4940 73 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am very disappointed in the new firmware which came out today.
I dont know how many people complaint about the focus pumping issue in afc, then i expect that this will be on their top prioritylist to solve this. But i guess i am wrong. And maybe they simply cannot fix this and i have to keep shooting in afs and keep pressing the screen.
I know for example with the mavic cameras while recording afc doesnot focus, so why can they not get this for the op?
2019-1-7
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Ah man, that’s a real pain. I’ve not had time to test it yet. Although the update seems to have fixed the issue on my LG phone of not connecting.
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello dji moderators , did you forget to pass this issue to your developpers? As promised? The afc footage is really unusable . Problem is that you should definately not forget to press the display of the pocket in afs so the pocket will focus, you cannot see on the op display if its in focus. You find out afterwards when watching your footage on your pc or device that if you havnt press the display , your footage is blur.
2019-1-7
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

still the same with new firmware...don't want to use my op because of the poor focusing issues
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi dronie1965, surely we have forwarded the Focus issue to our engineers and this is our top priority to optimize. Sorry to know the issue persists, may chance to provide us a short video with this new firmware for further support? Thank you very much.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

theprisoner6666 Posted at 1-7 05:58
Ah man, that’s a real pain. I’ve not had time to test it yet. Although the update seems to have fixed the issue on my LG phone of not connecting.

Thanks for your feedback, please make more tests at your most convenience and let us know if there is any further issue, thank you.
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

CubbyJonson Posted at 1-7 06:10
still the same with new firmware...don't want to use my op because of the poor focusing issues

Hi Cubby, I’m so sorry to hear that, we care much about your feedback, any chance to share us a short video with this firmware so we can check? Thank you.
2019-1-7
Use props
Rogue0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30322 ft
United Kingdom

I took my OP out with me yesterday. Nice sunny day, so a good chance to get some nice footage of my dogs in the woods. Got hom, put the footage on my Macbook, and it's unusable as it's mostly out of focus. Just updated the new firmware and it's still exactly the same, and the focus pumping is STILL there!
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-7 06:29
Hi dronie1965, surely we have forwarded the Focus issue to our engineers and this is our top priority to optimize. Sorry to know the issue persists, may chance to provide us a short video with this new firmware for further support? Thank you very much.

https://youtu.be/neiCNMw1ShA
2019-1-7
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

dronie1965 Posted at 1-7 06:39
https://youtu.be/neiCNMw1ShA

but that's your old stuff from December
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

UweE Posted at 1-7 07:19
but that's your old stuff from December

Yes thats is true , as dji asked an example and nothing has changed , and they didnot even checked the old stuff.therefore i am wondering if they ever even look at it. So it makes no sence if i shoot new video , put it on youtube and then copy it to the forum, as the results are exactly the same as before.
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

And i see many other users in other posts are mentionning that the auto focus is still not solved. By the way , its always the same standard question dji is asking and it sometimes looks like the moderators are working along eachother. Anyway it makes no sence to give them another new footage as the results ( pumping) is exactly the same
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dronie1965 Posted at 1-7 07:31
And i see many other users in other posts are mentionning that the auto focus is still not solved. By the way , its always the same standard question dji is asking and it sometimes looks like the moderators are working along eachother. Anyway it makes no sence to give them another new footage as the results ( pumping) is exactly the same

First have you calibrated your OP as is required with new FW, secondly I have tested for so called focus pumping, in good light I have encountered No so called Focus pumping in low light very little but if I’m honest almost none, when changing from good light to low light there is a small amount of so called focus pumping, but it is small and having tested with orignal Osmo also and it’s pretty similar, I believe this is just the camera trying to focus in low light or extreme sudden changes in light, I believe listening and reading here that people are under the impression that it’s constant pumping , and after much testing I can certainly say for me this is not a real issue and is very easy to cut out the tiny amount of footage it occurs in.
Looking back at some lowlight footage from over Christmas while for it was infrequent and comparing to lowlight footage today and sudden changes in light , it has improved.

I won’t or have never intended to use OP professionally, the footage is exceptional IMO in auto focus for me it works well, in manual mode under good lighting settings set in app and used without phone the footage is much better than anything I have seen in this price range.

This is only my opinion from what I’ve tested, I would prefer to set manually without need to use phone , but for now it’s not a real problem but would be nice if it was possible in the near future.
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I will try again in sunny lights, as it is pretty dark weather here , but i cannot imagine it is only doing it in low light. But i will try again and let you know. I have calibrated the op
2019-1-7
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 09:11
First have you calibrated your OP as is required with new FW, secondly I have tested for so called focus pumping, in good light I have encountered No so called Focus pumping in low light very little but if I’m honest almost none, when changing from good light to low light there is a small amount of so called focus pumping, but it is small and having tested with orignal Osmo also and it’s pretty similar, I believe this is just the camera trying to focus in low light or extreme sudden changes in light, I believe listening and reading here that people are under the impression that it’s constant pumping , and after much testing I can certainly say for me this is not a real issue and is very easy to cut out the tiny amount of footage it occurs in.
Looking back at some lowlight footage from over Christmas while for it was infrequent and comparing to lowlight footage today and sudden changes in light , it has improved.

+1, Also people must understand that the focus system, is contrast based, so it will not be possible to get this to focus perfectly, especially not in low light.
2019-1-7
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 09:11

Just being curious, you put focus in afc ? As in afs focus is ok after tapping the screen .

For as in afc , i forgot to mention , especially when panning the so called pumping occurs , in the beginning and at the end of the shoot. At least dji should apply a focus automatic stop while recording, like they have with the mavics
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cougar1 Posted at 1-7 09:27
+1, Also people must understand that the focus system, is contrast based, so it will not be possible to get this to focus perfectly, especially not in low light.

I think it could be an advantage to preset manual settings if you don’t intend to use with phone in low light, most times you are using in low light the light is pretty consistent so set it manually, if changing to good light ie using outdoors you can use auto with very little problems.

I have recently purchased an XT3 which has exceptional video, but there are always little problems to overcome, I had same with my old GH5 which was the benchmark for DSLR video recording, you sometimes have to learn the best ways to work around small problems, or they just become bigger problems.
2019-1-7
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 09:41
I think it could be an advantage to preset manual settings if you don’t intend to use with phone in low light, most times you are using in low light the light is pretty consistent so set it manually, if changing to good light ie using outdoors you can use auto with very little problems.

I have recently purchased an XT3 which has exceptional video, but there are always little problems to overcome, I had same with my old GH5 which was the benchmark for DSLR video recording, you sometimes have to learn the best ways to work around small problems, or they just become bigger problems.

On my model, and I'm sure a lot of others, focus pumping was happening in all kinds of light and in all settings. You seem to be one of the lucky ones which makes me think it might be specific to device. Would be interesting to see some of your uncut footage of panning etc to see what it looks like. Otherwise, I've returned mine and got another one coming tomorrow in the hopes that it's better.
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronie1965 Posted at 1-7 09:33
Just being curious, you put focus in afc ? As in afs focus is ok after tapping the screen .

For as in afc , i forgot to mention , especially when panning the so called pumping occurs , in the beginning and at the end of the shoot. At least dji should apply a focus automatic stop while recording, like they have with the mavics

Yes that’s how it can occur so I would say give it a second at the beginning and the end of video and you won’t have much problem, as cougar said it’s contrast based focus a little different than other cameras may take a bit of getting used to. I used in AFC mode, and in AFS use tap to focus but unlike what people think you don’t need to continually tap the screen to focus.

I spent two years with a GH5 which continually focus jumped it cost ten times what I paid for OP yes it does many things a lot better, but is not without its problems and work around is needed.

I hope dji continues to improve focus issues and it’s important to let them know what your issues are, and I believe all feedback is both helpful to both users and engineers a like.

I hope you see an improvement . Good Luck.
2019-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

spicemeister Posted at 1-7 09:52
On my model, and I'm sure a lot of others, focus pumping was happening in all kinds of light and in all settings. You seem to be one of the lucky ones which makes me think it might be specific to device. Would be interesting to see some of your uncut footage of panning etc to see what it looks like. Otherwise, I've returned mine and got another one coming tomorrow in the hopes that it's better.

I will try to put up some footage, I’m away from my laptop until weekend can’t upload video to you tube from this tablet .
You obviously didn’t try your old one with new FW which has optimized Focus.
2019-1-7
Use props
Ken77
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-7 09:41

I too had the GH5 and even with its notorious focus issues, I learned to work around it and still produce great video. I also tried the XT3, but returned it not for focus issues, but rather for exposure stepping (very visible step changes in exposure, rather than a smooth ramping). This issue, as I learned from the Fuji techs, is endemic to Fuji cameras. I even tried locking down the iris and I still got the stepping.

FWIW, the latest firmware on the OP has resulted in a nice improvement in the AF for me.
2019-1-7
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Most of these issues could be solved if they just incorporated infinity focus and a way to calibrate it. This would eliminate any discrepancies from one device to another. Besides, with a lens and sensor as small as the OP, it's not like we're getting wonderful deep bokeh anyway, so why not just keep it on infinity then use 'tap to focus' for much closer subjects? The original Osmo does this. I just leave my Osmo+ on infinity (which has been calibrated to a distant object), then tap the screen if something is much closer to me and it stays at that focus distance until I put it back to infinity again. Really simple. I'm not sue why DJI hasn't done this obvious method for the OP.
2019-1-7
Use props
theprisoner6666
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I tested it this morning too and there’s no focus pumping for me either. It shifts focus nice and smoothly. I think people are maybe expecting too much from this device. It’s bound to pump a little when adjusting focus distance by a large amount. It used to pump all the time though, but that doesn’t happen for me anymore. Still, I’d much prefer ♾  focus anyway.
2019-1-7
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

manual focusing, please.
manual focusing with the dial on the USD$59 Controller Wheel, please.
2019-1-7
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

dronie1965 Posted at 1-7 07:26
Yes thats is true , as dji asked an example and nothing has changed , and they didnot even checked the old stuff.therefore i am wondering if they ever even look at it. So it makes no sence if i shoot new video , put it on youtube and then copy it to the forum, as the results are exactly the same as before.

Why not put the new footage by the new FW(1/7)? Face and tracking AF has represented a improvement.  
2019-1-7
Use props
zu1
lvl.3

Japan

Yes thats is true , as dji asked an example and nothing has changed , and they didnot even checked the old stuff.therefore i am wondering if they ever even look at it. So it makes no sence if i shoot new video , put it on youtube and then copy it to the forum, as the results are exactly the same as before.

Why not put the new footage by the new FW(1/7)? Face and tracking AF has represented a improvement.  
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Of course we have checked the old video, the optimization of focus is always our priority, but it seems the issue persists, the new video is required because we would like to verify if it happens on tracking the face or the general objects. Thanks for your assistance.
2019-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

edwardyyy Posted at 1-7 20:20
manual focusing, please.
manual focusing with the dial on the USD$59 Controller Wheel, please.

Hi edwardyyy, AFS is estimated to be added to the basic settings in the next version, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

spicemeister Posted at 1-7 09:52
On my model, and I'm sure a lot of others, focus pumping was happening in all kinds of light and in all settings. You seem to be one of the lucky ones which makes me think it might be specific to device. Would be interesting to see some of your uncut footage of panning etc to see what it looks like. Otherwise, I've returned mine and got another one coming tomorrow in the hopes that it's better.

Hi spicemeister, sorry to know the issue persist, may we have a short video of the focus pumping after updating to this firmware? We would like to verify if it happens to face tracking or the general objects. Thanks for your assistance.
2019-1-8
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-8 18:09
Of course we have checked the old video, the optimization of focus is always our priority, but it seems the issue persists, the new video is required because we would like to verify if it happens on tracking the face or the general objects. Thanks for your assistance.
Hello mindy, i am aware you have to defend the product but i guess if we alert you that the focus issue still exist in afc after fw update i am sure this should trigger the developpers to test this again , i am sure they are capable to see it for themselves without examples of customers. I guess These developpers also own osmo pockets or have plenty available to test this and should the information given from your customers that the problem still is there , should be enough. And in your text answer i noticed that you are aware of the problem exists after the new fw update
2019-1-8
Use props
unco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7621 ft
Australia

dronie1965 Posted at 1-8 19:53
Hello mindy, i am aware you have to defend the product but i guess if we alert you that the focus issue still exist in afc after fw update i am sure this should trigger the developpers to test this again , i am sure they are capable to see it for themselves without examples of customers. I guess These developpers also own osmo pockets or have plenty available to test this and should the information given from your customers that the problem still is there , should be enough. And in your text answer i noticed that you are aware of the problem exists after the new fw update

To be fair, with any kind of testing, it's not always possible to recreate the issue due to a number of different factors.  I know that it could be an easy one to see based on people reporting it here, but what about the people who own the OP and don't have the issue and wouldn't have posted here about it.

It might be only affecting a small percentage of overall units sold, who knows?  

The more we can supply proof of it still happening with the newest firmware, the more chance they have of narrowing in on and squishing this bug.
2019-1-8
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I throw the towel in the ring and see what happens, but i cannot image that only a few pockets encountering the problem in afc. I find it hard to believe but if there are people who are not noticing this or can live with this , thats fine for them.for me however even a slight pumping of focus is annoying ( if its in the beginning and/or at the end of a pan)But anyway there are people who are encountering the problem that is a fact and  i hope for them dji will solve it. For me i will shoot in afs for now as i still find the colors etc are very good.
2019-1-8
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

Update info says Optimized the focus in some situations. Perhaps they can't fix the pumping. My return window ends Saturday. Really on the fence. More cons then pros for me.
2019-1-8
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

ok i have done some more testing after the new firmware update and have enclosed an example of the pumping issue in afc mode.
it happens especially before and end of a pan. I also did a test when walking while shooting video and I must admit there you practically can not notice a lot of this pumping focus during moving with the op.
But maybe you could check your own Osmo Pocket while standing still and slide the pan slider to left or right and when stopping you probably or might see the pumping focus. maybe for some it is not an issue but I find it important that you should be able to shoot video without this issue, I think if you make a panning clip , for the time being its  better to shoot this part in afs.
maybe dji moderators can send this example to the developers so they can maybe fine tune this.
example:
2019-1-9
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-8 18:35
Hi spicemeister, sorry to know the issue persist, may we have a short video of the focus pumping after updating to this firmware? We would like to verify if it happens to face tracking or the general objects. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi DJI Mindy,

I've been out testing with the new firmware and I have put the results below along with my opinion on the footage. For the record, I think the firmware has improved it a lot, however as shown in the video, pumping is still present on most shots.

I still think it could be better as there's still some pumping there, but the update definitely improved it from my last vid.

2019-1-9
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cgbrian.com Posted at 1-8 22:28
What was the result of your second OP? I went through 3 myself.

Check out the vid/reply above - #38

It's worth noting that my 1st OP had the previous firmware, and as soon as I got my current one, I updated to the new firmware. I personally think there is a lot less pumping and it's a lot less noticeable, but it's still there.

Also not a scientific test as I got new hardware as well as updated the firmware.
2019-1-9
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

DJI only need to give us option to set AFS in basic mode and i will be happy
2019-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

spicemeister Posted at 1-9 09:29
Hi DJI Mindy,

I've been out testing with the new firmware and I have put the results below along with my opinion on the footage. For the record, I think the firmware has improved it a lot, however as shown in the video, pumping is still present on most shots.

I think if you want to see contrast focus pumping , buy a GH5 one of the most used DSLR for video and some awful focus pumping and that camera will set you back €2500, I fully agree there has been an improvement with latest FW.
2019-1-9
Use props
Ken77
lvl.2
United States

dronie1965 Posted at 1-9 03:11
ok i have done some more testing after the new firmware update and have enclosed an example of the pumping issue in afc mode.
it happens especially before and end of a pan. I also did a test when walking while shooting video and I must admit there you practically can not notice a lot of this pumping focus during moving with the op.
But maybe you could check your own Osmo Pocket while standing still and slide the pan slider to left or right and when stopping you probably or might see the pumping focus. maybe for some it is not an issue but I find it important that you should be able to shoot video without this issue, I think if you make a panning clip , for the time being its  better to shoot this part in afs.

I’d agree with this. Although it seems that focus has improved, there is still evidence of focus breathing (pumping) at the beginning and end of pans. In my case, until there is a fix, i shoot with this awareness. So what does that mean? It simply means I may add a couple of extra seconds to the beginning of a pan and edit out the very end of a pan if pumping is evident. Not ideal, but I’m so used to doing workarounds for almost every camera I’ve owned (some costing many multiples of the OP), this is nothing new.

In my case I find it more annoying that EV settings, when in Auto Pro mode, are not retained when the camera is turned off and then back on again. This necessitates me reconnecting the OP to my phone every time I power it back on.
2019-1-9
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ken77 Posted at 1-9 12:19
I’d agree with this. Although it seems that focus has improved, there is still evidence of focus breathing (pumping) at the beginning and end of pans. In my case, until there is a fix, i shoot with this awareness. So what does that mean? It simply means I may add a couple of extra seconds to the beginning of a pan and edit out the very end of a pan if pumping is evident. Not ideal, but I’m so used to doing workarounds for almost every camera I’ve owned (some costing many multiples of the OP), this is nothing new.

In my case I find it more annoying that EV settings, when in Auto Pro mode, are not retained when the camera is turned off and then back on again. This necessitates me reconnecting the OP to my phone every time I power it back on.

Yes this ev setting not retaining is by the way also a good point which dji developpers have to look into.
2019-1-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules