528 7 2019-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
well-about_that
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307779 ft
Croatia

Hi,

After 7 hours of flight time with Mavic Air I had a first crash today and subsequently discovered a serious bug. I don't know where could I report it so I'm writing it here.

Summary: The aircraft took off while controls were set to "mode 4" which had unassigned controls - making it impossible to control the aircraft which flew away.

Longer explanation:
After initial flight I landed and went into the menu to try and change controls. I chose "mode 4" and didn't menage to change anything since it is not intuitive to drag-and-drop them in place.

In the meantime there was a message at the top of the app that firmware should be updated. I went to see the "info" and it indeed said it's the older version (which is actually not the case since it was updated as soon as I got it and later, after the reset, it showed the correct version again).  Confused by what's going on I tried to take off which happened successfully even though apparently "old" firmware.

I tried to land it right away but controls were completely unresponsive.

Assuming it will stand still and land automatically (since battery was low) I didn't try to catch it. After a few seconds it started to fly up and over the roof of my house.. I remembered reading it's possible to restart the RC so I did that but it did not help - I still didn't have the control over the aircraft.

The aircraft was trying to land onto the roof but due to the roof's slope it kept giving out error that landing was impossible. Mind you, home point was never set there. Also, I noticed in the log the aircraft "moves" at the beginning of flight even though no speed is registered - I believe that bug somehow messed up home point location since I didn't touch the aircraft at any point.

Anyways, while above the roof I somehow remembered to check the modes for control and there I noticed it was in "mode 4" which had no controls assigned! That's very serious BUG! The aircraft should not be allowed to take off or be set to unassigned controls in the first place!

I managed to get it into mode 2 but it was landing and still in sport mode. While trying to take it into clear and avoid a tree I've hit the house. It was at low speed and only about one meter height so the aircraft seems to be unaffected.

I experienced this while flying Mavic Air but I assume it affects all aircrafts that use DJIgo 4 app.
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day well-about_that. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Air. Since this issue happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for additional analysis on what happened for for additional help. Please sync the flight records as well using your DJI Go 4 application. Thank you.

2019-1-3
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

Thank you for replying Steven!
I did that already but wanted to post here as well so users could be aware of it.

My comment regarding not knowing where to post this was concerning a bug report.

I'm completely aware on what happened but it should not be possible to basically disable controls within an app. Hence this is a bug and I'm not looking for individual support but the way to report it to the development team so it could be fixed in a future update.

If going about the classic email support is a way to do that, then great - I hope they will forward it accordingly. Usually companies have a separate way to report bugs.
2019-1-3
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Just tested with older app and it works as it should.
Your drone have to bee connected to the controller until you have saved the settings.
2019-1-3
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

G_Sig Posted at 1-3 11:57
Just tested with older app and it works as it should.
Your drone have to bee connected to the controller until you have saved the settings.
[view_image]
I have new app and firmware (report that it's old was indeed shown in the app and info but that was not correct).

Also, the problem was not that you cannot set the controls. My comment was that drag-and-drop was not intuitive way to do it (and it's not explained) and thus I apparently exited leaving "mode 4" with UNASSIGNED controls (this should NOT be possible). Therefore in flight I wasn't able to control the aircraft which instead of landing to the spot where it lift from just moments ago, flew away to unassigned home point and tried to land on a top of my roof.
2019-1-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

well-about_that Posted at 1-3 11:31
Thank you for replying Steven!
I did that already but wanted to post here as well so users could be aware of it.

Thank you for the additional information you have given us today. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this information/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further analysis and development. Thank you for supporting DJI.
2019-1-3
Use props
well-about_that
lvl.2
Croatia

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-3 16:24
Thank you for the additional information you have given us today. The best thing I can do to help is to forward this information/thread to our DJI R&D Team for further analysis and development. Thank you for supporting DJI.
Sure Stephen, do what you got to do! I'm just giving you a bug report for free.

I'm quite surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

My flight logs are updated and they can find them under my account. I'll also be available for additional questions if they come up.
2019-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

well-about_that Posted at 1-4 01:32
Sure Stephen, do what you got to do! I'm just giving you a bug report for free.

I'm quite surprised this hasn't come up sooner.

Thank you for the additional information well-about_that and thank you for reporting this issue and for your support with DJI.
2019-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules