Import photos or videos in Apple Photos App
3426 11 2019-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83343 ft
Australia

Hi all.  I have Mavic Air with 64GB SD card onboard.  Settings to use the SD card rather than the onboard memory.  When I try to import photos or videos from the card to my iPad's photos app using a lightning to usb/camera adapter, it says there are no images.  It would seem that it only sees the onboard memory and not the expansion card.  I know that you can remove the SD card and use another adaptor to import the files, but I would like to do it this way.  Reason being the difficulty of getting the SD card out and lately I have trouble getting it to click back in.  I also don't want to carry a laptop with if I could get away with an iPad.
Has anybody been able to import photos from the SD cards rather than built in memory?
Cheers.
2019-1-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

It all depends on how you are filming. iPad doesn't support 4k video or Raw photos.

I know it records 4k but it doesn't import 4k.
2019-1-4
Use props
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Australia

Woe Posted at 1-4 05:16
It all depends on how you are filming. iPad doesn't support 4k video or Raw photos.

I know it records 4k but it doesn't import 4k.

Thanks for the response Woe.  I've not thought of that.  I'll test it by shooting something on the built in memory and try to import that to iPad to see what happens.
2019-1-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

No problem.
2019-1-6
Use props
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Australia

MegaWhat Posted at 1-6 18:46
Thanks for the response Woe.  I've not thought of that.  I'll test it by shooting something on the built in memory and try to import that to iPad to see what happens.

Woe,  I recorded some video and an image on the built in memory rather than the onboard SD card.  When connecting the Mavic Air to my iPad, those files were available for import.  So I don't think it is related to the file type.  Looks like it is related to the location.  Next step is probably to investigate the format type of the SD card vs the built in memory...
2019-1-9
Use props
Scott S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

I had the same issue, I have a ipad mini 4,  it would not transfer 4k movies to my ipad via a SD card and using a lightening adaptor, the ipad mini 4 does not support 4k when i researched this issue even tried direct from the Mavic Air its self this also did not work.
i usually use 1080 to photo & video if i want to see it on my ipad.
hope this little bit of information helps.
2019-1-10
Use props
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Australia

Scott S Posted at 1-10 06:07
I had the same issue, I have a ipad mini 4,  it would not transfer 4k movies to my ipad via a SD card and using a lightening adaptor, the ipad mini 4 does not support 4k when i researched this issue even tried direct from the Mavic Air its self this also did not work.
i usually use 1080 to photo & video if i want to see it on my ipad.

Thanks Scott.  I still haven't checked whether the 4K is an issue or not.  I'm still trying  to figure out why my iPad sees the onboard "drive", but not the SD card...  When I did a test to change the default for recording to the onboard/built in memory, my iPad was able to import the images and videos, but when they are on the SD card, it says there are no images to import.
2019-1-13
Use props
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Australia

When connecting the Mavic Air to my Mac, I saw that the built in memory is formatted as FAT32, but the added SD card is formatted, by the drone, as ExFAT.  I have been combing through other forums now as well to try an figure out if this may be the reason why my iPad can't see the files on the card.  Some people think that iOS has a problem with ExFAT, others not so sure...
2019-1-13
Use props
MegaWhat
lvl.1
Australia

Scott S Posted at 1-10 06:07
i usually use 1080 to photo & video if i want to see it on my ipad.

Scott, I'm also shooting 1080P videos, which I can import when they are on the built in memory.  But not from the SD card.
2019-1-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MegaWhat Posted at 1-13 14:03
When connecting the Mavic Air to my Mac, I saw that the built in memory is formatted as FAT32, but the added SD card is formatted, by the drone, as ExFAT.  I have been combing through other forums now as well to try an figure out if this may be the reason why my iPad can't see the files on the card.  Some people think that iOS has a problem with ExFAT, others not so sure...

Have you tried a lighting to SD card reader
2019-1-13
Use props
Scotty Shep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

Woe Posted at 1-13 16:18
Have you tried a lighting to SD card reader

I have got an unofficial lightening adaptor  for 3rd of the price of an apple one and does not connect from the MA to IPad so always need to take the micro SD card out to transfer.
Maybe time to invest in an offical usb lightening adapter.

2019-1-16
Use props
Stroodle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2524544 ft
Canada

Not trying to divert the thread but my lightening to card reader (Apple product) has difficulty whenever I use a card larger than 32gb.  If it's 32 or less, no issues, if above 32, it has been hit and miss with miss being the more frequent.  May not be your issue but thought I'd mention my experience.  I must also say that this was not with Mavic Air photo/video, it was with a game cam but may still be relevant.
2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules