Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How does the osmo pocket do for travel selfies?
3826 7 2019-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hanamimanah
lvl.1

Singapore

I know the osmo pocket is marketed for its video capabilities, but I see that it is capable of good photography stills, and I've also read that it can take 3x3 selfies, which I feel is supposed to be a huge advantage if Osmo pocket is targetting families and travellers, because it sounds like it can accommodate a lot more than just your head (The gopro can take pretty cool selfies too but you'll need to put it on a stick to also capture plenty of the background)

Unfortunately, having gone through a tonne of reviews online, I simply can't find any reviews or sample pictures of selfie stills, or 3x3 selfies, which makes me wonder if this feature exists at all. Someone who reviewed the camera told me it definitely exists and if you position your head in the middle of the frame, the 3x3 will take the picture down to your knee. However, she didn't / wouldn't share photos. So I'd appreciate it to see some reviews on this feature, and better still if you can share a photo or 2!

2019-1-3
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I just tried this. Definitely not down to your knees (hips maybe) unless you have extremely long arms but does give room for another person either side. Another thing to take into account will be that the image processed on the phone won't be that large (file size wise) as a finished image. To get a larger image you will need to process it afterward on a laptop or such. Fine for instant Instagram images though.
Also take into account that because this has an f2 lens, anything in the far background may look out of focus and anything printed behind you will come out in reverse as the camera is in mirror mode for selfies.
2019-1-3
Use props
hanamimanah
lvl.1

Singapore

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-3 23:43
I just tried this. Definitely not down to your knees (hips maybe) unless you have extremely long arms but does give room for another person either side. Another thing to take into account will be that the image processed on the phone won't be that large (file size wise) as a finished image. To get a larger image you will need to process it afterward on a laptop or such. Fine for instant Instagram images though.
Also take into account that because this has an f2 lens, anything in the far background may look out of focus and anything printed behind you will come out in reverse as the camera is in mirror mode for selfies.

Thanks for trying it out and for sharing! Dang out of focus backgrounds is annoying when you're not trying to achieve that artistic portrait mode.
2019-1-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

hanamimanah Posted at 1-4 00:21
Thanks for trying it out and for sharing! Dang out of focus backgrounds is annoying when you're not trying to achieve that artistic portrait mode.

I'll actually go out and try this outside later to verify if it is an actual problem but my guess would be that it is.
2019-1-4
Use props
djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51342 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 3x3 mode for selfies would work better if there was a self timer option so that you can have time to position yourself.  As it is now, once you press the shutter it immediately starts processing the 3x3 pano and you can’t avoid having incredibly distorted arms and other such oddities.   If you watch the DJI demo videos they are taking 3x3 panos of a subject, not taking a “selfie”.   I hope they add a timer function.   When the wireless module comes out, that will help too.    I like the OP a lot, but for selfies I have not even bothered.  As compared to my 360 cameras, which I used to take selfies all of the time, I stopped taking selfies bc of the OP.  The self timer only works in Photo mode, but the FOV is to restricting.   Really need that timer function for pano shots!
2019-1-4
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf Posted at 1-4 02:10
The 3x3 mode for selfies would work better if there was a self timer option so that you can have time to position yourself.  As it is now, once you press the shutter it immediately starts processing the 3x3 pano and you can’t avoid having incredibly distorted arms and other such oddities.   If you watch the DJI demo videos they are taking 3x3 panos of a subject, not taking a “selfie”.   I hope they add a timer function.   When the wireless module comes out, that will help too.    I like the OP a lot, but for selfies I have not even bothered.  As compared to my 360 cameras, which I used to take selfies all of the time, I stopped taking selfies bc of the OP.  The self timer only works in Photo mode, but the FOV is to restricting.   Really need that timer function for pano shots!

I found a more immediate problem with the 3x3 method of taking a selfie today.
Because it starts it's pan up and to one side of you, it's the background that is in focus with the person definitely out of focus. It didn't matter if I used AFC or AFS.
2019-1-4
Use props
hanamimanah
lvl.1

Singapore

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-4 08:02
I found a more immediate problem with the 3x3 method of taking a selfie today.
Because it starts it's pan up and to one side of you, it's the background that is in focus with the person definitely out of focus. It didn't matter if I used AFC or AFS.

Welp. I guess that's why no one wants to share their osmo pocket selfies Seems challenging to take a decent one.
2019-1-8
Use props
hanamimanah
lvl.1

Singapore

djiuser_jI8pBS5VyFtf Posted at 1-4 02:10
The 3x3 mode for selfies would work better if there was a self timer option so that you can have time to position yourself.  As it is now, once you press the shutter it immediately starts processing the 3x3 pano and you can’t avoid having incredibly distorted arms and other such oddities.   If you watch the DJI demo videos they are taking 3x3 panos of a subject, not taking a “selfie”.   I hope they add a timer function.   When the wireless module comes out, that will help too.    I like the OP a lot, but for selfies I have not even bothered.  As compared to my 360 cameras, which I used to take selfies all of the time, I stopped taking selfies bc of the OP.  The self timer only works in Photo mode, but the FOV is to restricting.   Really need that timer function for pano shots!

I agree that it needs a self-timer option with the pano feature for decent selfies!
2019-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules