Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Piloting Reg’s For us Canadian Drone Pilots
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Transport Canada says it is concerned,

New Rules will apply beginning June First... regardless of the flights purpose, work, research or fun.
There are two categories, Basic and Advanced operations.

Minister Garneau unveils Canada’s new drone safety regulationsNews releaseDrone pilots to register their drones and obtain a pilot certificate by June 1, 2019
January 9, 2019             Ottawa              Transport Canada
Transport Canada is committed to enhancing aviation and public safety while encouraging innovation and economic growth in the drone sector. Today, the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, announced Canada’s new rules for remotely piloted aircraft systems, more commonly known as drones.
The new rules, which will come into force on June 1, 2019, apply to all drone pilots flying drones between 250 grams and 25 kilograms that are operated within the drone pilot’s visual-line-of-sight, regardless of whether the drone is flown for fun, work or research.
The new simplified rules reflect significant consultations with Canadians and the industry. The final regulations introduce two main categories of drone operation: basic and advanced. The categories are based on distance from bystanders and airspace rules.
Both categories have their own set of easy-to-follow rules that will require the drone pilot to:
  • register and mark the drone with its registration number;
  • pass an online exam and get a pilot certificate for basic or advanced operations;
  • be a minimum age of 14 for basic and 16 for advanced operations, unless supervised by a person having proper certificates;
  • stay below an altitude of 122 m (400 feet) above ground level; and
  • stay away from air traffic.
Only drone pilots who need to fly a drone outside the rules for basic or advanced operations will need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) before they fly.
Transport Canada encourages drone pilots to take the necessary time to review and fully understand the new rules for drones in Canada and to follow a course provided by a drone flight school before attempting to take an online exam or flight review.
Drone pilots will need to have their Pilot Certificate and proof of registration readily available when flying their drone as of June 1, 2019. This can mean having an electronic version available on their mobile device or carrying a printed copy.
Transport Canada has developed an improved, user-friendly website with information on the new regulations and helpful tools for all drone pilots available at: Canada.ca/drone-safety.
Transport Canada’s new drone services are available on our website. We invite drone pilots to create an account in the Drone Management Portal for easy access to these drone services at all times.
Until the new rules come into force on June 1, 2019, recreational drone pilots must continue to follow the rules of the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft and pilots using their drone for work or research must continue to follow the conditions of their Special Flight Operations Certificate.
All drone pilots are also subject to the Criminal Code as well as all provincial, territorial, and municipal laws governing areas such as privacy and trespassing. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a serious offence. Anyone who violates the regulations could be subject to additional fines of up to $25,000 and/or prison. This applies to drones of any size used for any purpose.

Quotes
“We’ve listened closely to feedback from Canadians and have updated our regulations to balance practicality and the safe use of drones. Drones are part of an important economic sector with significant potential to improve lives and connect communities across the country. Our new regulations will create new opportunities for Canadians by establishing a safe and predictable regulatory environment where the industry can innovate and where recreational and non-recreational drone pilots can safely access Canadian airspace.”
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Okay, how do you feel about this RHP?
Only a matter of time before this hits the rest of the world.
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

1Eagle Posted at 1-9 12:31
Okay, how do you feel about this RHP?
Only a matter of time before this hits the rest of the world.

I love this new reform. A lot, & feel it was long over due.

What they should do is restrict sales until proof of a course was taken, and test passing.

Ween out the runts.

RedHotPoker

2019-1-9
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-9 12:35
I love this new reform. A lot, & feel it was long over due.

Agreed, the "runts" and "bad apples" ruin it for all of us who rely on UAV's for livelihood. Holding the rec users to the same standards as commercial pilots only makes sense. We should all  be responsible and accountable for our actions.

Not saying rec users are runts and bad apples. All groups have them.

2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

1Eagle Posted at 1-9 12:45
Agreed, the "runts" and "bad apples" ruin it for all of us who rely on UAV's for livelihood. Holding the rec users to the same standards as commercial pilots only makes sense. We should all  be responsible and accountable for our actions.

Not saying rec users are runts and bad apples. All groups have them.

I hope that the good of us abide, and rest, find a new hobby, or another home to play.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I woke up this morning, and wow. The sky hasn’t fallen.

We are still here, to fly another day... sweeet.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-10
Use props
Marty McFlier
lvl.1

United States

At least this lets Canadian companies use small drones without having to spend several days training each of their employees impertinent aviation facts just to fly a Mavic/Phantom well out of harms way.  
Why doesn't the FAA finally come through with sensible micro UAS rules by allowing people to fly in low risk scenarios legally by taking a quick online test?  It would be much safer than forcing most people to fly illegally which has obviously been the case for the last 4 years.

2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day RedHotPoker. Thank you for posting this very informative information. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support.
2019-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Marty McFlier Posted at 1-10 08:21
At least this lets Canadian companies use small drones without having to spend several days training each of their employees impertinent aviation facts just to fly a Mavic/Phantom well out of harms way.  
Why doesn't the FAA finally come through with sensible micro UAS rules by allowing people to fly in low risk scenarios legally by taking a quick online test?  It would be much safer than forcing most people to fly illegally which has obviously been the case for the last 4 years.

Micro drones, of what weight?

Anything under 250 grams doesn’t require registration.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-10 09:28
Hello and good day RedHotPoker. Thank you for posting this very informative information. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support.

Hello friend Stephen, yes a nice day for sure, even here. Haha

I hope that soon, all drone shenanigans will cease. These new restrictions may only hinder a few.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-10
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3481985 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yes but is DJI going to be issuing a Safety Assured Flight Envelope declaration for existing models?  We cannot fly in anything but class G airspace in Canada without this from DJI.  I registered my Pahntom 4 pro yesterday and was told I can only fly in class G, even if I have an advanced pilot certificate that allows me to fly in controlled airspace.
2019-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Timinator Posted at 1-10 10:51
Yes but is DJI going to be issuing a Safety Assured Flight Envelope declaration for existing models?  We cannot fly in anything but class G airspace in Canada without this from DJI.  I registered my Pahntom 4 pro yesterday and was told I can only fly in class G, even if I have an advanced pilot certificate that allows me to fly in controlled airspace.

I have no info., that would eleviate your frustration today.

Perhaps an announcement and even new firmware will be released following this latest news.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-10
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-10 11:23
I have no info., that would eleviate your frustration today.

Perhaps an announcement and even new firmware will be released following this latest news.

DJI has not decided on what drones will get the declarations yet but they say it's coming.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-177568-1-1.html

2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Johnnyv Posted at 1-12 12:28
DJI has not decided on what drones will get the declarations yet but they say it's coming.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-177568-1-1.html

Yes, we are all going to get scolding and issued permits here.

What a down turn of our up hobby....

RedHotPoker
2019-1-12
Use props
greybeard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 416004 ft
Canada

Did the test today, and registered the drone... or RPAS as the Transport Canada calls them.
Not so bad, a little harder than I thought it would be.  But passed.
Now they know me!
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

greybeard Posted at 1-12 13:50
Did the test today, and registered the drone... or RPAS as the Transport Canada calls them.
Now they know me!

Thanks for being an honest member of the community.

I need to get mine.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Up standing.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Wow, I couldn’t include that word in the previous post. I got a warning saying it contained inappropriate content.

Up standing? Hahaha

Happy to have an erect member onboard. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

2019-1-12
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

greybeard Posted at 1-12 13:50
Now they know me!

I didn't think it was too bad either. I plan on getting my advanced certification so I can film sailboat races. Time to did out my flight training manuals...
2019-1-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Taking thee big test later today. Haha

I know I shouldn’t have crammed all night!! Grin

RedHotPoker
2019-1-14
Use props
mattn85
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246056 ft
Canada

Good morning.
I currently hold an SFOC for my companies P4P and we use it to take pictures of construction sites. I like the look of the new regulations and how fast a basic user can get started, but currently some of our work in inside controlled air space. I see that there is a list for drones to be approved by TC on their website Approved Drone list but does anyone know if the DJI P4P will be able to qualify for flights in controlled air space even though it is not on the list?

Thanks
2019-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You might wish to contact TC for thier approval.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-15
Use props
1Eagle
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-14 08:02
Taking thee big test later today. Haha

How did you do on the big test, RHP?
2019-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

1Eagle Posted at 1-15 14:33
How did you do on the big test, RHP?

Nah I  totally forgot about that. Had dental and dr appointments, then pharmacy, groceries too.

I’ll get on this soon.

Thanks for the reminder. It wasn’t a priority.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-15
Use props
Marty McFlier
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 1-10 10:43
Micro drones, of what weight?

Anything under 25 grams doesn’t require registration.

Under 250g has been referred to as a nano class by FAA, these devices aren't regulated in many countries but it's hard to make a robust drone at this weight.  The micro class is where most the most effective and popular drones fall under at 2000g - 250g  including Phantom (1400g) to Spark (300g) models.  Canadian regulators have tweeted that science has shown a 300g object can crack an aircraft windshield but that's presumably a brick at 500 knots -- it's obviously not indicative of the risk posed by a Spark at 150 ft.  Aircraft have been pounding through birds weighing 2000g almost daily for decades.  It's absurd to think anyone operating a micro drone outside of restricted airspace requires advanced aviation knowledge any more than someone operating a bicycle on a roadway.  Common sense, micro drones will save lives and reduce injuries when operated with basic precautions.
2019-1-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Gonna have to drill a bunch of holes to reduce her weight. Haha

RedHotPoker
2019-1-19
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer