Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Return Home
1657 28 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nightshade1960
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4157 ft
United Kingdom

Flew my Drone today used return home but it was off course because of a slight breeze, tried to take it of RTH with the sticks
It didn't work so it landed thankfull in a field
When I tesetd it again I noticed a red circle with white cross next to RTH when I pressed that I could take over manually
As this been recently added ?
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

That red circle symbol appears after RTH has been activated. It allows you to cancel RTH. It has always been there.
2019-1-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You can't cancel RTH with any stick movements.
2019-1-9
Use props
nightshade1960
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4157 ft
United Kingdom

ok thanks for that
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You can control the flight, If you have enough battery voltage left.

I like to set mine for 30% warning, 20% critical, which allows me time to take back control, or to access the settings and change it, to 10%, then it’s time to act fast.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 07:08
You can control the flight, If you have enough battery voltage left.

I like to set mine for 30% warning, 20% critical, which allows me time to take back control, or to access the settings and change it, to 10%, then it’s time to act fast.

FWIW, those settings only control when warnings appear in the DJI GO app. They have no effect on the automated RTH or auto landing features.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

msinger Posted at 1-9 07:41
FWIW, those settings only control when warnings appear in the DJI GO app. They have no effect on the automated RTH or auto landing features.

If it goes into Critical at 20%, I can’t cancel it, and reset to 10%, before landing manually?

Seems that I’ve already accomplished this.  I’m Sure, it happened here, at Smith Crossing last summer...

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 07:47
If it goes into Critical at 20%, I can’t cancel it, and reset to 10%, before landing manually?

Seems that I’ve already accomplished this.  I’m Sure, it happened here, at Smith Crossing last summer...

Changing those settings in DJI GO has no effect on when the battery actually reaches the critically low level.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

msinger Posted at 1-9 08:27
Changing those settings in DJI GO has no effect on when the battery actually reaches the critically low level.

But it gives me back control.

Suppose I set warning to 90% & critical at 80%.

When the warning pops up, I can reset my values, without it going into auto land.
The battery’s not in critical low voltage.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 08:55
But it gives me back control.

Suppose I set warning to 90% & critical at 80%.

I'm not following, but carry on if it's working for you ;)
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

msinger Posted at 1-9 09:11
I'm not following, but carry on if it's working for you ;)

Mike, I set my Warning at 30%, Critical Voltage At 20%, yes, it works for me.

& Always top up my flight packs before beginning a mission. Hopefully all of my bases are covered. ;-)

So far, it’s been a sweet rYde. I’ve only had one early instance, where Auto Land couldn’t be shut off, and I barely managed to maneuver the aircraft through a narrow opening between two very tall old growth spruce trees. I still get a nice rush through the cerebral cortex, while being reminiscent of that sunny afternoon.

Now, I always wear a pair of Bluetooth headphones while flying, so that I may never miss any audible warnings,  In the heat of the moment, I sometimes forget to check my voltage on the top right corner of the screen...

Thanks for all of your help and advice on the forum.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 09:31
Mike, I set my Warning at 30%, Critical Voltage At 20%, yes, it works for me.

Got it. I'm just confused as it sounds like you're saying adjusting those levels makes the drone change when it deems the battery to be critically low.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mike, do you fly your drones a lot?

If the critical voltage was set at 50% in the app. While flying, when it reached 50% actual voltage, what will happen?

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The smart RTH process can be canceled using the cancel button on the application. We would recommend setting the RTH altitude higher than any object below to avoid the incident.
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 10:01
If the critical voltage was set at 50% in the app. While flying, when it reached 50% actual voltage, what will happen?

DJI GO will display a message stating the critically level has been reached and your Phantom will not auto land (unless the battery has also reached the critically low level). You'd have to be flying quite high in order for the battery to reach the critically low level at 50%.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

msinger Posted at 1-9 10:37
DJI GO will display a message stating the critically level has been reached and your Phantom will not auto land (unless the battery has also reached the critically low level). You'd have to be flying quite high in order for the battery to reach the critically low level at 50%.

Yes, very high elevation, or quite a long distance from the Recorded Home Point.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 12:17
or quite a long distance from the Recorded Home Point.

The distance from the home point does not matter. Only the current altitude matters since the drone auto lands straight down after the battery reaches the critically low level.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I wish RTH would engage, when it has more than enough juice to get back safe, not land in some remote area,

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

It will.  It calculates how much battery you have left and will RTH automatically unless you cancel.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My understanding is, by definition, critical battery is a landing process.  There's no RTH involved with critical battery.  Critical battery / auto land is a last resort to keep the AC from falling from the sky.  
2019-1-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 13:13
I wish RTH would engage, when it has more than enough juice to get back safe, not land in some remote area,

If the aircraft detects critical battery level, it is likely to only have enough battery capacity to land safely, not fly home. The aim is to save the aircraft from falling, not get home.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 1-9 15:29
If the aircraft detects critical battery level, it is likely to only have enough battery capacity to land safely, not fly home. The aim is to save the aircraft from falling, not get home.

True. But land safely?  Could be in dense brush, tall trees, or worse, a water landing.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 15:48
True. But land safely?  Could be in dense brush, tall trees, or worse, a water landing.

We've always had the ability to steer the AC as it was in auto land.  This enables us to steer out of the way of trees, roof tops, etc.  Large lakes are a problem though.  DJI recognized the problem with landing in lakes.  DJI addressed that by allowing the pilot to push up on the left stick to keep the AC aloft long enough to steer the AC out of harm's way.  This was a change starting with the P3.  However, at no time does the AC exit auto-land.  Of course, there's always the risk that the battery could shut down before it reaches 0% for various reasons, which is why you don't want to muck with the auto land unless you have no choice - or you're trying for a world class distance record and you're willing to risk losing the AC...  
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-9 16:37
We've always had the ability to steer the AC as it was in auto land.  This enables us to steer out of the way of trees, roof tops, etc.  Large lakes are a problem though.  DJI recognized the problem with landing in lakes.  DJI addressed that by allowing the pilot to push up on the left stick to keep the AC aloft long enough to steer the AC out of harm's way.  This was a change starting with the P3.  However, at no time does the AC exit auto-land.  Of course, there's always the risk that the battery could shut down before it reaches 0% for various reasons, which is why you don't want to muck with the auto land unless you have no choice - or you're trying for a world class distance record and you're willing to risk losing the AC...

World class travel is possible, while brandishing glowing orbs of Lume Cube light. Hahaha

But not over large bodies of unfrozen water. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-9 16:37
We've always had the ability to steer the AC as it was in auto land.  This enables us to steer out of the way of trees, roof tops, etc.  Large lakes are a problem though.  DJI recognized the problem with landing in lakes.  DJI addressed that by allowing the pilot to push up on the left stick to keep the AC aloft long enough to steer the AC out of harm's way.  This was a change starting with the P3.  However, at no time does the AC exit auto-land.  Of course, there's always the risk that the battery could shut down before it reaches 0% for various reasons, which is why you don't want to muck with the auto land unless you have no choice - or you're trying for a world class distance record and you're willing to risk losing the AC...

Except that the P3S does NOT allow you to do as much .. you can deflect the landing position only. It is only the Pro and Adv that allow you to keep it aloft as you describe.

Nigel
2019-1-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-10 03:08
Except that the P3S does NOT allow you to do as much .. you can deflect the landing position only. It is only the Pro and Adv that allow you to keep it aloft as you describe.

Nigel

You been sayin' this for years but I still am not convinced.  Member DirtyBum from pp would have pointed this out in the thread below since he pushes his battery to the limit on dozens of flights and I believe he holds the distance record for the P3S, but he has never mentioned it.  He says the opposite is true.  And I think he has quite a bit more experience than you in pushing the P3S to its limit.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... page-14#post-768043
2019-1-10
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 1-10 04:03
You been sayin' this for years but I still am not convinced.  Member DirtyBum from pp would have pointed this out in the thread below since he pushes his battery to the limit on dozens of flights and I believe he holds the distance record for the P3S, but he has never mentioned it.  He says the opposite is true.  And I think he has quite a bit more experience than you in pushing the P3S to its limit.

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... page-14#post-768043

+ 1.........
2019-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Like a honey badger, he just doesn’t care.... haha

RedHotPoker
2019-1-10
Use props