Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hit water after only 1 hour
1235 21 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I made a stupid mistake and my mavic air got wet! I pulled up instantly and the drone flew up to 10 metres but there were signs of issues. I was immidiately trying to land before the drone became uncontrollable in the air and hit the ground hard, so it is not only water damaged but also badly physically damaged.
Luckily, I bought dji Care.

My concern is now that my drone is going to be replaced with an older refurbished one. My drone only has 1 hour 30 minutes flight time on it. I don't want it to be replaced with an older refurbished model that has many many hours on it
Do you think this will be the case?
2019-1-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2019-1-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear. Only dji knows what type of replacement you will get.
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

why did you fly it right after it got soaked internally?  you should have instantly pulled the drone out of the water, ripped the battery out and tossed it aside and shook it till most of the water out of the drone and let it air dry a few days.  probably only have to replaced the battery at most if you did that.  
welll thats assuming water it fell into wasnt salt water... if it was salt water and it goat soaked internally, i wouldnt even care to try. not worth the long term risks of corrosion, i would just write it off.  
2019-1-9
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was too far away from the drone. It was only in the water for under a second, I got it out of the water by throttling up instantly. I tried to get it down as fast as I could, but as it became unresponsive in the air it was becoming difficult.
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-9 06:57
I was too far away from the drone. It was only in the water for under a second, I got it out of the water by throttling up instantly. I tried to get it down as fast as I could, but as it became unresponsive in the air it was becoming difficult.

saltwater or fresh?  if its salt the moment water got into it its RIP... just write it off, sorry..  

if the water was fresh, maybe still a chance if you ripped the battery out ASAP after the wreck didn't plug it back in just let it air dry a few days or a week or so..  i heard of drones making full recoveries as long as dont let the electrons flow..
2019-1-9
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fresh water. Thats not the issue as I have DJI Care Refresh. My issue is that this was a brand new drone and I am scared DJI will replace it with an older refurbished one
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-9 07:05
fresh water. Thats not the issue as I have DJI Care Refresh. My issue is that this was a brand new drone and I am scared DJI will replace it with an older refurbished one

i see..  well they will indeed replace it with a refurb model, same with every other company, even Apple does that if they replace your device (phone or laptop even) you get a refurbished model.  

dont be afraid of refurbs its basically brand new, also refurb models tend to have revisions sooner than new models.  so if DJi has a hardware fix for something, refurb models tend to have that fix deployed sooner than new ones.
2019-1-9
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-9 07:05
fresh water. Thats not the issue as I have DJI Care Refresh. My issue is that this was a brand new drone and I am scared DJI will replace it with an older refurbished one

I doubt even DJI could answer that. The guy at the depot will grab the next one off the shelf and ship it to you and would never be aware of its history.
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

side note: im amazed mavic air doesnt have waterbody detection and prevent landings in water..  what the hell is so special about mavic 2 series' bottom side that the mavic air cant do to detect water bodies and prevent landings?  mavic air has IR system and dual cameras facing down..  sounds like artificial segmentation to me.

i feel like dji has abandoned the mavic air for feature updates, bug fixes and stuff..   .500 was a bust of an update.  
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 1-9 07:12
I doubt even DJI could answer that. The guy at the depot will grab the next one off the shelf and ship it to you and would never be aware of its history.

the only shelf to grab from is refurbished shelf though.   but nearly impossible to tell the difference from new, even the unboxing experience.  i believe only way to know is the serial number and sometimes DJi is kind enough to put a small refurb sticker on the box...

i bought a few things from dji refurb and i was impressed in fact i could have passed it off in the box as new!
2019-1-9
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

its matter of Luck....new, refurbished, used or old.
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sorry to know about what happened on our aircraft, however, we're glad that you have DJI care refresh. There will be a replacement for your drone which is either new or the same as a new one. Please contact our support using the link below. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-1-9
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 1-9 11:01
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sorry to know about what happened on our aircraft, however, we're glad that you have DJI care refresh. There will be a replacement for your drone which is either new or the same as a new one. Please contact our support using the link below. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support

Do you know the current turn around time in Europe?? And also how long does it take to receive a postage label. I filled out the repair form this morning but have not received anything yet.
Thanks Tony
2019-1-9
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

sorry to hear about your crash - all i can say regarding a refresh model is that i peronally feel certain you will receive a replacement that will not leave you short changed. although possible it is statistically unlikely you will receive a bad replacement.
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-9 11:12
Do you know the current turn around time in Europe?? And also how long does it take to receive a postage label. I filled out the repair form this morning but have not received anything yet.
Thanks Tony

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. The turn around time of this using the normal procedure of DJI care refresh is approximately 5-8 business days depending on the availability of the product and the shipping label would take 24-48 hours upon creating the case. Thank you for understanding.
2019-1-9
Use props
Graphicjunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43022 ft
United States

Don't sweat a refurbished model thing.  I've had countless refurbished objects over the year.  Refurbished means sent back and reconditioned.   So any worn part of any kind is replaced back to "like new" condition, and with a warranty.  If you get it and it's not up to snuff, DJI should honor that and correct it.  Good luck.
2019-1-9
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306499 ft
Cambodia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-9 07:15
side note: im amazed mavic air doesnt have waterbody detection and prevent landings in water..  what the hell is so special about mavic 2 series' bottom side that the mavic air cant do to detect water bodies and prevent landings?  mavic air has IR system and dual cameras facing down..  sounds like artificial segmentation to me.

i feel like dji has abandoned the mavic air for feature updates, bug fixes and stuff..   .500 was a bust of an update.

Do you mean to say that other models have water detection capabilities? How does it affect an autolanding decision made over water after connection loss or low battery. Would the drone hover until it is picked up?
2019-1-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eclair29 Posted at 1-9 19:28
Do you mean to say that other models have water detection capabilities? How does it affect an autolanding decision made over water after connection loss or low battery. Would the drone hover until it is picked up?

im not sure, how it would respond to more dire situations like critical power or anything... i only seen it in a video someone was testing something out and they trying to land in water it refusing to and was some error popped up said "water body detected..."  or something like that. however i found many videos of the mavic 2 getting dunked so i guess not that good of a feature..  
i dont know what drones it maybe baked into..  i just know i never seen it with my drones i have owned, and i do fly over water occasionally
2019-1-9
Use props
djiuser_I9iyc6rjoi6P
New
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-9 07:09
i see..  well they will indeed replace it with a refurb model, same with every other company, even Apple does that if they replace your device (phone or laptop even) you get a refurbished model.  

dont be afraid of refurbs its basically brand new, also refurb models tend to have revisions sooner than new models.  so if DJi has a hardware fix for something, refurb models tend to have that fix deployed sooner than new ones.

Agreed, don’t sweat it too much. You will be ok
2019-1-10
Use props
djiuser_I9iyc6rjoi6P
New
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-9 07:09

Agreed, don’t sweat it too much. You will be ok
2019-1-10
Use props
TwentyThrill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257133 ft
Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-9 07:15

Since Apple started to do artificial segmentation with their software all other companies started to follow, that's the thing.
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules