13955 92 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Northwood Posted at 2-4 07:49
Thanks, that was a good read.  I totally agree with the author.  Its a missed opportunity to really engage the target audience.

That said...  I registered my little Spark today, and will take a stab at the exam later this week.

Hi Northwood,
Good luck with the exam, please give us some feedback, I understand and that 2/3rd of the questions have NOTHING to do with flying a RPAS.
Cheers from Kingston
2019-2-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 2-4 08:47
Hi Northwood,
Good luck with the exam, please give us some feedback, I understand and that 2/3rd of the questions have NOTHING to do with flying a RPAS.
Cheers from Kingston

Will do, a friend (with MavicPro) out in Delta BC took it and passed on the weekend... so I am feeling fairly confident.
2019-2-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

So, took the exam, passed with 85% and it took me 35 minutes, including a review of my answers for safety's sake.  It was not easy, but its open book.
2019-2-4
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 2-4 13:55
So, took the exam, passed with 85% and it took me 35 minutes, including a review of my answers for safety's sake.  It was not easy, but its open book.

Great job Northwood! Congratulations! Did most of the test make sense?
2019-2-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 2-4 14:49
Great job Northwood! Congratulations! Did most of the test make sense?

Well, there were some really unexpected questions, but many that were not hard to answer.  Did it make sense, that's pretty subjective... Just $10 to find out for yourself!  
2019-2-4
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 2-4 20:03
Well, there were some really unexpected questions, but many that were not hard to answer.  Did it make sense, that's pretty subjective... Just $10 to find out for yourself!

Thanks, Northwood, I will.
2019-2-5
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 2-5 05:46
Thanks, Northwood, I will.

good luck with the test.
2019-2-6
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Canada

Northwood Posted at 2-6 07:16
good luck with the test.

Many thanks, cheers!
2019-2-6
Use props
pgaudet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4911 ft
Canada

Took the test, passed first time with no online course. Started to take the test thinking it would be a cake-walk, but quickly uploaded several tabs to help with my searches and law document review.  They even had you interpret a sectional chart.  Also a lot of questions had stuff that you're not supposed to do (re: flying in restricted airspace etc.) also things were not applicable for a Spark pilot (eg. what's the purpose of ailerons on fixed wing aircraft).  I agree with the above commentators that said this is just barriers to flying that won't limit bad actors.
All in all, I think its overkill for a DJI spark vs a 24.9 kg drone.  
Having you get the drone license before being able to purchase a drone would hinder a lot of buyers. (not to mention canada regs. already hinder a lot of buyers as the best places to fly tend to be restricted-ie. nat. parks) not to mention not sure how that would even work, as I got my drone from Amazon.
Happy flying everyone.
Peter from PEI
2019-4-22
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

pgaudet Posted at 4-22 08:47
Took the test, passed first time with no online course. Started to take the test thinking it would be a cake-walk, but quickly uploaded several tabs to help with my searches and law document review.  They even had you interpret a sectional chart.  Also a lot of questions had stuff that you're not supposed to do (re: flying in restricted airspace etc.) also things were not applicable for a Spark pilot (eg. what's the purpose of ailerons on fixed wing aircraft).  I agree with the above commentators that said this is just barriers to flying that won't limit bad actors.
Having you get the drone license before being able to purchase a drone would hinder a lot of buyers. (not to mention canada regs. already hinder a lot of buyers as the best places to fly tend to be restricted-ie. nat. parks) not to mention not sure how that would even work, as I got my drone from Amazon.

Congratulations Pete from PEI!
2019-4-22
Use props
Eddie Ling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4636224 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Daniella3d Posted at 1-12 23:10
I found the rules for visitors to Canada who wish to fly a drone over there:

Foreign operators

Hopeless for me.... i m travelling to Canada in next month and it seems i cannot fly a drone with this regulation... sigh!
2019-6-24
Use props
SpartSter
lvl.2
Canada

Hello. I need to know few things.

1. Do I need Insurance for my DJI Spark? So that if my drone commits an accident then the insurance company will pay for this.
2. Do to have a safety vest when I am flying a drone?

3. Where to get list of all all must do and must have things to fly legally in Canada? I do not seem to find everything in Transport Canda"s website.

Thank you.
2019-7-31
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

pgaudet Posted at 2019-4-22 08:47
Took the test, passed first time with no online course. Started to take the test thinking it would be a cake-walk, but quickly uploaded several tabs to help with my searches and law document review.  They even had you interpret a sectional chart.  Also a lot of questions had stuff that you're not supposed to do (re: flying in restricted airspace etc.) also things were not applicable for a Spark pilot (eg. what's the purpose of ailerons on fixed wing aircraft).  I agree with the above commentators that said this is just barriers to flying that won't limit bad actors.

I agree, I just passed the test and there are a lot of questions that have nothing to do with flying a drone, and it was missing so many questions that would have been important for flying a drone. Like what to do if the drone goes into ATI mode maybe.

What's the use of knowing in what stupid manual I could find the airline frequencies??? that is ridiculous. About 70% of the questions were meant for airplaine pilots, not drone operators. And I did get the question on the airplaine wing flaps, what the heck???  increase lift? decrease drag? what ever...I could not care less, I don't fly a plane! This exam is a joke for sure, only meant to make it hard for people to fly drones.  Oh well, at least I passed and now I got a 10$ piece of paper that I don't even remember what 70% of the questions were.

The most anoying thing is that at about half of the exam, I got a bad gateway that lasted for 20 to 30 minutes, so I lost all this time doing refresh and suddendly the page worked back, with only 16 minutes left instead of 45! So I did the last 12 questions on a guess, not even had time to go looking in google or search in the documentation. It takes 65% to pass, I got 68%! I am glad that's done.
2020-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules