Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Zenmuse X5 and Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe someone can provide me a little more insight than what I can find elsewere. I have an X5 and today I got the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ. My question is with the balancing ring in place should the camera be level like with the stock lens when powered down or does the balancing ring provide weight only for when it's powered up for stability? Any info would be great. Thanks.

2019-1-2
Use props
Caspers driver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Kevin, I think each has to decide what they will except as “normal or proper “. As for myself, each of my lens balance near perfect on all axis, when POWERED DOWN. I figure it’s just like my telescopes. They put less stress on motors when balanced.

Welcome to the fun world of tweaking.
2019-1-2
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

the weight ring is meant to balance when powered on. i believe you can power on the craft so the lens extends then remove the lens and it stay extended. power the bird down and reinstall the lens and see that its balanced
2019-1-2
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 1-2 19:17
Kevin, I think each has to decide what they will except as “normal or proper “. As for myself, each of my lens balance near perfect on all axis, when POWERED DOWN. I figure it’s just like my telescopes. They put less stress on motors when balanced.

if you balance it in the pancake mode then turn it on im not sure its still balance but more so now front heavy putting more strain on the motors
2019-1-2
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 1-2 19:17
Kevin, I think each has to decide what they will except as “normal or proper “. As for myself, each of my lens balance near perfect on all axis, when POWERED DOWN. I figure it’s just like my telescopes. They put less stress on motors when balanced.

When yours is powered down is the lens extended?
2019-1-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TruGreen Posted at 1-2 22:18
if you balance it in the pancake mode then turn it on im not sure its still balance but more so now front heavy putting more strain on the motors

I can't imaging it being balance when fully retracted.
2019-1-3
Use props
Caspers driver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 1-3 02:26
When yours is powered down is the lens extended?

My apologies Kevin. I only have 7.5, 17, 25, and 45mm lens. No EZ lens and frankly thought that version had internal focus. My bad !!
2019-1-3
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

there will be no balance with the lens retracted, it will be very rear heavy and rest looking at the stars. Once the lens comes to life the ring will be placed up front where it needs the weight and "somewhat" balance it. Frankly mine is not and specially flying in windy conditions it tends to bounce in not very good way.
2019-1-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 1-3 12:27
there will be no balance with the lens retracted, it will be very rear heavy and rest looking at the stars. Once the lens comes to life the ring will be placed up front where it needs the weight and "somewhat" balance it. Frankly mine is not and specially flying in windy conditions it tends to bounce in not very good way.

I found out today that in the wind it has some jello issues!
2019-1-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 1-3 12:23
My apologies Kevin. I only have 7.5, 17, 25, and 45mm lens. No EZ lens and frankly thought that version had internal focus. My bad !!

No problem Caspers. Thanks for the help.
2019-1-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

there will be no balance with the lens retracted, it will be very rear heavy and rest looking at the stars. Once the lens comes to life the ring will be placed up front where it needs the weight and "somewhat" balance it. Frankly mine is not and specially flying in windy conditions it tends to bounce in not very good way.

I'm not so sure that the balancing ring is doing what it is intended to do.
2019-1-3
Use props
Kevin Halle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the info mixchief. One more question. Does yours make a lot of noise?
2019-1-3
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kevin Halle Posted at 1-3 12:59
Thanks for the info mixchief. One more question. Does yours make a lot of noise?

No actually it doesn't which surprises me since it really isn't balancing right. Usually excessive noise means the balance is off
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules