Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing your Spark - Emergency Shutdown
3255 36 2019-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

A quick video on Landing the DJI Spark and Emergency landing and Shutdown.. Useful for new Spark users...   Enjoy..

2019-1-7
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Dumb advice.  Just land on the ground like normal or hand land via gesture control. I lost skin using using your method.
2019-1-7
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-7 23:41
Dumb advice.  Just land on the ground like normal or hand land via gesture control. I lost skin using using your method.

.....and if you are on a sandy beach. long grass  or unstable rocks.. Will you attempt to land it on that?...  A friend of mine landed his Mavic AIR on a rocky surface and came close to losing a prop.    If you feel that you cannot grab the drone then land it on the ground.     
2019-1-7
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 1-7 23:43
.....and if you are on a sandy beach. long grass  or unstable rocks.. Will you attempt to land it on that?...  A friend of mine landed his Mavic AIR on a rocky surface and came close to losing a prop.    If you feel that you cannot grab the drone then land it on the ground.

Use a landing pad. Take off on clear ground & land on the same, like a normal pilot. Avoid sand. long grass or rocks. The same as REAL aircraft.  No difference.  The rules apply, regardless of a drone or a real choppers (& planes) - common sense?
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-8 01:05
Use a landing pad. Take off on clear ground & land on the same, like a normal pilot. Avoid sand. long grass or rocks. The same as REAL aircraft.  No difference.  The rules apply, regardless of a drone or a real choppers (& planes) - common sense?

I have no need of a landing Pad...      I have no need to find clear ground...     I can launch from anywhere with my hand and land in my hand.    As long as I adhere to the CASA regulations there are no Rules that apply to how I land my drone.   As I mentioned earlier if you don't feel comfortable in landing in your hand, there's no pressure to do so.    Many don't .. Many do.   Choice is left to everyone.
2019-1-8
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great video and nice tutorial! Really useful!
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

maddox Posted at 1-8 04:18
Great video and nice tutorial! Really useful!

Thanks...     
2019-1-8
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Egypt

So many video like this one on Youtube. Ok, let’s be another one.
2019-1-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-7 23:41
Dumb advice.  Just land on the ground like normal or hand land via gesture control. I lost skin using using your method.

You are entiteld to your opinion.
But perhaps you didn't do it right and are angry about?
I have done a couple of hundred landings in this handgrab style, but not once lost skin b/c of that
2019-1-8
Use props
epoweredrc
United States

its really funny to me that the Spark has the feature to hand launch itself and to hand land it self I say this only because I have flown RC for 29 years now and have been a member of the AMA the whole time and their bylaws are your never suppose to touch a aircraft that is flying.
Fort those who don't know what AMA stand for its the academy of model aviation
2019-1-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

epoweredrc Posted at 1-8 08:24
its really funny to me that the Spark has the feature to hand launch itself and to hand land it self I say this only because I have flown RC for 29 years now and have been a member of the AMA the whole time and their bylaws are your never suppose to touch a aircraft that is flying.

The actual drones are flying cameras and not models of an airborne camera or a aviation model!
;-)
2019-1-8
Use props
LouisP
Captain
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I always land on my hand, but I don't grab it like that.  I just hold out a flat palm and push down on the stick until it lands on my hand and the motors shut off.
2019-1-8
Use props
Warriewoodlad
First Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

I take off and land as the conditions and my mood dictate - why be inflexible?  Sometimes I hand take off in the gestures mode and switch to normal mode to fly, but mostly I hand take off in normal mode.  I have yet to switch to gesture mode to hand land - I keep forgetting to try it.
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-8 04:40
So many video like this one on Youtube. Ok, let’s be another one.

Yeah the more the better LOL  
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 1-8 05:32
I have done a couple of hundred landings in this handgrab style, but not once lost skin b/c of that

My thoughts exactly...   
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

epoweredrc Posted at 1-8 08:24
its really funny to me that the Spark has the feature to hand launch itself and to hand land it self I say this only because I have flown RC for 29 years now and have been a member of the AMA the whole time and their bylaws are your never suppose to touch a aircraft that is flying.

We don't have such rules here in Australia regarding touching an airborne A/C..   As you state the Spark is designed to hand launch and land.     At the end of the day everyone can decide how they land.  I just find the grab method works the easiest for me.      
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

LouisP Posted at 1-8 12:57
I always land on my hand, but I don't grab it like that.  I just hold out a flat palm and push down on the stick until it lands on my hand and the motors shut off.

Yep.. I also do the flat palm landing as well...  In fact I land on the ground, on my car, on a roof on hand (flat palm) or grabbing it as it comes down.   For me the easiest is grabbing it.      I guess what each person feels is best for them.  
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Warriewoodlad Posted at 1-8 13:22
I take off and land as the conditions and my mood dictate - why be inflexible?  Sometimes I hand take off in the gestures mode and switch to normal mode to fly, but mostly I hand take off in normal mode.  I have yet to switch to gesture mode to hand land - I keep forgetting to try it.

I've never landed in Gesture mode...  Typically,  I use the controller to either slide to Land and then grab on way down or I push joystick to force it to land and then grab it as its coming down.   
2019-1-8
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

At the end of the day...  My video is the way I prefer to land my drone.    Everyone can land as they see fit.   
2019-1-8
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

You're welcome!
2019-1-11
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 1-8 05:32
I have done a couple of hundred landings in this handgrab style, but not once lost skin b/c of that

Not angry - just not silly enough to try it again. I've tried a few times, but Spark does always land in the hand cos it thinks it has another 4 ft to reach ground.  I'd rather take off from ground to get the correct altitude. Like you said, just my opinion for new owners. More experienced owners may have greater ability to land in hand, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The props spin at 10,000 +/-rpm. I know you can land on your hand, but I would never just grab it to force landing & turn it upside to stop the motors. Land by hand or on the ground & let the motors stop normally. Turning Spark sideways in hand whilst the props are spinning is the last method I'd use. My opinion or true life expereince? We should promote safe flying & landing, not 'cowboy' styles that may not suite the average person.
2019-1-12
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 1-8 03:02
I have no need of a landing Pad...      I have no need to find clear ground...     I can launch from anywhere with my hand and land in my hand.    As long as I adhere to the CASA regulations there are no Rules that apply to how I land my drone.   As I mentioned earlier if you don't feel comfortable in landing in your hand, there's no pressure to do so.    Many don't .. Many do.   Choice is left to everyone.

I never said anything about CASA. Just basic pilot skills, common sense  & basic rules. Obviously you don't fly the real thing, just toys? You would have more respect if you knew how to fly a real  chopper of fixed wing aircraft. So be it - only trying to relate to the real world,   Nahh, next you will be flying your drone near Major airports & stuff up the hobby. Gatwick, Heathrow?  You can't launch from anywhere.
2019-1-12
Use props
Sparkz71
First Officer
Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 1-8 08:48
The actual drones are flying cameras and not models of an airborne camera or a aviation model!
;-)

Huh? Drones are flying cameras and not models of an airborne camera nor an aviation model?  That's not funny! Silly if you think about it.  I can throw my camera into the sky, but will it land? Or is it a flying drone based on avionics? I hope you are joking!  What a silly thing to say - are you on drugs?
2019-1-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-12 02:15
Not angry - just not silly enough to try it again. I've tried a few times, but Spark does always land in the hand cos it thinks it has another 4 ft to reach ground.  I'd rather take off from ground to get the correct altitude. Like you said, just my opinion for new owners. More experienced owners may have greater ability to land in hand, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The props spin at 10,000 +/-rpm. I know you can land on your hand, but I would never just grab it to force landing & turn it upside to stop the motors. Land by hand or on the ground & let the motors stop normally. Turning Spark sideways in hand whilst the props are spinning is the last method I'd use. My opinion or true life expereince? We should promote safe flying & landing, not 'cowboy' styles that may not suite the average person.

-"The props spin at 10,000 +/-rpm."-

More 12.000 at hover, up to 26ish000 in sport and full forward
2019-1-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-12 03:17
Huh? Drones are flying cameras and not models of an airborne camera nor an aviation model?  That's not funny! Silly if you think about it.  I can throw my camera into the sky, but will it land? Or is it a flying drone based on avionics? I hope you are joking!  What a silly thing to say - are you on drugs?

Please show me the full sized flying camera, the Spark (or other Drones) are a model off! ;-)
They are airborne cams, not model aircrafts! ;-)
At every model airfield you will learn that very quickly: You are not a model aircraft pilot!

2019-1-12
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

I hand catch it when I’m at the beach. I launched my p3p off a blanket at the beach and ended up getting sand everywhere Where I live the wind blows most of the time at the beach and the little spark I’m afraid might get sand it the motors if it’s low to the ground. Thanks for the tips.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

I have also started to grab it with my hand for landing.  Very easy to do and so much safer!  I was wondering if the rubber band impair the GPS signal?
I grab it with my hand but I find it a little slippery sometimes.  I plan on taking off and landing from my hand most of the time.

Another question, does the Spark acquire home position well when launched from the hand? Or do you make it hover until it update the correct home position?

2019-1-12
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 1-12 10:21
I hand catch it when I’m at the beach. I launched my p3p off a blanket at the beach and ended up getting sand everywhere  Where I live the wind blows most of the time at the beach and the little spark I’m afraid might get sand it the motors if it’s low to the ground. Thanks for the tips.

Well by hand landing or hand Grabbing it saves the drone from sand, long grass, any uneven surface as well..   Sadly we can't always launch on flat ground.   Just need to be realistic I guess and use common sense with landing    
2019-1-12
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 10:29
I have also started to grab it with my hand for landing.  Very easy to do and so much safer!  I was wondering if the rubber band impair the GPS signal?
I grab it with my hand but I find it a little slippery sometimes.  I plan on taking off and landing from my hand most of the time.

Yep..  I find grabbing it as it lands way safer and easier for me.    As for the GPS Signal I haven't really noticed any issues with it.   It's more there for the Battery (Not sure it's actually doing anything to be honest)  

As for Home Position, I always set it b4 I take off and it sets it again automatically when it takes off as well.  I haven't had any problems setting it in my hand or on the ground.   As long as you are away from any metal which may interfere..
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 1-12 12:35
Yep..  I find grabbing it as it lands way safer and easier for me.    As for the GPS Signal I haven't really noticed any issues with it.   It's more there for the Battery (Not sure it's actually doing anything to be honest)   

As for Home Position, I always set it b4 I take off and it sets it again automatically when it takes off as well.  I haven't had any problems setting it in my hand or on the ground.   As long as you are away from any metal which may interfere..

I don't think that rubber band would hold the battery in place if it was to pop out. It might prevent it from falling from the drone but if it disconnect from the drone both will fall to the ground united

That really scare me because my drone came with 2 old batteries... so I bought the clip. It's just annoying to have to remove and put the clip back but it's safe.

Another advantage of landing and taking off from the hand is that it gives people around more confidence and feeling of safety when they see it being launch from a hand. It might sound silly but they don't see it as a bad mean drone, more like a toy. At least that's what my friends are reporting.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
Second Officer
Canada

Greg - TheHuski Posted at 1-8 03:02

Well actually, the Spark was designed to be launched from the hand and land in the hand. It's all over DJI advertising. It's a selfie drone. I guess they assumed that people will know better than to put their fingers in the path of the rotors. Common sense.

2019-1-12
Use props
MccloudSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

I have yet to try hand land/takeoff simply because it has been winter here since I got it and the windchill from the prop wash is way to cold.  But in warmer weather I plan on using the method that best suit my surroundings.
2019-1-12
Use props
ChArl!3
Captain
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, Safe flying!
2019-1-12
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 13:54
I don't think that rubber band would hold the battery in place if it was to pop out. It might prevent it from falling from the drone but if it disconnect from the drone both will fall to the ground united

That really scare me because my drone came with 2 old batteries... so I bought the clip. It's just annoying to have to remove and put the clip back but it's safe.

I'm pretty sure that rubber band wouldn't do anything...  I tried to half click the battery in but the drone wouldn't even power on.. So I'm guessing they fixed the issue by the time I got my drone.  It's just there for show now..   I should actually buy the clip to be safe.

Yeah the Spark being small doesn't really offend too many people..  Unless you flying it towards or over them..
2019-1-13
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 13:59
Well actually, the Spark was designed to be launched from the hand and land in the hand. It's all over DJI advertising. It's a selfie drone. I guess they assumed that people will know better than to put their fingers in the path of the rotors. Common sense.

https://youtu.be/74Cm1p3fr0g

yes that's it...  Only a dummy would try to grab it by the Propellers lol..
2019-1-13
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

ChArl!3 Posted at 1-12 18:50
Cool, Safe flying!

Cheers... Thanks   
2019-1-13
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Captain
Australia

MccloudSpark Posted at 1-12 17:15
I have yet to try hand land/takeoff simply because it has been winter here since I got it and the windchill from the prop wash is way to cold.  But in warmer weather I plan on using the method that best suit my surroundings.

I never used to land or take off with my hand.. Now it's just second nature..  Don't think Sparky has touched the ground for a while..  Well once when i wanted a ground shot   
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules