123Next >
13928 92 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

New Regs Coming!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Our Federal government and Transport Canada are announcing revised rules for Canadian drone users.  

This is what I have found so far...  Ottawa sets new rules for drones, including mandatory registration

Its pretty reasonable from what it looks like.  No issues for me.  We need more details however.

2019-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Thank you for the info. Cheers
2019-1-9
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

A big step forward for professional operators.
2019-1-9
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

Also a complexity for average hobby users...  Just skimming through some of those pages, they sure do like to cloud it up!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... safely-legally.html

2019-1-9
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

Okay go here, create an account, the rest is a lot simpler https://gart.tc.gc.ca/secure/UASIMS-SGISASP/eng/home
2019-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 1-9 11:23
Okay go here, create an account, the rest is a lot simpler https://gart.tc.gc.ca/secure/UASIMS-SGISASP/eng/home

Hi Northwood,
Thank you for the link, I just registered ($5.00 is not too bad!)
Cheers,
S.
2019-1-9
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-9 12:23
Hi Northwood,
Thank you for the link, I just registered ($5.00 is not too bad!)
Cheers,

Good luck on the exam.  Let us know how that goes.  I am going to check out that free course over at https://altexacademy.com/tag/free/ before I check out the exams.
2019-1-9
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 1-9 12:49
Good luck on the exam.  Let us know how that goes.  I am going to check out that free course over at https://altexacademy.com/tag/free/ before I check out the exams.

Hi Northwood, I am going to check on the free course as well as I have NO IDEA what the $10 fee exam is about.
Please let me know if you find out more about it.
Thanks,
s.
2019-1-9
Use props
sizzurpburp
New
Canada

To be honest it just seems as if they want to make recreational users jump through a bunch of hoops to be ale to fly. The registration fee is $5, the exam fee is $10 and who knows how much an in person flight review will cost.
2019-1-10
Use props
sizzurpburp
New
Canada

To be honest it just seems as if they want to make recreational users jump through a bunch of hoops to be ale to fly. The registration fee is $5, the exam fee is $10 and who knows how much an in person flight review will cost.
2019-1-10
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

sizzurpburp Posted at 1-10 03:01

Hi,
I understand that the new regulation will in effect June 2019.
To bad the spark in only 50 g over the 250 g limit. DJI should make a new version of the spark with lighter material such as carbon fiber to keep its weight below 250 g.
S.
2019-1-10
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

More info for Canadians:

2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for sharing this important information with us today. We all have to be aware of the latest policies when flying the drone so that we could ensure that we are using the drone responsibly. Thank you for you support.
2019-1-11
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

It looks like they just want to make more money out of people. But at least they dropped the stupid requirement for an liability insurance which, according to them was supposed to cost only 15$ per year, but nobody could find such thing. I know, I searched like mad for this and only found professional coverage which was very expensive.

And as usual, the government is finding new ways to suck more money out of poor people.
2019-1-11
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

DJI is NOT approved for an advance pilot license. This suck. I hope they will get that fixed or no dji drones will be able to fly in the advance license in Canada. I did the registration for my Spark and got this at the end:

The manufacturer has not made a declaration (as per CAR 901.76) for the make and model you are registering. This means the drone may not be operated in the following situations:

Controlled airspace - Operations in which the drone will fly within the airspace controlled by air traffic control (Class A-F)
Over people - Operations in which the drone will fly within 16.4 ft (5 m) or directly over any person not associated with the operation.
Near people - Operations in which the drone will fly within 100 ft (30 m) and 16.4 ft (5 m) of any person not associated with the operation.

They say drone fly within 100 ft and 16.4ft of any person. Does that mean that I have the right to fly at 10 feet from a person? lol, that's weird! Why not simply say within 100 ft of a person not associated with the operation???? I can see where that could lead to confusion.
2019-1-11
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Hi,
This link contains all the information needed to pass the exam, but does take an hour or so to read through.

Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

Good luck,
S.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-9 14:32
Hi Northwood, I am going to check on the free course as well as I have NO IDEA what the $10 fee exam is about.
Please let me know if you find out more about it.
Thanks,

You have to pay 10$ in order to pass the exam, and 5$ to register the drone. If someone fail the test, then that person must wait 24 hours and pay 10$ again, and so on, until the 80% passing grade for the advance test or 60% passing score for the basic test is reached.

This course is free? why are they asking for a credit card? sound a bit fishy. Is it a good reputable web site?

Here is the link to the knowledge necessary to pass the test...sound like a lot!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... tions/tp-15263.html

2019-1-12
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 10:15
You have to pay 10$ in order to pass the exam, and 5$ to register the drone. If someone fail the test, then that person must wait 24 hours and pay 10$ again, and so on, until the 80% passing grade for the advance test or 60% passing score for the basic test is reached.

This course is free? why are they asking for a credit card? sound a bit fishy. Is it a good reputable web site?

Hi,
I think the course is free but from and for the USA. I hope that in the next few months we will get some feedback from pilots that did the exam and get some info. I can't see too many 14 years old doing the exam, not that they may be not smart enough be who will want to bother!
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-12 14:45
Hi,
I think the course is free but from and for the USA. I hope that in the next few months we will get some feedback from pilots that did the exam and get some info. I can't see too many 14 years old doing the exam, not that they may be not smart enough be who will want to bother!

But they will have no choice if they want to fly a drone, it will be mandatory.

Also with the basic exam they will only need to get 60% score to pass.  With the basic license, you can't fly in controlled airspace, not over people in any time, not close than 100 ft from people.

with the advance license you can fly over people and closer than 100 ft, and in controlled airspace. I will have to go for the advance license since my whole town is in class C air space and I want to fly around my house, check my roof for snow, and be able to take picture of it.
2019-1-12
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 15:02
But they will have no choice if they want to fly a drone, it will be mandatory.

Also with the basic exam they will only need to get 60% score to pass.  With the basic license, you can't fly in controlled airspace, not over people in any time, not close than 100 ft from people.

You will also need a pretty expensive aircraft for advanced operations.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-12 15:49
You will also need a pretty expensive aircraft for advanced operations.

Really? you think I can't do that with the spark? why? I thought the license was not relevant to what drone a pilot fly?
2019-1-12
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 16:23
Really? you think I can't do that with the spark? why? I thought the license was not relevant to what drone a pilot fly?

The type of aircraft needed have to be approved for advanced operations.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ng-right-drone.html
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-12 16:59
The type of aircraft needed have to be approved for advanced operations.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ng-right-drone.html

Yes I just read that. I guess it will be basic for me and I will fly over my house no matter what. I don't even go much higher than my house.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

What is unclear is people who visit Canada with a drone. What about them? I read that people must be Canadian citizen or resident, but heck does that mean that visitors will not be allowed to take their drone with them when visiting? Pretty much every country allow visitors to bring their drone and use it, as long as they respect the regulations. humm...
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

Here is what the certificate looks like:

2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I found the rules for visitors to Canada who wish to fly a drone over there:

Foreign operators

Extra rules apply if you're a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you fly in Canadian airspace). You must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose.
You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

And the steps to apply:

To apply for this certificate:

Read and understand all information in the Special Flight Operations Certificate guidance advisory circular.

Complete an Application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate form [PDF, 1.2 MB] ( http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Ser ... nload/26-0835_BO_PX ) and gather the documentation specified in the application.

Send the form and documents to the Civil Aviation regional office in the region where you intend to fly your drone. ( https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/regions-139.htm )

Apply as early as possible before you plan to use your drone. Your application may take longer to process if it is missing information or if we receive a large number of applications.
2019-1-12
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Hi,
I think that it is ridiculous to have no regulation up to 249.99g and one for drones 250g to 25kg (or 25000g)  1/2 lb is hardly the same as 55lbs!, in technology as well as potential danger.
This regulation has been put together without a lot of research and thoughts.
S.
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-13 05:51
Hi,
I think that it is ridiculous to have no regulation up to 249.99g and one for drones 250g to 25kg (or 25000g)  1/2 lb is hardly the same as 55lbs!, in technology as well as potential danger.

In all regulated domains there are limits to respect. Here in Québec you can drive a vehicule that weighs up to 4499 Kilos with a regular (class 5) drivers license, at 4500 Kilos you need a class 1,2 or 3 license.
2019-1-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 06:31
In all regulated domains there are limits to respect. Here in Québec you can drive a vehicule that weighs up to 4499 Kilos with a regular (class 5) drivers license, at 4500 Kilos you need a class 1,2 or 3 license.

Hi,
A number to call for Transport Canada, re: drones new regulations: 1-800-305-2059 (dial 1 then 8)
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-13 07:02
Hi,
A number to call for Transport Canada, re: drones new regulations: 1-800-305-2059 (dial 1 then 8)

Why would want to call them? All the information is online. My comment was about limits in regulations, a reply to your comment on the 250 Gr limit.
2019-1-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 08:29
Why would want to call them? All the information is online. My comment was about limits in regulations, a reply to your comment on the 250 Gr limit.

Just feedback from drone pilots about the new regulation, the 250g to 25000g range doesn't make any sense, it needs to be subdivided.
2019-1-13
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-13 08:36
Just feedback from drone pilots about the new regulation, the 250g to 25000g range doesn't make any sense, it needs to be subdivided.

Tell that to Marc Garneau.
2019-1-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 09:13
Tell that to Marc Garneau.

Great idea, cheers!
2019-1-13
Use props
skierman64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168855 ft
United States

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 23:10
I found the rules for visitors to Canada who wish to fly a drone over there:

Foreign operators

Let me make sure i understand this correctly. As an American i can operate my Car, my aircraft, my boat and my snowmobile legally in Canada without any special Canadian operating certificate or license. But to operate my 300 gram drone i need to fill out a 12 page application  which when combined with all the other paperwork required will be 20+ pages.  Utter bull.... Who thought up this crap.

BTW i own property in Ontario.
2019-1-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

skierman64 Posted at 1-13 14:17
Let me make sure i understand this correctly. As an American i can operate my Car, my aircraft, my boat and my snowmobile legally in Canada without any special Canadian operating certificate or license. But to operate my 300 gram drone i need to fill out a 12 page application  which when combined with all the other paperwork required will be 20+ pages.  Utter bull.... Who thought up this crap.

BTW i own property in Ontario.

You are right not only a 300g drone but even a 250g one, how stupid can it get!.
2019-1-13
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Canada

Hi Northwood, you have stated a very good post but you should change the title, it is not today anymore. Cheers, thanks for your posts.
2019-1-13
Use props
Master.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Thanks for the information. Got to pay attention to the new regulations next time when I travel to Canada.
2019-1-13
Use props
skierman64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168855 ft
United States

I guess I’ll get all my Canadian flying fix done in May.
2019-1-13
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-13 05:51
Hi,
I think that it is ridiculous to have no regulation up to 249.99g and one for drones 250g to 25kg (or 25000g)  1/2 lb is hardly the same as 55lbs!, in technology as well as potential danger.

Yes that is ridiculous to put a 250g drone in the same category as 25kg. one cannot kill a human but the other surely can.
2019-1-13
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

jyc Posted at 1-13 08:29
Why would want to call them? All the information is online. My comment was about limits in regulations, a reply to your comment on the 250 Gr limit.

The way things are right now is like asking for a class 3 license to ride a bicycle.
2019-1-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules