Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low lens quality and huge distortions
1482 38 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

So disappointed with the Mavic 2 pro quality results. A lot of noise, barrel distortion which is not yet available as a fixing filter on Photoshop and a lot of blurry areas around. Seems that even the Mavic was better. 1" sensor and great new lens? Don't think so.
2019-1-5
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Both of my M2Ps have great photo quality. I wonder if yours has a camera issue.
2019-1-5
Use props
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

I wonder but it's new of course and repeated results in sun and cloudy days. I've noticed that each time someone is complaining about huge distortion and blurriness the reply of DJI is usually - check the hardware. Too often. Cheers mate.  
2019-1-5
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Hi, the noise and distortion can be corrected easily in a Raw converter. A bigger problem seems to be that there are good copys of the Mavic 2 Pro with sharpness all over the image and bad ones with partly blurry areas. At least I have my second one already and still have a blurry area in every image. Very frustrating!
2019-1-5
Use props
Fre Mo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

Could you post some pictures and videos to show us these features.
2019-1-5
Use props
Lisi
lvl.2
Poland

I have the same problem. My first camera in MP2 had blurry area near the center of all images, here is an example - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnsoxnsGSBOLsXdTNwEzjFADFwLc

I sent MP2 to my reseller to fix this issue and after 3 weeks I got my drone back. They replaced camera module and this one is better but now blurry area is on the right side, left side of each photo is much better than right side... When I set focus to infinity + 0.5 bar (in DJI GO app) then blurry part on the right side is slightly less visible but another blurry part appears - on the lower left side of image. Setting aperture to f4.0-f5.6 helps a little but blur is visible on each photo.

Here are pictures from my drone after camera module replacement - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnsoxnsGSBOLshyG4mbbTrNreWCI

I have to send my drone for repair because controller stopped working (it's totally dead after charging using DJI charger) and I am puzzled because I don't know if to report camera issue together with controller issue. If I'll report camera issue then I may get 3-rd camera module with blur on another part of images but mayby luckily I'll get a sharper one...
2019-1-5
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Hi Lisi,
that is very frustrating! I just sent my second and still not working M2P to DJI and they say it is within normal tolerance. So disappointed of the support! Here are some 100 percent crops of my M2P. I am a professional photographer and wanted to built up a drone portfolio, but if this quality is within tolerance, then I might better give the M2P back to the reseller.   i
2019-1-5
Use props
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

Fre Mo Posted at 1-5 10:39
Could you post some pictures and videos to show us these features.

Here is one. They all rather suffer from low quality in general as well.
2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

My guess is the actual camera modules on Mavics are a fraction of the cost of the drone, perhaps 3% -5% of manufacturing cost.

So on a £1000 drone which perhaps costs £200 to make including battery, remote etc before upmarking the camera sensor/lens/housing may only cost 5 to 10 dollars.

Of course, it's perhaps not fair to look at it this way as it doesn't include DJI's R&D and buying power but it perhaps does explain why these things are not equal to 'proper' photographic equipment.

For that they have Inspires etc.

2019-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-6 09:07
My guess is the actual camera modules on Mavics are a fraction of the cost of the drone, perhaps 3% -5% of manufacturing cost.

So on a £1000 drone which perhaps costs £200 to make including battery, remote etc before upmarking the camera sensor/lens/housing may only cost 5 to 10 dollars.

I think you will find after any crash camera is by far the most expensive part to be replaced, so I’m not sure this tallies with your 3%....
2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-6 09:38
I think you will find after any crash camera is by far the most expensive part to be replaced, so I’m not sure this tallies with your 3%....

I think you may find that what DJI charge you for a replacement camera may not be quite commensurate with what it costs them ... .

It probably bears very little resemblance.

2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Would DJI sell the cameras separately I personally would expect to pay around £120 for the Zoom, perhaps £350 for the 2Pro (not because I think it is worth that much more but simply because DJI decided to charge 300 quid more for the drone with the cam being the only difference ... ). That, my friend, is Marketing for you.

Neither would have cost them more than a few dollars and thats ok.

Now, the camera with the thermal imaging module on the Enterprise Dual is a different kind of kettle. The FLIR thermal unit is not cheap. In fact, if you look at how much you would have to pay for an equivalent stand alone unit you are probably looking at cost somewhere in the region of 2/3rds of the whole drone, perhaps even a smidgen more. - Add to that the DJI technology which combines the conventional camera with the thermal unit to increase read out and improve on the FLIR and it makes that drone the best value unit in the Mavic line out ... that is if you need thermal imaging!
2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ps. I hope DJI will make the thermal combination camera of the Enterprise DUAL available to Mavic 2 owners as an aftermarket option. I also hope they would price it at or a little South of a grand.

It would make this a viable option for commercial applications for Mavic 2 owners without having to buy a new drone

Having said that, that may be the reason they will not do so ... .

I hope I am wrong as I for one would be interested.
2019-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-6 12:00
I think you may find that what DJI charge you for a replacement camera may not be quite commensurate with what it costs them ... .

It probably bears very little resemblance.

You miss the point, this has nothing to do with what it costs dji, the post was regarding the percentage cost of the camera as opposed to the rest of the parts of the drone, the poster claimed it probably cost 3% of the total cost of the drone, which just doesn’t add up, so my point being if you crashed the single most expensive part to replace would certainly be the camera.

2019-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-6 12:23
Ps. I hope DJI will make the thermal combination camera of the Enterprise DUAL available to Mavic 2 owners as an aftermarket option. I also hope they would price it at or a little South of a grand.

It would make this a viable option for commercial applications for Mavic 2 owners without having to buy a new drone

I don’t think you will ever see the dual camera available for M2.
2019-1-6
Use props
djiuser_ZFUaSaOBgIxz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My problem is with noise in good light and at ISO100. I tried to remove some of it in LR but any more and any sharpness is gone. Maybe I am doing something wrong or just expecting too much. Probably a combimation of both. Think I will tweek some settings and pay more attention to the histogram.
2019-1-6
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

djiuser_ZFUaSaOBgIxz Posted at 1-6 13:32
My problem is with noise in good light and at ISO100. I tried to remove some of it in LR but any more and any sharpness is gone. Maybe I am doing something wrong or just expecting too much.[view_image] Probably a combimation of both. Think I will tweek some settings and pay more attention to the histogram.

For special images AI Gigapixel can really clean up the noise and ADD detail! Crazy I know but it works.
See this thread over in mavic pilots
2019-1-6
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

I also have noise in my photos, even day photos with iso 100. Hearing how great the camera  and image is,  i was worried it was my idea about the noise... but it is not.
I have sent it in for gimbal tilting problem, the transmitter opened somehow in its top right, and a dead battery after 11 flights. Thankfully battery died before i fly it.
I think this mavic 2 is having too many issues already.  Dji someday will have to apologize for taking people's money and have them waiting not being able to fly, for service or replacements.
2019-1-7
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

If you shoot Raw, then you can remove the noise pretty easily in the Raw converter. I use Capture One Pro 12 and the results are great!
2019-1-12
Use props
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

Thanks Yannik. I actually have the Capture 10 so worth a try but the blurriness on the left is just a manufacturer problem. In video mode you hardly note.
2019-1-12
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Mishmish Posted at 1-12 10:23
Thanks Yannik. I actually have the Capture 10 so worth a try but the blurriness on the left is just a manufacturer problem. In video mode you hardly note.

That´s true. I hope you get a well-working M2P soon. Good luck!
2019-1-12
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

I just received my third M2P and this one is even more unsharp than my two previous versions. Pretty frustrating! I will have to send it in another time. Hopefully number four won´t have a blurry right side!  
2019-1-25
Use props
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

_Yannik Posted at 1-12 11:01
That´s true. I hope you get a well-working M2P soon. Good luck!

That's is rather frustrating. It looks even worse. Mine wasn't even picked yet and I need it for work (archaeology). I'll update with any positive news. Hard to understand how they can get so bad. In other aspect I'm pleased but I bought to capture stills not to fly.
Michael
2019-1-26
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Hi Michael, same with me. I need it for my photography clients and that´s the only reason why I bought it. Here are two more crops to show the big issue.
2019-1-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Netherlands

you make me worry, where are blurred areas?
C143533D-DA1B-421E-A925-AF5063B3E662.jpeg
21604AA7-65FF-4E16-9240-D8D539AB9A7E.jpeg
A8D51480-296F-4701-A529-048097C22350.jpeg
2019-1-26
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

EnricoBrun Posted at 1-26 07:36
you make me worry, where are blurred areas?

According to my opinion they look quite good. By the way nice photos.
2019-1-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

DH_Pilot Posted at 1-26 08:28
According to my opinion they look quite good. By the way nice photos.

Thank you! And they are original without post retouching, and here posted are also less beautiful than I see them.
2019-1-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Netherlands

even with little light, no significant aberrations are known
CD3E5247-26A3-45C1-A2D9-A067D6AD3F7C.jpeg
8DD1F15D-31AF-4DCD-A972-1ABB75AB5C2F.jpeg
2019-1-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Mishmish Posted at 1-26 01:29
That's is rather frustrating. It looks even worse. Mine wasn't even picked yet and I need it for work (archaeology). I'll update with any positive news. Hard to understand how they can get so bad. In other aspect I'm pleased but I bought to capture stills not to fly.
Michael

Hard to understand how they can get so bad.

See recent scandal at DJI involving some of DJI's employees.  Accorrding to DJI, what has been discovered and reported thus far, is "tip of iceberg".

2019-1-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EnricoBrun Posted at 1-26 08:41
even with little light, no significant aberrations are known

Okay, your MP2 doesn't have photo problems.  
How does that help those with MP2s that do have problems?
2019-1-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-26 09:01
Okay, your MP2 doesn't have photo problems.  
How does that help those with MP2s that do have problems?

That was not my intent, I just wanted to understand if they were all provided with these aberrations, because the photos I saw posted here I did not see anything so little defined. That's all
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EnricoBrun Posted at 1-26 09:07
That was not my intent, I just wanted to understand if they were all provided with these aberrations, because the photos I saw posted here I did not see anything so little defined. That's all

Great photos, your camera works the same as mine and I expect most others, but it looks like OP has got some Duds for some reason , the photos seem so blurry that it looks like aircraft could be moving around when shots are taken.
2019-1-26
Use props
Mishmish
lvl.1

Israel

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 10:25
Great photos, your camera works the same as mine and I expect most others, but it looks like OP has got some Duds for some reason , the photos seem so blurry that it looks like aircraft could be moving around when shots are taken.

Hi, that's not the issue. Blurriness only in one or two parts of the photo. I have it all along the left side, Yanick has it each time on a different area after replacement etc. It is not barrel distortion. It is a a company fault which most probably they are aware of as got thousands of complaints.
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mishmish Posted at 1-26 11:23
Hi, that's not the issue. Blurriness only in one or two parts of the photo. I have it all along the left side, Yanick has it each time on a different area after replacement etc. It is not barrel distortion. It is a a company fault which most probably they are aware of as got thousands of complaints.

I only see two complaints here, and I didn’t say what was the problem I surmised, I did say you got a dud, now maybe you can point me to the thousands you are talking about, this thread has been up here for almost 3 weeks yet I see only two people with problems on this thread and I haven’t seen any other thread.
2019-1-26
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-27
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Please, tell me. Am i lucky man or blind man?

2019-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Francis Posted at 1-27 15:40
Please, tell me. Am i lucky man or blind man?

[view_image]

It maybe your settings are what they should be.
2019-1-27
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I can notice a little softness, maybe, in this still. I m from analog film age. Nothing was too sharp as today. I m journalist and  use M2P to make broadcast tv videos, All videos are sharp and very good. White noises on dark areas in low light shots are only my complain. But after i read this topic i took some still shots to test my unit.  Is there any problem here, please?

DJI_0057.JPG
2019-1-27
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mishmish Posted at 1-6 08:40
[view_image]
Here is one. They all rather suffer from low quality in general as well.

Looks like a focusing issue to me.  Mine has been spot on from day one.  Sorry about your issues but mine captures outstanding photos and video.  
2019-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules