Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone in Turkey in 2019
12Next >
36649 73 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M1key
lvl.3
Flight distance : 395440 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, I have googled and read everything there was to be found on bringing a drone to Turkey, but most information is from 2017. Does anyone have up to date information? I am not a Turkish citizen, and I am concerned with having my drone confiscated upon arrival. Thanks!
2019-1-7
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Check here https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-turkey/
It doesn’t look good though says they can confiscate your drone until your departure and it will be kept at a fee!

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching out. I suggest you call your Airline for rules and regulation. You can also refer to this link: https://forum.dji.com/thread-147367-1-1.html for more information. I hope this will help. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-1-7
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Alex B. Posted at 1-7 13:42
Check here https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-turkey/
It doesn’t look good though  says they can confiscate your drone until your departure and it will be kept at a fee!

Mind you, the site is from March 2018. Turkey was in a state of emergency then. It no longer is.
2019-1-7
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-7 13:47
Hi, thanks for reaching out. I suggest you call your Airline for rules and regulation. You can also refer to this link: https://forum.dji.com/thread-147367-1-1.html for more information. I hope this will help. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

That's a very good link actually, thank you!
2019-1-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

M1key Posted at 1-7 13:51
That's a very good link actually, thank you!

You're most welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach us back for further help. Have a safe flight
2019-1-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I did fly in twice, second half of last year, to Istanbul. Both time with a spark in handluggage. No reaction on it, neither when I had to X-ray my luggage at one of the arrivals at the Atatuerk Airport, nor when it got X-rayed on every entry to the airport. Have not been with drone to the new airport or to one of the other internationals in Tuerkey.
But assume that the size is protecting the bird anyway!
Just I did not fly it, since registration seemed to be a impossible task for people without a adress in Turkey.
2019-1-7
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 1-7 15:36
I did fly in twice, second half of last year, to Istanbul. Both time with a spark in handluggage. No reaction on it, neither when I had to X-ray my luggage at one of the arrivals at the Atatuerk Airport, nor when it got X-rayed on every entry to the airport. Have not been with drone to the new airport or to one of the other internationals in Tuerkey.
But assume that the size is protecting the bird anyway!
Just I did not fly it, since registration seemed to be a impossible task for people without a adress in Tuerkey.

That's very useful,thank you! Where from and who did you fly with, if I may ask?
2019-1-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Both times with Turkish Airline.
Once coming from Thailand, the other time coming from Europe.
One was a stopover, the other a long transit but both times  leaving the Airport
They did x-ray  randomly people leaving the arrival area, include handluggage, and did x-ray and scan ALL stuff, when entering the airport.
But: The old Atatuerk Airport!
I may check on the new one some time later this year ;-)
2019-1-8
Use props
fans15aef410
lvl.3
Flight distance : 157195 ft
Turkey

Hello there. I live in istanbul turkey. There are serious problems with drone flying. I also have a DJI SPARK but I need to get permission to fly in crowded areas. I don't think you will have any problems at the airport entrance, but you should still have your device's bill with you. I can answer if there's anything you want to ask. Sorry for the bad english, I'm writing with Google translation. Happy Days...
2019-1-8
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 1-8 05:09
One was a stopover, the other a long transit but both times  leaving the Airport

Ah, I see. I'll be flying to the new airport. Well, I guess we shall see! Thanks a lot.
2019-1-8
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans15aef410 Posted at 1-8 05:51
Hello there. I live in istanbul turkey. There are serious problems with drone flying. I also have a DJI SPARK but I need to get permission to fly in crowded areas. I don't think you will have any problems at the airport entrance, but you should still have your device's bill with you. I can answer if there's anything you want to ask. Sorry for the bad english, I'm writing with Google translation. Happy Days...

Thanks for your answer. What is "device's bill" exactly? Is it easier to fly outside of Istanbul? For example the Buyukada island.
2019-1-8
Use props
hknyenign
lvl.3
Turkey

M1key Posted at 1-8 06:19
Thanks for your answer. What is "device's bill" exactly? Is it easier to fly outside of Istanbul? For example the Buyukada island.

That is, a document showing the amount you paid and paid. that is, to show that the device belongs to you and is not stolen. Büyükada is within the prohibited regions. but you are advantageous because you use spark because once you ventilate it, no one will see it in the air unless you notice it. my almost all my flights this way
The level of security is now at high levels due to terrorist incidents. This week a bomb attack drone news was released, especially 2019 will bring stricter rules for drone pilots in Turkey

2019-1-8
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hknyenign Posted at 1-8 06:30
That is, a document showing the amount you paid and paid. that is, to show that the device belongs to you and is not stolen. Büyükada is within the prohibited regions. but you are advantageous because you use spark because once you ventilate it, no one will see it in the air unless you notice it. my almost all my flights this way

Ah, thanks. Which areas am I allowed to fly in, since the island is off-limits?
2019-1-8
Use props
hknyenign
lvl.3
Turkey

M1key Posted at 1-8 06:33
Ah, thanks. Which areas am I allowed to fly in, since the island is off-limits?

The most beautiful is to enjoy the calm places away from the crowds, the people here also feel tense due to bad events and when they see a drone they can notify the police as if they had seen a gun. If you want to fly exactly where you want to search for the topic and try to get information
2019-1-8
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hknyenign Posted at 1-8 06:38
The most beautiful is to enjoy the calm places away from the crowds, the people here also feel tense due to bad events and when they see a drone they can notify the police as if they had seen a gun. If you want to fly exactly where you want to search for the topic and try to get information

Thanks for your help.
2019-1-8
Use props
hknyenign
lvl.3
Turkey

M1key Posted at 1-8 06:43
Thanks for your help.

Thank you, I can help you anytime, take care of yourself
2019-1-8
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 1-8 05:09

I emailed Turkish Airlines. They came back saying no drones are allowed onboard...
2019-1-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

M1key Posted at 1-9 02:20
I emailed Turkish Airlines. They came back saying no drones are allowed onboard...

That is nowhere to be found on their website!
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/any-questions/restrictions/
And how will they find out, anyway!
Perhaps they understood flying it onboard?;-)
And even if they pushing, it is not like Dubai, where almost every plane is a Emirates plane.
Aside, Emirates is the only major airline I know off, with a "no drone in carry on" policy.
And even THEY are not be able, to stop people from taking (and flying ;-) drones in the first class!
(a classic!)
2019-1-9
Use props
tronik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72018 ft
Turkey

Dear M1key,
I am Tamer from Turkey . Actually there is no restriction about that. I only warn you about that your drone battary must empty and seperate with each other. You must take invoice of your drone . But ıf you take more drone on your bag, you must go customs for registering . If you have any questions you can contact me
Tamer

www.tronik.com.tr
www.dronesepeti.com.tr
www.gezgindrone.com
2019-1-29
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

tronik Posted at 1-29 02:35
Dear M1key,
I am Tamer from Turkey . Actually there is no restriction about that. I only warn you about that your drone battary must empty and seperate with each other. You must take invoice of your drone . But ıf you take more drone on your bag, you must go customs for registering . If you have any questions you can contact me
Tamer

Hi, thanks for your response. Are you saying the batteries should not be charged during the flight to Turkey?
2019-1-30
Use props
tronik
lvl.1
Turkey

M1key Posted at 1-30 03:06
Hi, thanks for your response. Are you saying the batteries should not be charged during the flight to Turkey?

Dear M1key,
no  of course i mean you can carry the Drone on board only when the battery is empty. after coming turkey, of course you can charged you battery again
you can send me e-mail for this ı can help
have a good trip
Tamer
info@tronik.com.tr
www.dronesepeti.com.tr
2019-1-30
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

tronik Posted at 1-30 06:17
Dear M1key,
no  of course i mean you can carry the Drone on board only when the battery is empty. after coming turkey, of course you can charged you battery again
you can send me e-mail for this ı can help

Thank you for being so helpful. Would you be able to recommend any areas near Istanbul where I can fly my drone safely and without causing any problems?
2019-1-31
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-7 13:47

Just in case someone else is looking for information and finds this thread:

• Turkish Airlines told me it was not allowed to take a drone onboard.
  • However, their website did not list drones as forbidden items.
  • UK security did not even look at my drone.
  • I landed on the new ISL airport in Istanbul. All luggage gets checked on its way out.
  • They presumably saw the drone on the X-ray thing, asked me to open the bag (the only bag they picked), but got distracted or failed to find it, so the drone made it through.
  • I did not fly in Istanbul, there was military personnel all over the place.
  • I flew in a town at the Black Sea, no issues, but then no one saw me.
  • I flew back from the older Ataturk airport. All of your luggage goes through an X-ray check before check in.
  • This time, I positioned my drone vertically in the suitcase, so it had a less obvious shape.
  • I put all sorts of electronic items in another bag. That's the bag they asked me to open. The officer kept saying power bank, power bank. I showed him some chargers, he let me go. I checked my drone in in the suitcase, and the problem was solved.
  • There were two more security checks to go still (so 3 in total at that airport), the last one being for randomly selected people - I was not selected.
  • For that check, I pulled out all electronic devices before the scan, and they did not ask any questions.
  • Take off with no issues. Ping me if you have any questions.

2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

M1key Posted at 2-11 06:19
Just in case someone else is looking for information and finds this thread:

Hi, thank you for sharing this information with us. This will help a lot Pilots when they travel in Turkey. Thanks for choosing DJI and happy flying.
2019-2-12
Use props
djiuser_wpV5UybCZRab
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm anxious too, just got my drone, planning to go there late Summer.. would live to take my spark with me to IST
2019-3-1
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

djiuser_wpV5UybCZRab Posted at 3-1 15:53
I'm anxious too, just got my drone, planning to go there late Summer.. would live to take my spark with me to IST

Are you flying to and from the same airport?
2019-3-5
Use props
zed475
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M1key Posted at 3-5 13:06
Are you flying to and from the same airport?

yes, Ataturk IST
2019-3-5
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I guess worst case scenario they will return it to you upon departure. Unless you're worried about the drone flights themselves?
2019-3-5
Use props
mertsendag
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88770 ft
United States

I am Turkish and I fly for business purposes every week, I carried my drone in and out of Turkey many times and nothing happened. They confiscated it Azerbaijan though. They give it back when leaving.
2019-3-5
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

mertsendag Posted at 3-5 22:45
I am Turkish and I fly for business purposes every week, I carried my drone in and out of Turkey many times and nothing happened. They confiscated it Azerbaijan though. They give it back when leaving.

Really! They found and confiscated your Spark in Azerbaijan?
2019-3-6
Use props
zed475
lvl.1
United Kingdom

M1key Posted at 3-5 13:35
I guess worst case scenario they will return it to you upon departure. Unless you're worried about the drone flights themselves?

yeah, might risk it though..
2019-3-9
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
Germany

This is extremely helpful thank you!
2019-3-11
Use props
tronik
lvl.1
Turkey

Dear Foreign Nationality Citizens,

There is a national drone regulations in Turkey as in the whole world. Please read the following text carefully related drone transport . You can ask me about the following contact information.

"if you bring your drones or UAVs MTOW 500 gr. or above in Turkey, customs may seize your  drones and demand technical conformity letter, that can be taken from DGCA Turkey, from you. To receive technical confirmation letter for your UAVs, you shall apply officially to Turkish DGCA with application form Form-01 (only Turkish version avaliable) can be found in Forms session on mainpage. One of the requirements shall be supply of application is criminal records with archive records. However, there are two way, one of them is you shall have TR Identificaiton number or you have to submit your criminal record that received from your embassy. If you are verified from MERNİS (TR identification number from population database), criminal record is not required.

if you bring your drones or UAVs MTOW below 500 gr. , this drones is out of the scope of our national regulation and is not required any technical conformity or out of the scope letter normally. Nevertheless, some customs may seize and demand from you out of the scope letter, in this case you shall apply to take out of the scope letter officially with a petition to DGCA Turkey.

After that, During registration process, Our UAV E-registration system software verify your name, surname, birth date and TR identification number from MERNİS under cover of Ministry of Interior. Due to this verification method, if you have not TR Identification number , your information will not be verified in MERNİS. For this reason, foreign nationality citizens will not be able to complete their registration process and fly legally."

https://www.facebook.com/troniktr
https://www.instagram.com/troniktr/
www.tronik.com.tr
info@tronik.com.tr

Tamer
2019-3-20
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

tronik Posted at 3-20 09:41
Dear Foreign Nationality Citizens,

There is a national drone regulations in Turkey as in the whole world. Please read the following text carefully related drone transport . You can ask me about the following contact information.

Obviously many of us asking questions are not turkish citizens.
2019-4-10
Use props
sophiegoodfellow96
New
United Kingdom

Hi there! I am going to Turkey in September/October, this is the beginning of my travelling around the world. I've read the rules on the official Turkish website, I'm scared it might get confiscated if i do not fill in the technical confirmation letter, but as it is only in Turkish I was wondering if anyone has filled one in before or speaks Turkish and can help me out!
I've read all of this forum and it seems that I could risk going and not getting it taken off me, which is fine, but at the same time I would rather it not. I'm fine with not flying it, I would just rather keep it on me.

Anyones help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!
2019-4-11
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

sophiegoodfellow96@gmail.com Posted at 4-11 02:49
Hi there! I am going to Turkey in September/October, this is the beginning of my travelling around the world. I've read the rules on the official Turkish website, I'm scared it might get confiscated if i do not fill in the technical confirmation letter, but as it is only in Turkish I was wondering if anyone has filled one in before or speaks Turkish and can help me out!
I've read all of this forum and it seems that I could risk going and not getting it taken off me, which is fine, but at the same time I would rather it not. I'm fine with not flying it, I would just rather keep it on me.

Hi Sophie, my understanding is that the official permission would be given to Turkish citizens only anyway, so that's not an option for you. Unfortunately, the rules are unclear, so you may just have to chance it... Best of luck!
2019-4-12
Use props
Hattie May Perkins
lvl.1

Romania

Hello

I am going to Istanbul tomorrow and Cappadocia next week. Both flights with Turkish airlines. My boyfriend flies a Mavic Pro 2 and we are unsure whether we can take her with us.
I just called Turkish airlines and they have said drones ARE allowed.
Hopefully this makes sense to someone..
The batteries mustn’t have less than 2 or more than 8 lithium per battery. He also said something about it being between 100-160 kilowatts..
It’s allowed in hand luggage or checked with batteries out.

Has anyone travelled to the new airport yet with their drone?

Thanks!!
2019-4-24
Use props
Hattie May Perkins
lvl.1

Romania

M1key Posted at 4-12 04:59
Hi Sophie, my understanding is that the official permission would be given to Turkish citizens only anyway, so that's not an option for you. Unfortunately, the rules are unclear, so you may just have to chance it... Best of luck!

Hey Mike.
Did you take your drone to Turkey in the end?
Thanks!
2019-4-24
Use props
M1key
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hattie May Perkins Posted at 4-24 02:53
Hey Mike.
Did you take your drone to Turkey in the end?
Thanks!

Hi, yes, I took my Spark to Turkey via the new airport.  See above for my experience. My suggestion is to take it, and if possible check it in on your way back to reduce the number of checks you go through.
2019-4-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules