Sedona is not really a NFZ? Your thoughs on Class G Airspace?
548 7 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying into Phoenix on the 22nd and out on 26th and we have a car rented to drive to Sedona so.... here's my question.

Sedona is in Class G Airspace.
What rules do you guys follow in Class G airspace?

According to this article flying under 400 ft in Class G is legal and authorization is only needed for airports with a tower.
http://redrocknews.com/news/8888 ... signs-unenforceable

But when you look at this map here http://visit-sedona.s3.amazonaws.com/CMS/4796/drone-map.pdf they list Class G airspace as a NFZ.

Any ideas on who is right here?
2019-1-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Or should I just fly over the National Parks since there's no park rangers around to enforce it due to the government shutdown?
2019-1-6
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-1-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 1-6 17:56
Class G (general) airspace is pretty much everywhere B, C, D, and E airspace isn't. The second map shows the 5 mile radius around the airport. Check the FAA's "B4UFly" app and it shows the same.
From what I understand, flying in National Parks is illegal but National Forests are legal.
States and Local authorities cannot override the FAA's laws. This may change as the President changed a law last October and gave the FAA power to regulate drone hobbyists (even kids).

The Sedona area is in the Coconino National Forest, so I'll just hike and drone away from the airport. But if they have local signs up on those trails also regulating drone use I'm guessing they're not valid, but then again I doubt I'd be able to argue that logic with local police if someone rats me out.
2019-1-6
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-1-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 1-6 19:14
The Sedona area is in the Coconino National Forest, so I'll just hike and drone away from the airport. But if they have local signs up on those trails also regulating drone use I'm guessing they're not valid, but then again I doubt I'd be able to argue that logic with local police if someone rats me out.

just play dumb, dont understand drone, and if they make noises point to sky, point them in a random direction confused..and say you only speak simplified chinese.. xD

(wtf is simplified chinese anyway? its a language option on my some of my stuff)

or do whati usually when im out of town and you already put ur stuff away in ur bag and police roll up wanting to speak to you or others... play dumb and say you saw it too but didn't think much of it and you saw someone ..that way and point them in the direction of where it was..... then once they let u leave just go...  xD
2019-1-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-6 20:39
just play dumb, dont understand drone, and if they make noises point to sky, point them in a random direction confused..and say you only speak simplified chinese.. xD

(wtf is simplified chinese anyway? its a language option on my some of my stuff)

I don't fly around people because they are either distracting, narcs, or know-it-alls. So usually I find a quiet, secluded spot (or even just fly from the road in my parked car). I'm guessing I won't meet much resistance this time of year, but I also have to keep in mind who's going to see my footage when I post it to youtube and want to make sure I have a valid argument to fly where I did. Thanks for all the info and support.
2019-1-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 1-6 20:58
I don't fly around people because they are either distracting, narcs, or know-it-alls. So usually I find a quiet, secluded spot (or even just fly from the road in my parked car). I'm guessing I won't meet much resistance this time of year, but I also have to keep in mind who's going to see my footage when I post it to youtube and want to make sure I have a valid argument to fly where I did. Thanks for all the info and support.

im pretty sure like anywhere else, 98% of the people you encounter will probably be 100% okay with what your doing as long as its just flying and capturing the beauty and not buzcutitng them or chasing them.

1% who you will never convince its okay because they are so messed up themselves

and the other 1% that is concerned but open minded and have question you can clear up and make them feel better about drones

2019-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules