DJI Spark battery fell out mid flight
3607 27 2019-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf7f8cf8a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124436 ft

United Kingdom

I was recently flying my spark and the battery fell out followed by the drone tumbling to the ground where one of the arms then snapped off.
The drone is out with warranty so I am trying to work out if it is worth sending back to DJI and just paying for a repair.
Is anyone aware of roughly how much it could cost to repair or had a similar incident?

Spark

Spark
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are so sorry to read on the crash accident and the drone has been out of the warranty. The drone will need to be evaluated first and then we can get how much the repair will cost, you can check the price of the main part for reference before sending in: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2019-1-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origina ... Cover-/182727419238

Forget my ebay link, the DJI price ist just:

Middle Frame (Excluding ESC and Motor) 13.00

Or not? Do they send it for low costs?

2019-1-3
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Please invest in a battery clip!
2019-1-3
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Yes I invested in a battery clip, but it's scratching my spark when I put it on, so DJI should make a safe one and send it for free. After all, why do we have to pay to correct a manufacturing error?
2019-1-3
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

Daniella3d Posted at 1-3 19:28
Yes I invested in a battery clip, but it's scratching my spark when I put it on, so DJI should make a safe one and send it for free. After all, why do we have to pay to correct a manufacturing error?

what battery do u have the old or new
Big latch or small ?
2019-1-4
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Yes I invested in a battery clip, but it's scratching my spark when I put it on, so DJI should make a safe one and send it for free. After all, why do we have to pay to correct a manufacturing error?

It’s scratching? What part, the leg? Strange, mine doesn’t scratch anything.
But there are several designs of the clip available.

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Yes I invested in a battery clip, but it's scratching my spark when I put it on, so DJI should make a safe one and send it for free. After all, why do we have to pay to correct a manufacturing error?

Well do agree with that
btw what battery do you have the old one or the new one
here is the comparison between the old and the new battery

Old spark battery.jpg
New spark battery.jpg
2019-1-4
Use props
fans73aec5a3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259 ft
Netherlands

it happened to me as well some days ago.. fortunately was only on 15 meters high and spark looks like that has only two broken light covers..
Battery case crashed and deformed.. opened a case and waiting to hear from the support regarding the next steps..
2019-1-4
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

fans73aec5a3 Posted at 1-4 05:48
it happened to me as well some days ago.. fortunately was only on 15 meters high and spark looks like that has only two broken light covers..
Battery case crashed and deformed.. opened a case and waiting to hear from the support regarding the next steps..

small latch or big?
2019-1-4
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

I completely agree with your comment, the battery is not secure the way DJI designed it.
2019-1-4
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

ssylca44 Posted at 1-4 09:39
I completely agree with your comment, the battery is not secure the way DJI designed it.

the way the battery holds on is bad engineering in my opinion
spark 2 should have better method
2019-1-4
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

SAADHERO Posted at 1-4 11:55
the way the battery holds on is bad engineering in my opinion
spark 2 should have better method

Never mind spark 2, they should fix spark 1 right now, because those latch are going to be used and worn off, and this type of accident is going to become more and more common. Except that most old battery and Spark are going to be out of warranty when it will happen, so they are trying to gain time.

I am glad I bought my Spark with Amex, because that gives me an extra one year warranty. Also, many Amex cards have the feature of 90 days accidental protection. Many credit cards have these options so if your card have it and your drone is pass its one year warranty, think about it.
2019-1-5
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Did you buy I t with a credit card? most credit card offer a one year extended warranty, so you might try that. I know American Express does and many others now offer this. Check that out.
2019-1-5
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Daniella3d Posted at 1-5 08:34
Did you buy I t with a credit card? most credit card offer a one year extended warranty, so you might try that. I know American Express does and many others now offer this. Check that out.

This is a very good suggestion!
2019-1-5
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Seeing all these post about battery falling I just bought a holder. Better safe than sorry.
Concerning the latch there doesn't' seem to be that much difference between the old and new battery and these things will definitely not last long when changing battery frequently (which of course almost everyone does).
2019-1-5
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

And please double check the battery  placement before take off
2019-1-5
Use props
Takis_P
lvl.1
Netherlands

SAADHERO Posted at 1-4 09:29
small latch or big?

Not sure, i believe its the new one
2019-1-9
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

thats the thick latch and new battery
how did it fall huh
was it lose a bit do u pull a bit to see if its secure?
2019-1-11
Use props
Takis_P
lvl.1
Netherlands

SAADHERO Posted at 1-11 01:42
thats the thick latch and new battery
how did it fall huh
was it lose a bit do u pull a bit to see if its secure?

Was inserted firmly, no visual evidence that was not locked, after all was installed in previous flights as well..
I didn't do any particular check before flight because i was not aware for this problem in the past..
2019-1-11
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

Takis_P Posted at 1-11 06:46
Was inserted firmly, no visual evidence that was not locked, after all was installed in previous flights as well..
I didn't do any particular check before flight because i was not aware for this problem in the past..

did u by any chance touch the release slider before taking of making it insecure
2019-1-11
Use props
ajmckay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64682 ft
United States

Oh man that is not good!  On the positive side that ebay link for a new body actually seems pretty reasonable.  I wonder if there are some Youtube videos on how to transfer the electronics into a new body?
2019-1-11
Use props
Takis_P
lvl.1
Netherlands

SAADHERO Posted at 1-11 09:50
did u by any chance touch the release slider before taking of making it insecure

I can't tell, i did the same procedure as always and push it firmly hearing the "clatch" sound securing..
2019-1-14
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Even these new latch are not big enough apparently.
2019-1-14
Use props
pianoplayer7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259055 ft
United States

I have the new latch and I had my battery drop out from 150 feet up in the sky. I was fortunate to have it land in a soft area and had absolutely no damage. Sorry about your crash!

A few tips for those reading this that have an undamaged Spark:
1. Get DJI Care Refresh and Refresh+ unless you have a different insurance. (I learned that too late! I took advantage of the one-minute verification promo DJI had in October)
2. Get the battery clip.
3. Make sure the battery is snapped in well. (My visual observer told me that he didn’t hear the battery snap in as well as usual that day, but assumed that it wasn’t a problem since the drone took off fine!)

Since this can happen on both the new and old clips, make sure that you follow these instructions. I have had no problem since (and I have been using the same battery).
2019-1-14
Use props
skierman64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168855 ft
United States

The DJI warranty covers crashes?
2019-1-14
Use props
Takis_P
lvl.1
Netherlands

In My Case DJI despite that originally they dint accept to fix for free when i provide all evidences (data file, records, video etc) they accept the hardware failure for the battery problem and provide me a free repair with a new battery.  
Waiting to receive it back fixed.

Great Support
2019-1-30
Use props
redman042
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54068 ft
United States

I always take my time to firmly snap in the battery, listen for a pronounced click, then tug on it to make sure it is locked.
2019-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules