Osmo Pocket SD Card Format Error
45716 39 2019-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
7A1M1N6
lvl.2
United States

Hello,
I just filled up a 64 GB mini SD card on my Osmo Pocket and formatted it just like any other SD Card into my PC. I used the default:
Capacity: 59.4 GB
File System: exFAT (Default)
Allocation Unit Size: 4096 kilobytes
The formatting process goes smoothly, I unplug the device after ejecting and when I try to record, it gives me the:
"Format Required" error and "ERROR SD" appears in the bottom right corner. When I attach the Osmo to a phone (IPhone X, latest updates and software), it gives me the same errors. When I try to format the card through DJI Mimo, the "Format" Button is grayed out and cannot be toggled. When I try and record or take a photo through the app, it pops up "SD Card Error" and doesn't record any footage.

If someone could please help me with this issue, that would be great.
Thank you.
2019-1-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the incovenience. I would like to clarify that you've managed to reformat the SD card using your PC, however, it will not allow you to do it using the application? May we know the model of your mobile device?  May we know the exact model of your SD card?  Please provide us with a screenshot of this concern for further help?
2019-1-1
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only had this happen once when I grabbed a card that was formatted with Raspberry Pi settings. Reformatted in my PC and it was good to go. Have to tried reformatting on a PC or Mac.
2019-1-1
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I had a similar issue, but I managed to format it through the Osmo Pocket. You need to swipe down, choose settings, swipe right, choose storage, then format.
2019-1-2
Use props
sixthday
lvl.2
United States

It is the partition of the SD card, you will need to remove and recreate the partition. The cause is that the factory default partition of some SD Card includes overlay info at the beginning. Some reader deal it fine, but some are not.
Check this old thread

https://forum.dji.com/thread-39458-1-1.html
2019-1-2
Use props
Taiming
lvl.2
United States

Awesome! I tried formatting the card from inside the Osmo Pocket and that did the trick.
Thanks for all the help.
2019-1-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Taiming Posted at 1-2 16:22
Awesome! I tried formatting the card from inside the Osmo Pocket and that did the trick.
Thanks for all the help.

If you must format a modern SD or micro SD card using a PC, then use a dedicated SD Card formatting program which you can download for free from some of the SD card manufacturers websites. I use Lexars SDFormatter. It leaves the hidden partition, files, and folders intact that control the way the card behaves.
Normally though it's best to format a card in the device it is used in and if you swap cards to various devices then format them in the device to be used before using the device.
2019-1-2
Use props
Action Al
lvl.2
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-2 16:53
If you must format a modern SD or micro SD card using a PC, then use a dedicated SD Card formatting program which you can download for free from some of the SD card manufacturers websites. I use Lexars SDFormatter. It leaves the hidden partition, files, and folders intact that control the way the card behaves.
Normally though it's best to format a card in the device it is used in and if you swap cards to various devices then format them in the device to be used before using the device.

Hi Folk, I have a similar issues with my OSMO Pocket as I am getting this error message: SD card is abnormal and needs to be replaced...have tried reformatting it but no joy as getting Format Failed message. The Pocket & Card were working well today but when tried videoing tonight I couldn't as am getting this error. I even tried a similar SD card out of my Go Pro but got the same error message. Can someone recommend a fix?
2019-1-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Action Al Posted at 1-5 05:46
Hi Folk, I have a similar issues with my OSMO Pocket as I am getting this error message: SD card is abnormal and needs to be replaced...have tried reformatting it but no joy as getting Format Failed message. The Pocket & Card were working well today but when tried videoing tonight I couldn't as am getting this error. I even tried a similar SD card out of my Go Pro but got the same error message. Can someone recommend a fix?

If you take any memory card from one device to another the first thing you must do is format the card in the new device before using it. But possibly before that format in the old device first and then format a second time in the new device. Also, make sure the card is compatible. Even cards of a similar spec can go wrong if not on the approved list for a given device. Stick with brands Such as SanDisk, Lexar, and possibly Samsung.
2019-1-5
Use props
Action Al
lvl.2
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-5 05:52
If you take any memory card from one device to another the first thing you must do is format the card in the new device before using it. But possibly before that format in the old device first and then format a second time in the new device. Also, make sure the card is compatible. Even cards of a similar spec can go wrong if not on the approved list for a given device. Stick with brands Such as SanDisk, Lexar, and possibly Samsung.

I am using a reputable SD card it’s a Sandisk Extreme 64GB Micro SDXC Card.
I was previously recorded using this card, but when I tried recording latter in the day I couldn’t... didn’t change anything, am using the same card, which was still in the camera. Just turned on camera to record and now get error message. Tried to reformat card in camera but am unable to do this...get error on Pocket and on iPhone when try to reformat from phone.

2019-1-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Action Al Posted at 1-5 17:28
I am using a reputable SD card it’s a Sandisk Extreme 64GB Micro SDXC Card.
I was previously recorded using this card, but when I tried recording latter in the day I couldn’t... didn’t change anything, am using the same card, which was still in the camera. Just turned on camera to record and now get error message. Tried to reformat card in camera but am unable to do this...get error on Pocket and on iPhone when try to reformat from phone.
[view_image]

Looks like you've binned it then.  It looks like a card failure. If it's new and you still have a receipt for it, see if you can get it replaced.
2019-1-5
Use props
Action Al
lvl.2
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-5 18:54
Looks like you've binned it then.  It looks like a card failure. If it's new and you still have a receipt for it, see if you can get it replaced.

Purchased a new SD card and my little Rippa of a Pocket is back in action !
Unsure why or what could have caused my original card to fail...
Thanks for you assistance.
2019-1-5
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Action Al Posted at 1-5 19:44
Purchased a new SD card and my little Rippa of a Pocket is back in action !
Unsure why or what could have caused my original card to fail...
Thanks for you assistance.

Micro SD cards are quite fragile by comparison to other cards. Slight bending on insertion or extraction can destroy the substrate layers. On the plus side, they are incredibly cheap for their capacities and read-write speeds although I notice on your images you seem to be paying twice as much for your cards as I can get them for in the UK. Really look around for the best prices. If I'm honest, devices using these cards are the only devices I prefer to keep the cards in for transfer rather than pulling the card for that reason. I will only pull a card if the device has run out of storage.  
2019-1-6
Use props
Action Al
lvl.2
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-6 02:57
Micro SD cards are quite fragile by comparison to other cards. Slight bending on insertion or extraction can destroy the substrate layers. On the plus side, they are incredibly cheap for their capacities and read-write speeds although I notice on your images you seem to be paying twice as much for your cards as I can get them for in the UK. Really look around for the best prices. If I'm honest, devices using these cards are the only devices I prefer to keep the cards in for transfer rather than pulling the card for that reason. I will only pull a card if the device has run out of storage.

Good tip....keep card in camera and download pics From there do not remove card to download .
Thanks for your help.
2019-1-6
Use props
Action Al
lvl.2
Australia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-6 02:57
Micro SD cards are quite fragile by comparison to other cards. Slight bending on insertion or extraction can destroy the substrate layers. On the plus side, they are incredibly cheap for their capacities and read-write speeds although I notice on your images you seem to be paying twice as much for your cards as I can get them for in the UK. Really look around for the best prices. If I'm honest, devices using these cards are the only devices I prefer to keep the cards in for transfer rather than pulling the card for that reason. I will only pull a card if the device has run out of storage.

Good tip....keep card in camera and download pics From there do not remove card to download .
Thanks for your help.
2019-1-6
Use props
mavickesh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74321 ft
Italy

Is possibile to format sd card straight out of the camera? Without dji mimo app? Thanks
2019-2-2
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mavickesh Posted at 2-2 03:37
Is possibile to format sd card straight out of the camera? Without dji mimo app? Thanks

Yes. someone explained how to do that towards the middle of this thread.
Swipe down on the screen and press the cog button on the first cog to appear. Swipe left until you see the   'Storage button' button and press the icon. You will then get the format option.
2019-2-2
Use props
pdasilva73
New
United States

Hello, i have the same problem with two diferent sd cards. Now i can´t format the cards even from inside the mimo app. It says it is formated but  doesn´t record anything on them. It says they are write protected. On both of them i was using the dji mimo to see the photos and when i left the app the cards where damaged. One of 64 GB and another of 16GB. I have tried a lot of ways to unlock the cards but they don´s format in anyway. Does any of you have any idea to fix this or s this some problem with the osmo tha breaks the cards???
2019-5-3
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Format it with another device, p.e. with PC.
2019-5-3
Use props
pdasilva73
New
United States

BeterBan Posted at 5-3 14:54
Format it with another device, p.e. with PC.

it says write protected. i have tried various methods to unlock the write protection and nothing. Sometimes it says that has made the format but when i go to the view files mode the same pictures are there and it is not formated.
2019-5-3
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Ouch ... price of my 256GB microSD was €34 = $38
But also 32GB for €3 works with no problems!

2019-5-4
Use props
djiuser_TRyKBdP3K1aK
New

United Kingdom

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-2 00:27
I had a similar issue, but I managed to format it through the Osmo Pocket. You need to swipe down, choose settings, swipe right, choose storage, then format.

Thank you for sharing as I was having difficulty working out how to format the card using the pocket.
2019-5-9
Use props
djiuser_TRyKBdP3K1aK
New

United Kingdom

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-2 00:27

Thank you for sharing as I was having difficulty working out how to format the card using the pocket.
2019-5-9
Use props
djiuser_GWHH2qDyQaZk
New

France

I have the same problem but when I try to format my SD card from the Osmo pocket in the settings, it doesn't work. I get an error message "SD card error". I tried with 3 different SD cards and same problem
2019-5-10
Use props
djiuser_Oe8ICN5bEKv4
lvl.1
Italy

I have the same problem but when I try to format my SD card from the Osmo pocket in the settings, it doesn't work. I get an error message "SD card error". I tried with 2 different SD cards and same problem. My 2 cards are Sandisk Extreme 64GB Micro SDXC Card. Anyone solve this problem ? could be an hardware issue in sd slot reader?
2019-8-22
Use props
djiuser_Oe8ICN5bEKv4
lvl.1
Italy

Hi, I have the same issue. do you find a solution on this issue ? thank you in advance!
2019-8-22
Use props
Colby Gordon
lvl.1

Mine does the same thing just says error  -7
2019-9-2
Use props
fansec01a76c
New

I have the same issue!! Connected my iPhone, and MIMO asked to insert SD card for firmware update. Inserted SD Card, Power on my Osmo Pocket and then displays FORMAT REQUIERED and ERROR SD. I tried to format in Osmo and appears FORMAT FAILED. I tried two different SD cards, and format on Windows as NTFS, FAT32, exFAT several times, and still doesnt work!!
WHATS NEXT???
2019-9-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

fansec01a76c Posted at 9-25 11:05
I have the same issue!! Connected my iPhone, and MIMO asked to insert SD card for firmware update. Inserted SD Card, Power on my Osmo Pocket and then displays FORMAT REQUIERED and ERROR SD. I tried to format in Osmo and appears FORMAT FAILED. I tried two different SD cards, and format on Windows as NTFS, FAT32, exFAT several times, and still doesnt work!!
WHATS NEXT???

Please give the specification and make of the card used. It may not be fast enough or have an A2 rating or be too large.
2019-9-25
Use props
fansec01a76c
New

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-25 16:06
Please give the specification and make of the card used. It may not be fast enough or have an A2 rating or be too large.

2019-9-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

That's way too slow to work with the Osmo Pocket. Minimum spec is at least a U3 card and then preferably a V30 and A2 spec on top of that if you expect it to work with the Mimo app on your phone. I'm not keen on Kingston cards for video either. Their internal structure memory layout is not as good as those from SanDisk, Lexar, or Samsung for video work. The size of memory is fine though.
2019-9-26
Use props
djiuser_sSNlz7sviT8t
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29281 ft

This happened to me even after I bought another sd card and the same happened I contacted DJI they sent me a label I sent the pocket back to them and they sent me a brand new pocket.
2019-9-30
Use props
K.Takagi
New
Thailand

I had same pr
2019-10-26
Use props
videotourist
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

I bought an Osmo Pocket just under a year ago (still under warranty).
It used to work fine with the Sandisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2 UHS3 card.

After many months of happy usage there was an issue with the gimbal, DJI replaced it. Thanks - amazing service.

But the new unit could not read the SD card (that used to work fine with the first osmo pocket I had). The card works on other devices and laptop.

So I bought a new card to be sure. But same issue: cannot read, cannot format etc... (see photos).

Has anybody had the same issue?

Is the Sandisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2 UHS3 card compatible after all? How come i was able to use it for many months on the first Osmo pocked I had?

2019-12-5
Use props
Bennetz
New
Italy

I have the same problem: my Osmo Pocket doesn't accept my Adata  256 GB SD card: it's a Premier One, Class 10, UHS-II U3, V90 - declared 275 MB/s. A friend uses it perfectly on his Mavic Pro, I tried formatting it with a PC but my Osmo Pocket still says "SD error" and "format failed" when I try to format it. I cant' believe such a card is not compatible, it's superfast...
I asked the tech support, but... this is the answer:
"In regards to the SD card that is compatible to your unit, kindly refer to the screen shot below. You might need to have that kind of SD card to use the unit itself."
LOL here is the screenshot:

2020-2-17
Use props
djiuser_J13PaIYEuavT
New

Malaysia

I have same issue, the memory card provided by dji store, *Lexar 633x 64GB micro sdV30 Xc1. Then how to solve?
2020-12-7
Use props
Marcos70s
New
Brazil

I had the same issue with a Samsung U3 128 Gb card. For me the problem was that, while the card was indeed formatted as exFat, it was set up as an extended partition. I deleted it and created a primary partition, then everything went fine. I used the Diskpart command line util in Windows to fix that.
2021-2-27
Use props
JCF007
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17933 ft
United States

I usual this when a SD card doesn’t work.
Many times my Raspberry Pi will scew up cards.
Go to you PC and use Diskpart., delete all partions and reformat.
If that doesn’t work use  GParted
Here is a link.
Save it
It’s a lifesaver
Gparted
2021-4-4
Use props
djiuser_dfWOYw8QkhQj
New

United Kingdom

Hi All,
Just purchased a second hand osmo pocket 1.

Didn't came with sd micro card, so needed to get one.
After insert a brand new scandisc extreme u3 v30 hc1 A1 32gb all worked perfectly for first time. After first use removed card and pop in to PC to download photos.

2nd time when I was up for using it again, for a big surprise it pop out message that SD Card Error (also with option to unable to format card in the device.)

After researching all forum, I find 4 different sd cards at home and tried all options with them (format, recrate partition on PC and also format on other devices) no Luck. It pop out same message all time - sd card error and without option to format in device (failed formatting).

See pictures of all sd cards I have tried. Also one of scandisc extreme was brand new-still didn't work)now I'm at point to give up to buy a new cards all time and wasted money. Is it possible that something is wrong with device? All cards work on (pc, Canon camera, gopro, phone).
2021-6-13
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

All my Kingston U3 cards works with Pocket 1. Even that 256Gb. But none of the same Kingston cards are working with Pocket 2.

Pockets are my first gear giving hard times with SD cards. There are even online shops selling Kingston cards with Pocket 2 and I know they will eventually fail recording. Sad for customers..

DJI should seriously do list of working SD cards and give better support. That list on the net is not 2021. I have bought actually 2 cards just to try what works and it is not funny.
2021-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules