123Next >
1941 80 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MurrayL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7248914 ft
Canada

Just got my repaired/drone back on Jan 3 I was sent a refurbished drone. Anyway yesterday the exact same message as the last malfunction. Strong wireless interference followed by a black screen. Aircraft disconnected from controller. I activated find my drone and luckily it was on the side of the road. I checked my flight log controller strength 100, entire route was green with no warning messages. This came out of the blue on a good reception flight. What is causing this. Does wireless internet interfere with drone flying and cause this. There was no warning or distortion on the screen it just came up with strong wireless interferance message and went down. https://app.airdata.com/share/jYajmr
2019-1-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MurrayL. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight. May I know if the firmware of the drone is up to date when you flew it and if you have calibrated the drone as well. Can you also please tell us same backgrounds on where did you fly the drone previously. thank you.
2019-1-6
Use props
Air/America
lvl.4

United States

Do you carry a wireless cell phone in your jacket pocket?
2019-1-6
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Air/America Posted at 1-6 14:58
Do you carry a wireless cell phone in your jacket pocket?

No I don’t carry cell phone when flying.
2019-1-6
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-6 14:37
Hello and good day MurrayL. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight. May I know if the firmware of the drone is up to date when you flew it and if you have calibrated the drone as well. Can you also please tell us same backgrounds on where did you fly the drone previously. thank you.

Yes up to date firmware as I just got it back from DJI California. I calibrated the compass when I got it back. Everything was normal no messages to calibrate anything or update firmware.
2019-1-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-6 15:52
Yes up to date firmware as I just got it back from DJI California. I calibrated the compass when I got it back. Everything was normal no messages to calibrate anything or update firmware.

You probably did not need to ccalibrate the compass at all, most times it is not necessary. If you find that surprising, check out how many posts on here tell you NOT to calibratre the compass. And yes, WiFi is using the exact same frequencies as the radio link to your aircraft. In fact, almost everything radio uses those frequencies. You will get this message if the WiFi is running on your phone or tablet you are using to control the aircraft and particularly if you are flying in an urban environment. Looking at your flight, there is every chance those buildings you were flying over at the far end of the flight had WiFi systems and because of the distance, they may have been stronger than your RC signal.
2019-1-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

When the AC bent to the right in the last leg of flight.....you did yaw the AC to the right with the left stick.

Battery and GPS looked fine, as well as Radio Signal = 100%      Alt approx 130ft for the flight.   Did you get your bird back??  I see nothing to indicate RC/AC issues.  That is out in the sticks, and very few buildings.....other than the 2 across the road......you were BVLOS which means you could not see your AC.  However, could the people in the houses across the street have seen you?  One clean shot could take you out.

Did you get the AC back??  Condition??

Randy
2019-1-6
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-6 19:00
When the AC bent to the right in the last leg of flight.....you did yaw the AC to the right with the left stick.

Battery and GPS looked fine, as well as Radio Signal = 100%      Alt approx 130ft for the flight.   Did you get your bird back??  I see nothing to indicate RC/AC issues.  That is out in the sticks, and very few buildings.....other than the 2 across the road......you were BVLOS which means you could not see your AC.  However, could the people in the houses across the street have seen you?  One clean shot could take you out.

Yes I got it back, it landed on the side of the road at the top of the ditch. It broke the camera right off. The landing gear still intact but it looks like it fatigued them. Also the bottom of the drone got damaged from the camera breaking and being pushed up. I activated find my drone and it took me right to it.  I was lucky that it happened right by the road. I New the battery had lots of charge left I immediately went in that direction thinking hoping it might have been hovering. Safe RTH is suppose to rth if ac is disconnected from controller that never happened don’t know why. It is very strange that it just lost connection as if the battery went stone dead. Battery was still in drone when I retrieved it with lots of charge left.
2019-1-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Murray,  get with DJI support and see what they think......maybe it will be covered.  One can only hope.

Keep us all updated if you please.

Randy
2019-1-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-6 19:28
Yes I got it back, it landed on the side of the road at the top of the ditch. It broke the camera right off. The landing gear still intact but it looks like it fatigued them. Also the bottom of the drone got damaged from the camera breaking and being pushed up. I activated find my drone and it took me right to it.  I was lucky that it happened right by the road. I New the battery had lots of charge left I immediately went in that direction thinking hoping it might have been hovering. Safe RTH is suppose to rth if ac is disconnected from controller that never happened don’t know why. It is very strange that it just lost connection as if the battery went stone dead. Battery was still in drone when I retrieved it with lots of charge left.

If you can upload your flight log to this site: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ we can look at the logs and try and tell you what might have happened. There are instructions on the site to help you upload. Then copy the link to the report, come back here and post it.
2019-1-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-6 19:56
If you can upload your flight log to this site: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ we can look at the logs and try and tell you what might have happened. There are instructions on the site to help you upload. Then copy the link to the report, come back here and post it.

Hey GEE

It appeared that the entire flight is on the AirData link.  the HD View is pretty much the data shown in the log for Phantom Help.  Stick movements and all.....

One can only hope there might be some other info......but you can compare the fields, and they are all there in AirData.

Randy
2019-1-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-6 20:04
Hey GEE

It appeared that the entire flight is on the AirData link.  the HD View is pretty much the data shown in the log for Phantom Help.  Stick movements and all.....

Thanks, but I can't read much in those Airdata logs, the PhantomHelp one is much easier and clearer to read.
2019-1-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've tried looking into the details of your flight.
(Airdata takes a lot more effort to read than the data from Phantomhelp).
Between your description and the data, I'm not sure what I'm suppoesed to be looking for.
There's no crash in  the data.
It ends with the drone 40 (feet or metres ?) up and motoring along at 8.5 (mph or m/s ?)
The course it had flown matches your joystick input.
If there was a crash, it was after this log ended.
Did it crash or autoland?

Interference doesn't cause a drone to crash.
At worst, it might swamp your signal which would cause RTH to initiate.
More information is needed to be able to say inything about your incident.
2019-1-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Assuming "went down" meant that it crashed after your screen went black?
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Labroides Posted at 1-7 02:00
Between your description and the data, I'm not sure what I'm suppoesed to be looking for.

I found it on the side if the road with the camera broken off and the underside if the drone damaged from the camera pushing up on impact. The landing gear took a hard landing. I would say it crashed after screen went black. You tell me why it didnt return to home like its suppose to when signal is lost. I would like to know that. Safe RTH was turned on green.
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

I found it on the side if the road with the camera broken off and the underside if the drone damaged from the camera pushing up on impact. The landing gear took a hard landing. I would say it crashed after screen went black. You tell me why it didnt return to home like its suppose to when signal is lost. I would like to know that. Safe RTH was turned on green.
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Ask what ever questions you have so I can supply you with what ever info you need. My first post explains what happened. This was a total malfunction of a dud drone. It lost signal and never rth like it is suppose to, instead it crashed. There is no data at the end of the flight because it lost signal with the controller. I Found my drone at the gps coordinates at the end of the flight data damaged on the side of the road top of the ditch. The camera broken off and lying just in front of the drone. This would indicate to me a very hard landing or crash landing from 130'.
2019-1-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 08:10
Ask what ever questions you have so I can supply yiy with what ever info you need. My first post explains wgat hapoened. This was a tital malfunction of a dud drone. It lost signal never rth kuje there suppose to and crashed. There is no data at the end if the flight because it lost signal with the controller. Found drone at the gps coordinates at tbe end of the flight data damaged on the sude if the road tip of the ditch with the camera brojen off and lying just in front of the drone. This would indicate to me a very hard landing or crash landing from 130'.

Question:  Did you see post #11?  
2019-1-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Strongly recommend you do as asked in posts 6 and 11.  Best chance to maybe finding out what happened.
2019-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 08:10
Ask what ever questions you have so I can supply you with what ever info you need. My first post explains what happened. This was a total malfunction of a dud drone. It lost signal and never rth like it is suppose to, instead it crashed. There is no data at the end of the flight because it lost signal with the controller. I Found my drone at the gps coordinates at the end of the flight data damaged on the side of the road top of the ditch. The camera broken off and lying just in front of the drone. This would indicate to me a very hard landing or crash landing from 130'.
Strong wireless interference followed by a black screen. Aircraft disconnected from controller.
Like I said, interference doesn't cause crashes.
The interference is an unrelated coincidence.
It's very common to have interference in urban areas but all it does is reduce the distance you can fly and get good signal.

I Found my drone at the gps coordinates at the end of the flight data

There's nothing in your data to show any crash or instability.
The data just ends with the drone in stable flight.
The only inference one can make from this and finding the drone below the last recorded point is that there was a sudden loss of power.

You tell me why it didnt return to home like its suppose to when signal is lost. I would like to know that.
The signal was lost because the drone lost power.
You shouldn't need me to explain why a drone fails to return home when it's lost power.

2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Labroides Posted at 1-7 14:53
Strong wireless interference followed by a black screen. Aircraft disconnected from controller.
Like I said, interference doesn't cause crashes.
The interference is an unrelated coincidence.

You realize it had 80% battery power at the end of the map data and when I recovered it. So when you say lost power Your really saying malfunction. The lights were still flashing when I recovered it, if your saying a loss of power with an 80% charged battery we have a much bigger problem with all drones flying right now.
2019-1-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 16:09
You realize it had 80% battery power at the end of the map data and when I recovered it. So when you say lost power Your really saying malfunction. The lights were still flashing when I recovered it, if your saying a loss of power with an 80% charged battery we have a much bigger problem with all drones flying right now.

It may be due to temperature. I noticed in one of the images that you appeared to be flying in very cold conditions with snow on the ground. When the battery is cold it cannot deliver full power, and this may have caused a precautionary landing, despite what the power value reads. You may not be aware, but the displayed 80% is not a reliable measure of available battery capacity, since it is not possible to measure the charge left in the battery. It is a calculated value arrived at by knowing how much charge was put into the battery and how much power the aircraft has subsequently used. The individual cell voltages under load are a better indication. These can be seen in the log display from PhantomHelp which you do not seem interested in providing. So far there is no evidence of a malfunction at all.
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Geebax Posted at 1-7 18:04
It may be due to temperature. I noticed in one of the images that you appeared to be flying in very cold conditions with snow on the ground. When the battery is cold it cannot deliver full power, and this may have caused a precautionary landing, despite what the power value reads. You may not be aware, but the displayed 80% is not a reliable measure of available battery capacity, since it is not possible to measure the charge left in the battery. It is a calculated value arrived at by knowing how much charge was put into the battery and how much power the aircraft has subsequently used. The individual cell voltages under load are a better indication. These can be seen in the log display from PhantomHelp which you do not seem interested in providing. So far there is no evidence of a malfunction at all.

No the battery  was at 28 degrees at the end of the flight, the battery was actually warming up during flight. I monitor that closely. All I know is the battery percentage has been very accurate with all my previous flights. 80% and a warm battery Didn’tcause alarm To me. It was very strange I was flying like any of my previous flights and then all of a sudden loss of connection between drone and controller. The only message was strong wireless interferance and then I had not control as it wasn’t connected to my controller. Weird no brake up in reception or any warning that it is having trouble with signal strength.
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 18:21
No the battery  was at 28 degrees at the end of the flight, the battery was actually warming up during flight. I monitor that closely. All I know is the battery percentage has been very accurate with all my previous flights. 80% and a warm battery Didn’tcause alarm To me. It was very strange I was flying like any of my previous flights and then all of a sudden loss of connection between drone and controller. The only message was strong wireless interferance and then I had not control as it wasn’t connected to my controller. Weird no brake up in reception or any warning that it is having trouble with signal strength.

I am not able to upload the complicated log display to phantom help. Air data has all the cell info and a great deal of info. Look at the air data record click the cvs file it has a very detailed list of info.
2019-1-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 18:24
I am not able to upload the complicated log display to phantom help. Air data has all the cell info and a great deal of info. Look at the air data record click the cvs file it has a very detailed list of info.

If it's too much for you, maybe you'd like to upload your log here.  I bet some kind soul will upload it to phantomhelp for you and paste the link.  
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-7 18:29
If it's too much for you, maybe you'd like to upload your log here.  I bet some kind soul will upload it to phantomhelp for you and paste the link.

If you click this link, then click general tab on the left, you can download the Csv file.
https://app.airdata.com/share/BKMntF
2019-1-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 18:21
No the battery  was at 28 degrees at the end of the flight, the battery was actually warming up during flight. I monitor that closely. All I know is the battery percentage has been very accurate with all my previous flights. 80% and a warm battery Didn’tcause alarm To me. It was very strange I was flying like any of my previous flights and then all of a sudden loss of connection between drone and controller. The only message was strong wireless interferance and then I had not control as it wasn’t connected to my controller. Weird no brake up in reception or any warning that it is having trouble with signal strength.

If you are talking about 28 Degrees Celcius, then that is a nicely warmed battery. If you mean 28 Degrees Fahrenheit, then that is a very cold battery.
2019-1-7
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Geebax Posted at 1-7 19:27
If you are talking about 28 Degrees Celcius, then that is a nicely warmed battery. If you mean 28 Degrees Fahrenheit, then that is a very cold battery.

Yes 28 Celsius
2019-1-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

OK. However since you are not inclined to upload your flight log to PhantomHelp there is no further information I can offer.

'Look at the air data record click the cvs file it has a very detailed list of info.'

We are just members here, we do not work for DJI. We are providing an analysis in the hope you may find an answer to the cause. The AirData file is hard to read and does not provide the best report. If you want help, then co-operate, don't make us work for it.

2019-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 16:09

I don't know how to make this any simpler for you.
The motors on your drone stopped getting power.
I can't tell why, there are a few possibilities.

That your drone had a malfunction makes no difference to all the others out there.
2019-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 18:46
If you click this link, then click general tab on the left, you can download the Csv file.
https://app.airdata.com/share/BKMntF

I did and spent 30 mins trying to find the important things that I'd need to see further into this.
I suggested you help out but so far nothing's happened.
2019-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MurrayL Posted at 1-7 18:24
I am not able to upload the complicated log display to phantom help
Rubbish
It takes a minute and is no harder than uploading to Airdata.
2019-1-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Looks like he downvoted everybody's post.  
2019-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-8 04:07
Looks like he downvoted everybody's post.  [view_image]

That's OK
I just down-voted him on my free assistance list.
The tosser doesn't want help.
2019-1-8
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Not true lambroids, there are a lot of helpful people on here, not provoking just helping. Don’t drag the helpfull individuals in with you.  I don’t have a computer to connect iPad to to obtain the files to upload to phantom Help. Don’t be a tosser.
2019-1-8
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-7 22:19
I am not able to upload the complicated log display to phantom help
Rubbish
It takes a minute and is no harder than uploading to Airdata.

Hi Labroids, go to his link for Airdata and download the original DJI flight log. If you wish you could then upload it to PhantomHelp. Not that complicated
2019-1-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Pleomax Posted at 1-8 05:20
Hi Labroids, go to his link for Airdata and download the original DJI flight log. If you wish you could then upload it to PhantomHelp. Not that complicated

I didn't know one could do that.  Thanks.

My Google Earth Pro software showed me something which wasn't clear earlier.  I think I know what happened.  It appears to me to be 100% pilot error.  

2019-1-8
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Please excuse my north american ignorance but "tosser"?  I had to Google that.  Now I consider myself more enlightened (more worldly)  
2019-1-8
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

No worries, I am not trying to insult anyone on here. I am responding to Labroids post 43. Some folks are getting frustrated that my flight data isn't uploaded to Phantom help. Pleomax had great advise post 45.
2019-1-8
Use props
MurrayL
lvl.3
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-8 07:32
I didn't know one could do that.  Thanks.

Great news Mark what happened?
2019-1-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules