12Next >
6204 58 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

As expected Canada will introduce new laws for Drones today,  was announced last night on the national news, and it's all stemming from the UK Gatwick and the latest Heathrow airport in London,  lovely that's just *$%#^$%# lovely.
2019-1-9
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Those new laws have been in the works for quite a while, we will be getting modern regulation. It has nothing to do with what happened in the UK.
2019-1-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

It just making it harder for our hobby
2019-1-9
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

jacksonnai Posted at 1-9 03:55

As it is right now the UAV regulations in Canada are counterproductive. For any flight that is not recreational you need a Special Flight Operations Certificate which takes a month to obtain in winter and even longer during other seasons. The new law will introduce a Professional Pilot permit that will be obtained via exam, no more Special Flight Operations Certificate needed.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... -drones-canada.html

Have a good read.
2019-1-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-9 04:36
As it is right now the UAV regulations in Canada are counterproductive. For any flight that is not recreational you need a Special Flight Operations Certificate which takes a month to obtain in winter and even longer during other seasons. The new law will introduce a Professional Pilot permit that will be obtained via exam, no more Special Flight Operations Certificate needed.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

well so far it's not too bad for us recreational operators,  let's hope it stays like that and all operators abide by the rules in order for us responsible operators to keep flying.
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_JVkBLVhFuIno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1387720 ft
Canada

seems like for recreation users you will need to pass an exam first and they will give you a certification.
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this news. However, it's recommended to abide by our local policy when in terms of flying the drone to have a peace flight. Thank you for sharing this information.
2019-1-9
Use props
saem
lvl.4
Canada

The new laws effective June 1 seems like we are OK to recreational  use the new regulation drones  250 g  to 25 KG so any drone is less than 250 g doesn’t fall into those regulations but still need to fly safely They also want to make sure if somebody’s drunk or high should not be operating a drone and all the drones Must be registered

The license required to operate a drone only if you’re doing it for a commercial or some other reason Which are over 25 KG
2019-1-9
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Having gone thru the new regulations:

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p ... sor-dors11-eng.html

Things look much improved to me! They got rid of a lot of stupidity, like having to put your full name, address and phone number onto the drone and instead just the registration number, raised the top altitude from AGL from 300ft to 400ft, and have streamlined the licensing process and opened up commercial operations more.

Some stuff I don’t like, but this is an improvement for the most part.

Still won’t do anything to deter any nut jobs who choose to not obey the rules and do something stupid with their UAV, or RPA / SRPA (remotely piloted aircraft / small) as the new Canadian law now designates them.
2019-1-9
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

saem Posted at 1-9 12:47
The new laws effective June 1 seems like we are OK to recreational  use the new regulation drones  250 g  to 25 KG so any drone is less than 250 g doesn’t fall into those regulations but still need to fly safely They also want to make sure if somebody’s drunk or high should not be operating a drone and all the drones Must be registered

The license required to operate a drone only if you’re doing it for a commercial or some other reason Which are over 25 KG

They have two licensing levels: Basic and Advanced, either of which is required for drones from 250g to 25kg, and applies to both hobby and commercial flights.
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_BQIcoiOQh7L6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40607 ft
Canada

Anyone take a run at either of the exams yet?  
2019-1-9
Use props
C.K. LeSueur
lvl.2
Canada

djiuser_BQIcoiOQh7L6 Posted at 1-9 16:51

Just took the basic exam and now possess my basic Pilot certificate. It took me less than half an hour but I have a 40 year background in commercial aviation. $10 to take the exam.
2019-1-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

C.K. LeSueur Posted at 1-9 20:21
Just took the basic exam and now possess my Pilot certificate. It took me less than half an hour but I have a 40 year background in commercial aviation. $10 to take the exam.

Pssst, Pssst.
Hey man.  
What's answer to numbers 1 thru 100?

2019-1-9
Use props
C.K. LeSueur
lvl.2
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-9 20:55
Pssst, Pssst.
Hey man.  

Actually only 35 questions. As to the answers, well.......  ;)
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_jBXOnzT6p8Z1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Here in the UK they are proposing to increase distance allowed to fly from airports to 5km.

Other countries already have large no fly zones so I am not surprised but as always, it will do little to deter idiots.

As always, the Gouvernment needs to be seen to do something after every (alleged) incident.
2019-1-10
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Same thing happening here in Australia Australia's new (anti) drone laws
Commonwealth minister's use the 'old boy net' to share these 'great' ideas between themselves

2019-1-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

C.K. LeSueur Posted at 1-9 20:21
Just took the basic exam and now possess my basic Pilot certificate. It took me less than half an hour but I have a 40 year background in commercial aviation. $10 to take the exam.

I assume that the test  reflects on the new rules
2019-1-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-9 20:55
Pssst, Pssst.
Hey man.  

Somewhat like the  licence for operating a motor boat!
2019-1-10
Use props
Viking-Ger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56555 ft
Netherlands

Hello Drone Flyers,

In May I will travel with a RV thru West-Canada for more than 3 weeks, starting at Vancouver.
Do I need as tourist also take an exam?
Have printed all guidelines from  Canadian Government regarding drone regulations.
Will fly with an DJI Mavic Air.
2019-1-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-10 02:28
Somewhat like the  licence for operating a motor boat!

Got it...
1) Crack open a cold one
2) Bigger drone has right a way
3) Crack open another cold one
4) Lights at night
5) Crack open another cold one
6) Always one hot babe by Capt.
7) Crack open another cold one
2019-1-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-10 07:42
Got it...
1) Crack open a cold one
2) Bigger drone has right a way

God I wish it was that easy!  good one HT
2019-1-10
Use props
C.K. LeSueur
lvl.2
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-10 02:27
I assume that the test  reflects on the new rules

That is correct.
2019-1-10
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Viking-Ger Posted at 1-10 07:24
Hello Drone Flyers,

In May I will travel with a RV thru West-Canada for more than 3 weeks, starting at Vancouver.

These new rules aren’t due to come into full effect until June 1, 2019, so if your trip ends before then, you don’t need to worry about registering your drone just yet.

Down the road the government here will be implementing an online method for foreigners to register their drone before bringing them into the country.
2019-1-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-9 04:36

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html

just passed it,  that was my second try, I didn't anticipate how difficult some of the questions would be, it will surprise quite a few people I imagine!
2019-1-12
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-12 13:08
just passed it,  that was my second try, I didn't anticipate how difficult some of the questions would be, it will surprise quite a few people I imagine!

Congratulations! I am currently doing some revision to try and pass on the first try.
2019-1-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_BQIcoiOQh7L6 Posted at 1-9 16:51

yes I did, failed it the first time had 62%, passed it the  second time around,  difficult questions!
2019-1-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jacksonnai Posted at 1-9 03:55

it will certainly deter some from getting a drone.
2019-1-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-12 13:40
Congratulations! I am currently doing some revision to try and pass on the first try.

let me know about your outcome,  the questions are somewhat difficult in some areas, I did not anticipate some of those questions.
2019-1-12
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-12 17:34
let me know about your outcome,  the questions are somewhat difficult in some areas, I did not anticipate some of those questions.

Did you go for basic or advanced?
2019-1-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-12 18:26
Did you go for basic or advanced?

Basic test, which is supposed to be easy,  good luck my friend.
2019-1-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-9 02:42
Those new laws have been in the works for quite a while, we will be getting modern regulation. It has nothing to do with what happened in the UK.

so how did you make out with the test?
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-13 08:52
so how did you make out with the test?

I have not done it yet, I will go for advanced operation. I am doing revision of training I have done already and checking out information on the exam.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... tions/tp-15263.html
2019-1-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 09:12
I have not done it yet, I will go for advanced operation. I am doing revision of training I have done already and checking out information on the exam.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/publications/tp-15263.html

did you look at the requirements for that test? 50 questions, 1 hour time limit, 80% pass mark.
2019-1-13
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Anyone took the test? It doesn't look "easy" to me if you look at the syllabus which is also published on that page. But if you have some drone experience, it shouldn't be an issue. I will try it within the next days myself and post my experience.

Also found this helpful summary: https://phantomcockpit.com/2019/01/13/new-drone-rules-in-canada/
2019-1-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

fivetonine Posted at 1-13 10:52
Anyone took the test? It doesn't look "easy" to me if you look at the syllabus which is also published on that page. But if you have some drone experience, it shouldn't be an issue. I will try it within the next days myself and post my experience.

Also found this helpful summary: https://phantomcockpit.com/2019/01/13/new-drone-rules-in-canada/

oh it's a dandy one! basic drone rules and regulations are no problem but some of the questions in other categories well...….
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-13 10:02
did you look at the requirements for that test? 50 questions, 1 hour time limit, 80% pass mark.

Of course i have. And there is also a flight review, it's much more than just an online exam.
2019-1-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 12:14
Of course i have.

you're a better man than me,  good luck my friend. I live far from cities and took up this hobby just flying my drone out here I never thought for one second that I would need a certificate just to fly a drone here in the bush and hills.
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-13 12:22
you're a better man than me,  good luck my friend. I live far from cities and took up this hobby just flying my drone out here I never thought for one second that I would need a certificate just to fly a drone here in the bush and hills.

In fact I have started training for this in October, none of this is unexpected. The only surprise for me are the very high aircraft requirements for advanced operations.
2019-1-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 13:23
In fact I have started training for this in October, none of this is unexpected. The only surprise for me are the very high aircraft requirements for advanced operations.

I’m told that in order to fly your drone in  Montreal you have to get out of the city, coming home from NS this year I took the time to put the drone up at some of these rest stops along HWY 20,  got some good shots of the gulf.
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-13 14:23
I’m told that in order to fly your drone in  Montreal you have to get out of the city, coming home from NS this year I took the time to put the drone up at some of these rest stops along HWY 20,  got some good shots of the gulf.

This is the best online tool I know to fly safely in Canada.

http://www3.telus.net/cschwab/viewer/canadian_airspace.html
2019-1-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules