Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
And so it begins - the banning of hobby drone flights (UK)
1647 16 2019-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

A local council in the the UK (Coventary) is aparently are going to insitute in law shortly, the banning of hobby drone flights from public spaces that they have responsisblity for - i.e. parks and open spaces etc.
This is just the kind of reaction anticipated, after the (fake) 'drone attacks' at Gatwick airport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-46751423?fbclid=IwAR0Jwkml_v3qR_wXzdIr16vpR7N9-XW9c-_iKxqs3KKxRBpDRLJhTz5lDeo

2019-1-4
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Damn....  Was going to buy a next new drone. Now start thinking is it worth it
2019-1-4
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad I live in the USA where I can fly anywhere I want. lol j/k  (Thank you NLD!)
We definitely have less restrictions than Europe... may change in the future though.
2019-1-4
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

They already have regulations in many other counties.

For example North Somerset: http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/wp- ... rones-procedure.pdf
Bath: https://www.bathfilmoffice.co.uk ... %20March%202018.pdf

They include text such as: Please note permission will not be granted for hobbyist pilots to take off, fly over or land on council land / property

This is frustrating. FWIW North Somerset are over-reaching what they are allowed to dictate as they can't ban a CAA-legal flight OVER their property ... that's up to the CAA, but they can (and do) restrict takeoff/landing on council land.

It's a real shame since open parkland and the like make ideal and safe locations for flights.
It makes you wonder exactly where you CAN fly a drone.

Needless to say I assume most people ignore these "rules", and providing you're not in the main park or on the main beaches then it's unlikely anyone will stop you. If you get approached the worse they'll do is ask you to stop unless you're a persistent offender at the same location.
2019-1-5
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Someone needs to shove a hot poker up their @$$ They still haven't figured out WTF it was at Gatwick. I guess us in the USA will have to wait and see what happens here...
2019-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think the reaction is a bit over the top, but depends on what they mean by public places and what parks.
Although Gatwick was a bit of a farce, it should serve to remind us of the potential to cause real upset when we fly drones, then need to respect our own and others heritage the need to respect the privacy of others , it will only be the drone communities that will suffer if some choose to operate outside the guidelines and rules set down by the powers that be.
2019-1-5
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

rolling56 Posted at 1-5 04:42
Someone needs to shove a hot poker up their @$$ They still haven't figured out WTF it was at Gatwick. I guess us in the USA will have to wait and see what happens here...

Here is another update re: Gatwick More Conspiracy Stories
2019-1-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Sorry!  But not unexpected.  No different across pond.  
Any chance a government body gets to exert more power and control, it will.
One Freedom at a time.  Naturally under guise and justification of ''''for Common good''''.
2019-1-5
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

rolling56 Posted at 1-5 04:42

It makes me think of an old saying " it's only but a fool that goes around shooting all the dogs just because one has the fleas"
2019-1-5
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Looking at all these Trade Wars going on around, am afraid DJI business may be ruined easily with taxes policy  and we become a victims
2019-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not so nice....
2019-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for sharing this informative information it is so sad that even inocent hobbiest are affected with mistakes of others. Lets all be watchful and thank you for your support.
2019-1-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"As a landowner and operator the council is likely to be held liable for any damage caused to people or property as a result of it allowing the flying of drones in its parks and open spaces." ''The concerns are about the nuisance caused by the noise of drones, privacy due to drones carrying surveillance equipment,''

Sounds like Council was looking for an excuse to justify recent paranoia of drones.  Reasoning council stated could be applied to other activities on Coventry property.  (Maybe all following are already prohibited?) Bicycle riding, Skate boards, Jogging with a stroller or while using a cellphone, use of park equipment (swings, merry go round), boom-boxes, playing musical instruments, barking dogs, screaming brats, playing basseball, video and photography equipment, cellphones with decent cameras, etc.

Given the folllowing from report: ''1.1 Over  the  last  few  years  a   number  of  concerns  have  been  raised about  the  flying  of  drones in  both  residential  areas  and  in  open  spaces  including  parks.  The  concerns  are  about the  nuisance  caused   by  the   noise of drones;  privacy  due  to  drones  carry  surveillance  equipment  and  the  potential  danger  they   could  cause  to  wildlife,  animals  and  people  particularly  when  landing. ''

Would be telling to know - How many drone accidents have occurred in Coventry parks and open spaces, and level of severity or damage over past year.  Is it actual problem or merely a concern?  

2019-1-6
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 1-4 12:18
Glad I live in the USA where I can fly anywhere I want. lol j/k  (Thank you NLD!)
We definitely have less restrictions than Europe... may change in the future though.

Yes we still have less restrictions but counties in many states are tightening up. I used to fly in the San Luis Obispo county with no problems until this superintendent Dan Falat issues a total ban on drone in all county parks starting November 2018. Same excuses as before, endangering wild life, disturbing the peace blah blah blah. Yet I see people loitering, destroying property. and making noise with their loud land vehicles. Some people do not keep a leash on their dogs which go and disturb nesting birds. I hate to say it but we need an organized group that represents drone hobby'st. The AMA only cares are about the modelers and drone lovers are just a problematic group.
2019-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MagicRide Posted at 1-6 16:34
Yes we still have less restrictions but counties in many states are tightening up. I used to fly in the San Luis Obispo county with no problems until this superintendent Dan Falat issues a total ban on drone in all county parks starting November 2018. Same excuses as before, endangering wild life, disturbing the peace blah blah blah. Yet I see people loitering, destroying property. and making noise with their loud land vehicles. Some people do not keep a leash on their dogs which go and disturb nesting birds. I hate to say it but we need an organized group that represents drone hobby'st. The AMA only cares are about the modelers and drone lovers are just a problematic group.

I’m kind of amazed that Americans think they have less restrictions on flying drones, if around here is anything to go by NFZ only seem to affect people flying drones in the US, the rules for flying drones in the states are no more lenient than they are throughout Europe, I think what we have in Europe are a much clearer set of rules and in the US it seems rules are a bit fudged, but if you follow the recommendations then rules are basically the same.
2019-1-6
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

I spoke with a few local retailers (business friends) last Saturday and was told that local (Australian) drone sales were in a slow decline until the local CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority)  announced draconian new laws in a knee-jerk reaction to the Gatwick 'incident' caused sales to nose-dive just before Christmas  Australian drones to be registered

As the OP said "And so it begins"
2019-1-6
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-6 17:00
I’m kind of amazed that Americans think they have less restrictions on flying drones, if around here is anything to go by NFZ only seem to affect people flying drones in the US, the rules for flying drones in the states are no more lenient than they are throughout Europe, I think what we have in Europe are a much clearer set of rules and in the US it seems rules are a bit fudged, but if you follow the recommendations then rules are basically the same.

At least where I live there is no enforcement. The cops do not care and do not know the drone laws, the FAA officials do not patrol (why would they?) I seem to be the only drone in the area and I limit my flights to corn fields.  I have never had an issue, even with the Class G airport and getting written permission to fly. I simply watch for planes and do not cross runway paths. Never been a problem, never will be.  The only issue I ever had was DJI enforcement of a NFZ that should not be a NFZ.  That has been resolved.
2019-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules