Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What does the "RTH at current altitude" does?
7688 18 2019-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
twentythrill
lvl.1

Australia

I would like to know precisely what this function do please, thank you in advance!
BB863B6E-2D7F-4D85-9CFE-042DF53C1CE4.jpeg
2019-1-6
Use props
zappy54
First Officer
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

I twentythrill it means whatever altitude you are flying at is the altitude it will come back home at hope this helps.
2019-1-7
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

When you press the RTH button/disconnected it will fly back home points at the current altitude that the drone is staying
2019-1-7
Use props
skyhighmedia
First Officer
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Normally the drone will ascend to a set altitude if RTH is triggered. "RTH at current altitude" can be useful in situation where the drone is following an object downhill.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not quite - if the drone is within a 20m radius of the homepoint it will land if this is not enabled. If enabled it will return home at its current altitude if within the 20m radius. If further than 20m it will follow the normal RTH procedure and ascend to the preset RTH altitude.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is from the manual
2019-1-7
Use props
Vendex
First Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A CW Posted at 1-7 07:57
Not quite - if the drone is within a 20m radius of the homepoint it will land if this is not enabled. If enabled it will return home at its current altitude if within the 20m radius. If further than 20m it will follow the normal RTH procedure and ascend to the preset RTH altitude.

Absolutely correct ;)
2019-1-7
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

I return at current altitude if there are trees or other cliff things above that I don't want it climbing into if it decides to RTH.  It can be 300 yards out and I want it to come straight home or at least give me a moment to cancel the RTH.  Depends on where the obstacles you want to avoid are during RTH.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gunship9 Posted at 1-7 09:10
I return at current altitude if there are trees or other cliff things above that I don't want it climbing into if it decides to RTH.  It can be 300 yards out and I want it to come straight home or at least give me a moment to cancel the RTH.  Depends on where the obstacles you want to avoid are during RTH.

Enabling return at current altitude will not return at current altitude if the Mavic is more than 20m away when RTH is activated - it will return at the preset RTH altitude you set in the app. Enabling return at current altitude stops the drone from immediately landing if within 20m of you - for example this is not something that would be ideal if you took off from a beach and flew over the sea...
2019-1-7
Use props
twentythrill
lvl.1

Australia

Correct! You are the first one to be right in this post, as you can see from the comments behind your, there`s a lot of confusion about this function.
2019-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

twentythrill Posted at 1-7 14:05
Correct! You are the first one to be right in this post, as you can see from the comments behind your, there`s a lot of confusion about this function.

It is understandable why many would be confused - the line in the app should state "RTH at current altitude if within 5m-20m of the home point" - that would make it much clearer. It's not major but if pilots do not understand it then their Mavic 2 Pro could end up auto landing 20m away into a river or the sea because of say a low battery RTH and their being confused about this function and switching it off.
2019-1-7
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 306499 ft
Cambodia

A CW Posted at 1-7 08:00
This is from the manual
[view_image]

Which manual is this from?
For Mavic Air, manual version 1.2 (2018.05) the description is different for 5-20m distance:
"2.b. If the aircraft is between 5m and 20m from the HP, it flies to the HP at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5m and then flies to the HP."

For the Mavic Air, the option "RTH at current altitude" is not described.
Then there is this:
"Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the RC signal is lost for a specified amount of time (3 seconds when using the RC, and 20 sec when flying with a mobile device). "

3 seconds is very short to try to re-connect by changing position, readjusting the antennaes, restarting the RC or the app...

Like this post if you wish that 3 second window could be extended!
2019-1-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eclair29 Posted at 1-10 20:34
Which manual is this from?
For Mavic Air, manual version 1.2 (2018.05) the description is different for 5-20m distance:
"2.b. If the aircraft is between 5m and 20m from the HP, it flies to the HP at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5m and then flies to the HP."

Mavic 2 Pro
2019-1-11
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 306499 ft
Vietnam

For a MAVIC AIR, can anybody confirm / challenge the following behaviors after a connection lost?

Especially the case #17 when the drone is in the 5-20m zone and the "RTH at current altitude" option is off.
I believe this is what landed my drone in the water when it decided to land immediately after a lost connection.

I will do these tests after DJI replaces my drone...

PS: below HP (neg.) means the drone is at a negative altitude compared to the Home Point. Like when it is going downhill.
2019-1-12
Use props
HH1
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Thank you for that bit of knowledge, sure helps.
2019-1-12
Use props
HH1
Captain
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 08:00
This is from the manual
[view_image]

Thanks for putting that up, does help.
2019-1-12
Use props
HH1
Captain
United States

A CW Posted at 1-7 14:12
It is understandable why many would be confused - the line in the app should state "RTH at current altitude if within 5m-20m of the home point" - that would make it much clearer. It's not major but if pilots do not understand it then their Mavic 2 Pro could end up auto landing 20m away into a river or the sea because of say a low battery RTH and their being confused about this function and switching it off.

Good that is pointed, and yes, it is easy for some of us to get confused
2019-1-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HH1 Posted at 1-12 21:58
Thank you for that bit of knowledge, sure helps.

You're welcome
2019-1-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HH1 Posted at 1-12 22:04
Good that is pointed, and yes, it is easy for some of us to get confused

Hopefully they'll add something to help clarify it in a FW update. At least you now know anyway.
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules