4537 43 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

So, is there only benefits of having all in one piece?
What if the video feed goes black, will the telemtry still be displayed, like on the display of the orignal controller, or?
I often find myself using both to read out the data during flights...

https://www.dji.com/no/smart-controller
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

my pluses was having built in one unit. not charging both tablet, and rc. setup would be faster as not turning on tablet and waiting on boot up then mounting and plugging into rc and turning on. but going from a 8in tablet to a 5.5 display for $650 usd is a downgrade in my book. $300-400 i might been tempted to try it

larger rc battery is a plus too
2019-1-8
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1007 ft
United States

I wouldn't touch Android with a stick.
2019-1-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Isn't there information on the controller screen that doesn't appear on the GO Fly App?  For one example I thinking about RPM?
2019-1-8
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

1cmathis Posted at 1-8 07:25

LOL, thats a VERY good point
2019-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think most using Crystalsky will have found it pretty good, let down by slow updating the app, but overall good as well as keeping your phone out of the equation.
A phone has an extremely high cost, yes you can make phone calls and send texts, but you pay a huge premium for a very small camera and some tricks, but at a €1000 has it got much more value than this controller, controller will be sold to a very small niche market costs €650 , on the other hand phones sold to the mass markets yet is priced extremely high.
I think the biggest catch with this controller is in order to use it with a M2 you have effectively buy two controllers, although they say it will work with future drones.
I think on the whole when I compare to my phone to the controller looks like good value, I can start and operate my drone much quicker, i now have HDMI out which is important to me, I no longer have to worry about having phone charged, taking calls making calls receiving notifications .
The price is high but the value looks reasonable, I will have to mull it over
2019-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

How do you manage with new M2 controller ?
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-8 07:53
I think most using Crystalsky will have found it pretty good, let down by slow updating the app, but overall good as well as keeping your phone out of the equation.
A phone has an extremely high cost, yes you can make phone calls and send texts, but you pay a huge premium for a very small camera and some tricks, but at a €1000 has it got much more value than this controller, controller will be sold to a very small niche market costs €650 , on the other hand phones sold to the mass markets yet is priced extremely high.
I think the biggest catch with this controller is in order to use it with a M2 you have effectively buy two controllers, although they say it will work with future drones.

if you havent already purchased the M2. they offer this remote with the M2 series for $400 usd more than the standard remote package. but yea i agree having already bought the M2P with regular remote cant see dropping $650usd for a screen remote. as a bundle package maybe. also too im using a 8in tablet now so dropping to 5.5in is another downgrade in my book
my pros though are not having to charge tablet, and remote. not having to turn on and mount tablet then plug it in. and what if tablet is forgotten? this built in saves a lot of troubles but just cant justify dropping the cash unless i could possible sell my stock remote to help cover cost
2019-1-8
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Theres one thing i still wish Dji could pay attention to, make a balanced lanyard hook, like we have on regular rc radios, so you can let go of it, without having to risk the controller tipping over, hitting sticks, buttons and what not.
Only people who flew RC before drones arrived knows what im talking about...
2019-1-8
Use props
tylerjhill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34014006 ft
United States

Looks pretty sweet, but personally have a hard time justifying...

Pros: Brighter, dedicated screen. Faster setup. Longer battery life.

Cons: Expensive ($650). Bulkier, wouldn't fit in the Mavic 2 Fly More bag.
2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I applause DJI for keeping innovating.

However, for me the attraction of the Mavic line is portability. - This new Smart controller somewhat defeats this. Try putting this into an already packed flight case ... .

Keep in mind that most folks still have to carry their phones with them anyway.

A retro step imo. Had they done this one first and included with my Pro2 I would probably have bought the foldable remote as an upgrade.

I use a a Samsung Note 8. Superb large AMOLED screen with over 1000 Nits brightness. No problem and I get the benefit of the considerably smaller controller.

Add the cost and it makes very little sense.

Perhaps this new controller is practical for Phantom owners as it is smaller than their current one?
2019-1-8
Use props
kykmavic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Android only???
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tylerjhill Posted at 1-8 08:18
Looks pretty sweet, but personally have a hard time justifying...

Pros: Brighter, dedicated screen. Faster setup. Longer battery life.

it does fit, look at the tag from the side it shows the RC placement for the fly more bag
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-8 08:22
I applause DJI for keeping innovating.

However, for me the attraction of the Mavic line is portability. - This new Smart controller somewhat defeats this. Try putting this into an already packed flight case ... .

their hard case is cut out to fit this or the standard RC. also the fly more bag shows both storage. i agree the price is high and is a downgrade for me to go from a 8in tablet to a 5.5 built in screen, but i do like the convenience of charging and caring one unit apposed to RC and tablet. also it being a type c plug i could get rid of my micro usb plugs/cables as my phone is also type c
2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 1-8 08:46
it does fit, look at the tag from the side it shows the RC placement for the fly more bag
Surely at cost to additional batteries.

I just sold on my flymore bag as a consequence of the lack of space ...

This new remote is twice the size.
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-8 08:56

I just sold on my flymore bag as a consequence of the lack of space ...

not sure i sold my bag. only bought the fly more for the other extras. and use the hard case they have list in their store. which is cutout to fit either RC
2019-1-8
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Already using the 5.5" crystalsky, so not interested in this.
2019-1-8
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am happy too with the crystal sky , also incase the screen freezes some how i can quickly swap the crystal sky with my phone and keep flying . But you’ll never know, maybe keep it in mind for the future. But at the moment a bit pricey
2019-1-8
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Little late with release, had it come out with M2 I would’ve considered, but the price is way to much for what it is/does. I have CS monitor I see no reason to purchase.
2019-1-8
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

me too......If it still had 2000nits of brightness .....
2019-1-8
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it had multi model memory I would love to try it out.
2019-1-8
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Also if you own a mavic (1) or platinum and mp2 then according to my opinion the crystal sky is still an advantage. But if only having the mp2, then the smart controller is a consideration.
2019-1-8
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-8 08:56

I just sold on my flymore bag as a consequence of the lack of space ...

I see two you you sold your FlyMore bags?  If you don't mind my asking - where and for how much?  I don't seem to have any use for it either.
2019-1-8
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1007 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-8 07:57
How do you manage with new M2 controller ?

iPad 9.7 inches

Or, my iPhone if I choose to use something smaller.

2019-1-8
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Anyone knows if the right wheel is clickable? Like P4P remote? To change shutter speed and aperture?

2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dronie1965 Posted at 1-8 10:57
I am happy too with the crystal sky , also incase the screen freezes some how i can quickly swap the crystal sky with my phone and keep flying . But you’ll never know, maybe keep it in mind for the future. But at the moment a bit pricey
Of course its pricey. DJI somehow have to get the cash back for all the controllers they've sent free to all the youtube vlogers and influencers.

Great reviews allround from them,  just in case you wondered ...

Joking aside, you get a decent amount of screen and functionality. - For me its to big and in contrast to what the Mavic line stands for but some will undoubtedly like it.

Just make sure DJI will guarantee it will work with future Mavics ... !
2019-1-8
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

same here!!

I ended up buying an iphone specifically to use just to fly my drones with ...call me a fan boy but I'm even starting to hate my main android phone more and more..
2019-1-8
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

does the new remote fit inside the the mavic 2 DJI shoulder bag?
2019-1-8
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Niknik Posted at 1-8 15:29
does the new remote fit inside the the mavic 2 DJI shoulder bag?

Not a chance, it barely fits the regular controller.
2019-1-8
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

CineView Media Posted at 1-8 15:32

So there is no bag like  for this controller
2019-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Niknik Posted at 1-8 15:35
So there is no bag like  for this controller

I actually think looking at specs it might fit in net side pocket, but maybe not so secure.
2019-1-8
Use props
jimmylee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

My concern is what happens with future drones to come out.  This  probably won't be compatible.  
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ff22 Posted at 1-8 12:02
I see two you you sold your FlyMore bags?  If you don't mind my asking - where and for how much?  I don't seem to have any use for it either.

i sold mine on ebay. starting bid of $15 with $15 shipping. only one bidder
2019-1-8
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CineView Media Posted at 1-8 15:32

they show it inside the fly more bag. on the little hang tag. but i think you lose battery storage. my DJI hard case has two small foam pieces that are removable to fit the smart RC
2019-1-8
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TruGreen Posted at 1-8 16:04
i sold mine on ebay. starting bid of $15 with $15 shipping. only one bidder
I must have been lucky. Sold mine for £39 plus postage.

I thought about keeping it just in case but the drone is too squashed up for comfort.

Great little bag otherwise and well made.
2019-1-8
Use props
CanonMax
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am afraid that there will not be any telemetry information... I think it is a missed chance, that the telemetry -like on the the original controller- is NOT implemented in this nice looking new DJI product
2019-1-9
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-9
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-9
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1 Posted at 1-8 23:49
I must have been lucky. Sold mine for £39 plus postage.

I thought about keeping it just in case but the drone is too squashed up for comfort.

yea sold the car charger too. i really only bought the fly more for the 2 batts, hub, spare props, and the rest that comes with it.
2019-1-9
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-9 03:32
Problem is... you don't buy an expensive phone BECAUSE you are going to fly a drone. You just use it with your drone. Problem is... you will probably get a newer phone every 1-2 years so your device will always be contemporary. The new controller is FANTASTIC but Dji is not famous for looking into backwards compatibility but for lunching new products quite often. Problem is... by the time the new Mavic Pro with Occusync 3.03 arrives, the controller will be obsolete and difficult to sell for a good amount.  Problem is... portability goes out of the window.

of course, there are as many reasons to get it so it comes to personal needs like always.

You bring up valid points. . .  Thankfully it's out of stock (US) now so I can ponder on this purchase.  If it was avalable, I would be making an impulse buy.
2019-1-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules