FAA 107 Question - pretty specific
894 14 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KennyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 674137 ft
United States

This is for all of you FAA 107 pilots or people you know the 107 rules.

Yesterday I was approached by a potential client who wanted drone footage/video of a fashion event we was doing. The first question that came to mind is the whole "flying over people" which most of you know is a big "no no" with the FAA and would either require a waiver or informed consent by all participating and a closed set (my understanding).

Anyway, here is my question. During my training it was made clear to me that the FAA is only concerned about outside airspace and that indoor airspace is not regulated by the FAA. If that is true, does the not flying over people apply when flying indoors?

Now before everyone jumps on me, I know that the flying over people is a safety thing and at the very least I would be safe and have insurance for that flight as well as probably rotor guards.
2019-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The FAA doesn't care what goes on behind closed doors (as long as there's a roof).  But you still have to make sure you don't fly in an unsafe manner.
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-8 04:27
The FAA doesn't care what goes on behind closed doors (as long as there's a roof).  But you still have to make sure you don't fly in an unsafe manner.

Thanks. That is what I heard...and yeah...for me, flying safe and being safe is a given.

Another question: as an FAA 107 you have to report any incidents that happen during your flight if it fits the FAA criteria for reporting (like you crashed the drone and did damage). Is this also void in an indoor setting?
2019-1-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

KennyB Posted at 1-8 04:36
Thanks. That is what I heard...and yeah...for me, flying safe and being safe is a given.

Another question: as an FAA 107 you have to report any incidents that happen during your flight if it fits the FAA criteria for reporting (like you crashed the drone and did damage). Is this also void in an indoor setting?

I think post #2 covers everything.  

I like the idea of prop guards.  You have liability insurance, right?  

I would do a dry run before the people arrive.  

Good luck.
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-8 05:05
I think post #2 covers everything.  

I like the idea of prop guards.  You have liability insurance, right?  

Yeah I have liability insurance. I don't generally use prop guards but inside I understand GPS doesn't work so prop guards are a good fail safe.
2019-1-8
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know the answer to that question, but I would report such an incident. Side question: Is it practical for the group you may be flying over to sign any kind of waiver or at least be notified ahead of time? We do a combination of this for people working on construction sites that I fly over.
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 1-8 05:17
I don't know the answer to that question, but I would report such an incident. Side question: Is it practical for the group you may be flying over to sign any kind of waiver or at least be notified ahead of time? We do a combination of this for people working on construction sites that I fly over.

Yeah I would say it is for sure "reasonable".
2019-1-8
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

You might want to review your insurance policy.  There may be exclusions
2019-1-8
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

hope you have good insurance, like 100M or more, the lawsuits would be insane if you crashed into the people below.
imho flying over people in any situation is not a good idea, boarders on complete irresponsibility as a safe 107 pilot even indoors, but that's me.
honestly with the tech being so unreliable it's not worth it. so much interference indoors. Hope your confidence level to fly in atti is sharp, how many years have you flown in atti mode?
I'm 107 and I also fly racing drones, flying atti drones since 2010, and completely confident in my skills, and still I would never think of doing what you purpose. no fn way.

is this why you want that goofy parachute accessory and your fly over people waiver, kinda see a pattern developing with your posts, trying to see your logic here...
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 1-8 09:52
You might want to review your insurance policy.  There may be exclusions

I will thank you. I like your Borg avatar.
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Tree Posted at 1-8 10:48
hope you have good insurance, like 100M or more, the lawsuits would be insane if you crashed into the people below.
imho flying over people in any situation is not a good idea, boarders on complete irresponsibility as a safe 107 pilot even indoors, but that's me.
honestly with the tech being so unreliable it's not worth it. so much interference indoors. Hope your confidence level to fly in atti is sharp, how many years have you flown in atti mode?

I hadn't agreed to take the project yet...there is still some contention regarding budget and payment. I have considered not taking it anyway...the whole risk vs reward. They would have to pay me a lot and I am sure that they won't. Time will tell.

No the parachute things would be for outdoor events and stuff like that. I shoot a lot of corporate/commercial work and it would be in support of that...in my opinion flying over people is dangerous...generally speaking flying over people indoors is borderline stupid.

I am also a bit of a research junkie.
2019-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I doubt that the FAA would be at all interested in any incidents you have during a flight, unless people are hurt or serious damage or disruption  is caused.

They definitely don't care if you clip a tree.
2019-1-8
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-8 15:26
I doubt that the FAA would be at all interested in any incidents you have during a flight, unless people are hurt or serious damage or disruption  is caused.

They definitely don't care if you clip a tree.

Yeah I agree. I don't plan to have any such incidents EVER...actually actively avoiding any such incident.
2019-1-9
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

I would have to agree with Tree.  With reliability of the equipment that is not great, (barely good) to intentionally fly over people and put them at risk would not be a good decision.  I would look elsewhere for work. I seriously doubt that you could get an approval from the underwriter to do that.   I could be wrong.....
2019-1-9
Use props
KennyB
lvl.4
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 1-9 04:49
I would have to agree with Tree.  With reliability of the equipment that is not great, (barely good) to intentionally fly over people and put them at risk would not be a good decision.  I would look elsewhere for work. I seriously doubt that you could get an approval from the underwriter to do that.   I could be wrong.....

Thanks. As I mentioned in an earlier post. Probably not taking the project.
2019-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules