. Red Diesel is treated with what we call Red Dye, Yellow Marker. That means that you can indeed get your tank back to white and literally no sign of Red ... but the Yellow marker is a chemical that can be detected down to minute amounts and is extremely difficult to remove once it 'marks' the tank. It does eventually. Most road side tests to check - only look for the Red Dye ... but if Authorities suspect use - then they submit the sample to lab for Marker detection.

TVO ... blimey that's going back a bit. You'll be talking about Spitfire Starter Cartridges next ! I never drove one - but did get to see one and it being started ... the old Pom Pom single cylinder TVO tractor. Started by that Cartridge.

You'd like my Belarus Tractor ... real old russian diesel engine that can survive just about anything ! There are three starter versions :

Rope pull to a small gasoline engine that then kicks in to spin the big diesel engine over. You can be there all day trying to get that to fire up !

Like mine that has an electric starter motor to spin that gasoline engine over and then once it starts - it kicks in to spin the diesel engine. Un-silenced of course !

or the later where the starter motor is direct to the diesel as in most vehicles.

Nigel
2018-12-31
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Happy new year!
2018-12-31
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just in case summer is getting to you.........

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D386%26typeid%3D386

Randy
2018-12-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 12-31 13:22
Just in case summer is getting to you.........

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=174930&extra=page%3D2%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D386%26typeid%3D386

Phewww,  thanks Randy,  that cured my withdrawals !  
All the best for 2019
2018-12-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

solentlife Posted at 12-31 03:07
Red Diesel is low taxed Agricultural Diesel. For some strange reason boating was included in the listing to allow diesel powered boats to have the concession. The usual Red Diesel was 0.2 S regular diesel until more strict regulations reduced the S levels to similar to White Road Diesel.

The EU has for many years been fighting to have UK stop the sale of Red Diesel to UK yachts ... at one time French boats were filling up and nipping back !! The price differential is substantial.

One thing is for sure  the "Old Girl"  would never do for a get-a-way vehicle !
I love that sort of "Agricultural" machinery - unlike what they call a tractor now-a-days.
Had a bit to do with the Russial Murel BMW look alike back in the 70's.  Nice clanky old things.
I remember the cartridge start tractors.  One in particular was the Field Marshall,  a massive single cylinder engine.  They used to tow the threshing & baling machines to our farm & then power the machinery by (crossed) belts.   Wow,  when I think of the belts flying around all over the place & the machinery whirring....... a current Occ Health & Safety Inspector would pop his lid at the sight !
2018-12-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 12-31 16:13
One thing is for sure  the "Old Girl"  would never do for a get-a-way vehicle !
I love that sort of "Agricultural" machinery - unlike what they call a tractor now-a-days.
Had a bit to do with the Russial Murel BMW look alike back in the 70's.  Nice clanky old things.

I drive our old Nuffield 3 cylinder diesel around the property, without brakes. They siezed up years ago and I simply drop the slasher on the ground to stop it. That would also cause the OH&S guy to have a fit.
2018-12-31
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 12-31 16:21
I drive our old Nuffield 3 cylinder diesel around the property, without brakes. They siezed up years ago and I simply drop the slasher on the ground to stop it. That would also cause the OH&S guy to have a fit.

Shhssss,  best not post any more info or they'll be out to get you.
Some standards make you laugh,  some make you want to cry !
2018-12-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mine are charged...
6699609D-006C-46BD-AAA4-92C8363B360F.jpeg

EE37F46E-C702-4B00-AE41-C27829031127.jpeg

06643CD5-6CAA-4BF8-BB04-3B0092E34246.jpeg

7E347B78-51E8-460B-9579-EDE66A84FAF6.jpeg

Thanks

RedHotPoker
A1040099-5553-46B4-B948-ED9C5BDC2129.jpeg
2019-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Check out this battery in Australia.
23B2E23F-D928-4A77-854E-D0A4A986A091.jpeg

The biggest.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-1
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Mmmm,  I dare you'd get more than 30 minutes endurance outa that bank !
Last year SA installed the worlds biggest ever battery bank at 100Mw.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017 ... ished-in-sa/9183868  
2019-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules