1291 7 2018-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8bb3aeee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1811480 ft
Australia

Hi All,

Had my very first crash late yesterday (have been flying Phantoms since mid 2015 - P3S and now the P4P+ since Jan 2018 -- P3S still flies),

Just wondering about peoples thoughts and if i've made the correct choice,
i've already filed for repair... and I did mark it as 'user fault', but after some reading, i'm not entirely sure if that was correct now

It occured within 5 seconds of taking off, less than 10ft off the ground, I pushed the right stick forward to begin moving outward, and suddenly the drone went into a 360 downward spin, unlike anything i've ever seen before

after it hit the ground, the first thing I noticed was one of the propellers was missing,

there is minimal damage to the unit itself, but the landing gear is bent, some plastic tabs have come out, and 1 LED cover missing

my first assumption was I must of left the prop loose, so, i submitted my repair request as 'user fault', but after doing some reading today it seems that if left loose, they will come off immediately on engine power up, not after taking off.

flight log is here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/AHMB6BUX5TG150FOQQ3F

you can see it begins to spin by the 15second mark, and by 16seconds the log records the prop is missing, while still at 7.2 feet, so it didnt come off when it hit the ground.

unfortunately i was unable to locate the prop, so have no idea if it broke, everything happened so  quick and unexpected, its hard to say exactly what  occured... the props themselves are new - possibly a few hours of flight time - as i just purchased the 9455S blades at the end of November, specifically to try while on my trip

thoughts? should i re-file my repair request as mechanical fault? it is still under 12 months old for a couple more weeks

Cheers,
rob

2018-12-31
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

When I had first got my P4  the plastic mount piece that the propeller sits on broke on 1 of the mounts. I stupidly bought an after market replacement piece. Every time I started the motors after installing the replacement part, the prop would go flying off. That happened about 3 or 4 times in a row. Being more stupid I continued to fly it once the prop stayed on after lift off..I started to fly foward like you, and after about 50 ft the prop went flying off again causing it to crash. I think this mght have been a rare occurance with the mount breaking, but I would check yours and see if maybe one of the 3 little pieces on the mount broke off.  
2018-12-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI fans8bb3aeee, no, not always straight away although in my case it did, it sounds like you 1st thought, user error,  since my error, i always tiple and sometime (mostly) check it more times than i can count, its almost second nature now, there is a way to visually check too or which i also do and thats checking the height of the props, they will sit lower if there are not on properly so check the gaps between props and motors, shouldnt be too costly but a pain in the @ss nonetheless
2018-12-31
Use props
fans8bb3aeee
lvl.1
Australia

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 12-31 20:10
When I had first got my P4  the plastic mount piece that the propeller sits on broke on 1 of the mounts. I stupidly bought an after market replacement piece. Every time I started the motors after installing the replacement part, the prop would go flying off. That happened about 3 or 4 times in a row. Being more stupid I continued to fly it once the prop stayed on after lift off..I started to fly foward like you, and after about 50 ft the prop went flying off again causing it to crash. I think this mght have been a rare occurance with the mount breaking, but I would check yours and see if maybe one of the 3 little pieces on the mount broke off.

Thanks for suggestion,

Just taken a look, but they all seem identical to each other.. none appear damaged at all
2018-12-31
Use props
fans8bb3aeee
lvl.1
Australia

Bashy Posted at 12-31 20:17
HI fans8bb3aeee, no, not always straight away although in my case it did, it sounds like you 1st thought, user error,  since my error, i always tiple and sometime (mostly) check it more times than i can count, its almost second nature now, there is a way to visually check too or which i also do and thats checking the height of the props, they will sit lower if there are not on properly so check the gaps between props and motors, shouldnt be too costly but a pain in the @ss nonetheless

Hey Bashy,

Funny you mention that, i used to double/tripple check the Phantom3, guess I got lazy over the years

But, not so much worried about paying to repair it, more concerned if i send it back for a repair, but there is another underlying fault... (is a full test/check of every component done during repair?)

am just glad it happened when it did, and not 30-60 seconds later while over the ocean

2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Rob, I'm sorry to read the crash. If the unit is under the warranty period and you have doubts about the crash, we can still arrange data analysis to check the exact status. Please kindly tell us your case number, we'll forward to the team and arrange for you.
2019-1-1
Use props
Danny Castillo S
New

Costa Rica

Hi,

Unfortunately I just hand my first unexpected landing... no casualties but the rear right landing leg

Any idea how/where to get one?
Thanks a lot y'all!
2019-1-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Danny Castillo S Posted at 1-2 15:41
Hi,

Unfortunately I just hand my first unexpected landing... no casualties but the rear right landing leg

Hi Danny, please kindly write an email to support@dji.com, the designated team will check and see whether the part is available.
2019-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules