Another aerial video test - post update
476 0 2019-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NorthTexasAerials
lvl.2
United States

Here is another video shot yesterday and completely unedited. This is RAW unedited footage from one of our photo missions in the Dallas area for Red Wing Aerial Photography.

I had the Osmo Pocket mounted in the rear seat of the aircraft on a 3d printed holder I got off of eBay and mounted on a monopod wedged between the seat and the side of the aircraft and used a Lightning extension cord (Linked) to connect to an iPhone to have some control over the camera - but of course could not micro-control the camera while I operated our normal camera. Also, the Osmo Pocket is shooting through plexiglass here that may be 30-40 years old, so image quality could be better, though I doubt I would want to expose the gimbal to 85+ mph airflow.

We started out crossing Lake Ray Hubbard and then flew orbits around a commercial real estate photo target. The active track mode did very well centering on a target, but slowly lost track of it's attitude and then got totally thrown off as we had to make a rather steep turn to correct for wind drift.

The camera is not perfect by a long shot, but actually pretty neat for it's price point. I think as DJI gets more user data and continues to update the camera it will get better, too.

I can see a slightly more robust version of this camera in the future being very useful, especially if optimized a bit for higher roll tolerance, using the horizon to help itself stay visually level, and remembering the active track point a few seconds longer. It would also be nice to tell the active track to keep the target on a line 2/3rds down the screen if you wanted to keep some horizon in the shot.

What are your thoughts?
2019-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules