Hyperlapse Project
953 24 2019-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

I've had my Mavic Air for a couple months now and I'm feeling like I'm comfortably in the "intermediate" stage.

So, with a new year and bit of enthusiastic ambition, I have embarked on a project to create a hyperlapse video from 1 January to 31 Decemmber.  The subject is a voyage through the seasons, over a field which will see at least one, but probably two crops planted, grow, and harvested in a year.  Using a fixed point on the ground (with a marker used for positioning), a fixed altitude (measured from a consistent takeoff point), consistent gimbal angle, and a fixed target, I am using the TapFly function to fly the same route repeatedly every few days.  Instead of video, I'm using the camera to take pictures on an interval every 5 seconds at 2.8 MPH.  For orientation, here's the route (RTH at the end):

(raw footage)

My request for the forum is advice on anything you may see as a potential hard spot in this project.  A lot of things will be fixable in post-production, but as the year drags on it becomes harder and harder to correct things.

Has anyone here done this sort of thing before?  What was the most frustrating part?  What would you have done differently?  
2019-1-5
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>

Doesn't look like hyperlapse tbh.
2019-1-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice but agree, doesn't look like a hyper lapse.
2019-1-6
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I think you might struggle to line up the footage exactly each time esp using tap fly, if you're serious about the project then consider using litchi which allows you to run missions; these are a fixed set of way points which would give you an accurate set of videos / stills to blend together.

2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

him7403 Posted at 1-6 02:44
Doesn't look like hyperlapse tbh.

No, it isn't.  It's the route to be flown as pictures are taken throughout the year.  I was saying what the approach is and seeing what advice others (who have done similar things) would have.
2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 1-6 06:21
Nice but agree, doesn't look like a hyper lapse.

That's because it isn't.  It will be in a year though.
2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Ridg Posted at 1-6 07:18
I think you might struggle to line up the footage exactly each time esp using tap fly, if you're serious about the project then consider using litchi which allows you to run missions; these are a fixed set of way points which would give you an accurate set of videos / stills to blend together.

I've been resisting getting Litchi, but I'm starting to think I might have to now.
2019-1-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-6 10:41
That's because it isn't.  It will be in a year though.

Title says hyper lapse. But ok.
2019-1-6
Use props
Stroodle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2524544 ft
Canada

Title say "Hyperlapse Project" - to me that means a Project or work in progress.  People are pretty quick to be judgmental on this forum
2019-1-6
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Read the post, the OP made it clear that it is an upcoming project.
No need to be a RICHARD.

Edit: Typo
2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Stroodle Posted at 1-6 13:14
Title say "Hyperlapse Project" - to me that means a Project or work in progress.  People are pretty quick to be judgmental on this forum

Thank you!  I re-read my OP to make sure I explained it correctly and, yep, it clearly states that this is a project from now to the end of the year.

Now, if dji comes out with a time-travel version of the MA then the complaints would be reasonable.  I don't think that feature is in the works though.
2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 1-6 13:20
Read the post, the OP made it clear that it is an upcoming project.
No need to be a RICHARD.

Your handle is something people call me sometimes!

Thanks for the comment.
2019-1-6
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-6 13:35
Your handle is something people call me sometimes!

Thanks for the comment.

Good luck with your project.
2019-1-6
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

This sounds like a great project and I wish you luck!   I am fairly new to hyperlapse and have only dabbled with it on the MA
2019-1-6
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

This sounds like an interesting project and I wish you luck!
I am fairly new to hyperlapse video, having only dabbled with them using the MA
A few points I would consider:
1. For accuracy and consistency, I would strongly recommend waypoint missions on something like Litchi
2. One location might get a little boring depending on hyperlapse length, check this YT video for some ideas -

3. If you're doing a looped hyperlapse every couple of days for a year, how long will this video be?   I would suggest, have a maximum time in mind for the final video and work out how long each hyperlapse will be, then you will know roughly how many hyperlapse videos you have to play with.   If you want your final project to be 3 minutes long and each hyperlapse is say 5 seconds, you have 36 hyperlapse videos you can use.  Every 3 days, as you suggest, would be 121 hyperlapse videos?  That may be too long to keep peoples interest :-)
4. Be selective and look for days with the largest amount of contrast for each hyperlapse, this will make for the most interesting hyperlapse.  The video above has some good examples.
I'm sure there is plenty more to consider and more knowledgeable people than me will hopefully share their expertise, good luck with your project.
2019-1-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

QuadFunAus Posted at 1-6 14:32
This sounds like an interesting project and I wish you luck!
I am fairly new to hyperlapse video, having only dabbled with them using the MA
A few points I would consider:

Thank you!  This is the kind of advice I was hoping for.

Yes, 3 minutes is about what I have in mind.  It won't be video, but rather stills at a 5 second interval at 2.8 MPH.  This'll allow me to set the speed to whatever I want as I construct a year's worth of "frames" with each still.  

The contrast advice is very good, and I'll try to do that.  I will be restricted by the weather and my schedule, as the growth of the plants will have to be captured fairly regularly in order to make the whole thing work.

As for waypoints, I'm bummed that the dji waypoint option (re-fly an already traveled route) is not yet an option. That would be ideal for this purpose IMO.  But yes, as each day passes the more inclined I am to get Litchi.

As for a location being boring... Well, at any given moment it certainly is, but the annual turnover of fawn and flora is another story altogether.  The variations in color and texture throughout the year is absolutely breathtaking for such a (relatively) small agricultural area.
2019-1-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hahahahahaha.
'it is not a hyperlapse'
NO you did not say it was one ;)

Hyperlapses work best when there is a great sky moving around.
Or something very interesting is moving on the ground.
This location does not have the second one, so it will need the first one.
2019-1-6
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Australia

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-6 15:00
Thank you!  This is the kind of advice I was hoping for.

Yes, 3 minutes is about what I have in mind.  It won't be video, but rather stills at a 5 second interval at 2.8 MPH.  This'll allow me to set the speed to whatever I want as I construct a year's worth of "frames" with each still.  

Hi Skeeter, yes I understand they are stills at 5 sec intervals that will eventually be changed to a hyperlapse video.  The time for each flight was just an example I used to show that a flight every 3 days will equate to a long video over a year.
I also didn't mean that the location you chose was boring.  The point I was trying to make is that any single location will only hold an audience's interest for a VERY SHORT TIME.  If you make a 3 min hyperlapse of the one location, even though things are changing rapidly within the location, I think you will be lucky if you hold most peoples attention for more than 10-15 seconds.  It may be a great hyperlapse and very interesting to you, but the sad fact of modern life is that people skim and your video needs scenes to change fairly rapidly to hold an audiences attention.  
On the other hand, if the hyperlapse is mostly for yourself and you don't care if people watch the entire video or not, then it will be a great project and learning experience!
Cheers mate and good luck!
2019-1-7
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Where oh where is dji messaging of confidence?
2019-1-20
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Very cool Skeeter
2019-1-20
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

Thanks!  I've been flying once or twice per week since posting this, taking stills and video so I have ample material to work with.  I get my badass video editing computer next week and then the fun will really begin!
2019-1-21
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-21 00:59
Thanks!  I've been flying once or twice per week since posting this, taking stills and video so I have ample material to work with.  I get my badass video editing computer next week and then the fun will really begin!

Id be excited Too .What are ya getting ? N I think your ideal is outstanding cant wait to see the end product  
2019-1-21
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

TheVegeta1974 Posted at 1-21 02:31
Id be excited Too .What are ya getting ? N I think your ideal is outstanding cant wait to see the end product

A friend is building it for me.  Here's the component list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fdXwnH

All I wanted was the ability to easily edit 4k and do all kinds of cool stuff with it.  This should easily be able to handle what I need it for.
2019-1-21
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
United States

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-21 03:08
A friend is building it for me.  Here's the component list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fdXwnH

That thangs gonna be smokin , man!
we're up to 32 gig in ram memory now I remember when 2 sticks of 128kb dimm  was more then we'll ever need lol
2019-1-21
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
United States

TheVegeta1974 Posted at 1-21 03:21
That thangs gonna be smokin , man!
we're up to 32 gig in ram memory now I remember when 2 sticks of 128kb dimm  was more then we'll ever need lol

I hope so!  I have all this footage and nothing to really edit with.  (Example: https://forum.dji.com/thread-178614-1-1.html)
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules