Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus Wheel makes zoom instead of focus in Sony A7iii
14290 17 2019-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
camandaso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18793 ft
Argentina

Hi, I just conneted my Sony A7iii to my Ronin-S whit the Multi-Camera Control Cable for sony. Everything sems to work fine sore far, but the Focus Wheel makes zoom instead of focus. It is wierd thing is the Roning App in my iPhone recognises the camera but it only let me change "Zoom Speed" from slow to fast.

Can I use the focuse whell to actually focus in the Sony A7iii? How?   
2019-1-9
Use props
Peter von Frosta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39659 ft
Germany

To make it short: 1. no, only zoom; 2. not at all
2019-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi camandaso, currently, the Focus Wheel on Sony cameras can only control the zoom, please check the compatibility list: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_List_20181119.pdf Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-1-10
Use props
Toes
lvl.1
United States

Is there a reason focusing is not supported?
2019-1-13
Use props
alex3004
lvl.1
Flight distance : 404 ft
Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-10 02:04
Hi camandaso, currently, the Focus Wheel on Sony cameras can only control the zoom, please check the compatibility list: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin-S/20181119/Ronin-S_Camera_Compatibility_List_20181119.pdf Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Since Sony has become very important with the mirrorless, when the software upgrade?
2019-1-14
Use props
deebo808
New
United States

I noticed the focus motor works perfectly and can be calibrated and controlled by the knob IF the MCC cable IS NOT connected to the a7iii.  Once I connect the cable or turn on the a7iii, the wheel only controls zoom.  

So for now, what's more important to me?  Control focus or start/stop record with the button on the ronin?  For me, focus.  So I don't even connect the Sony at all to the gimbal.  
2019-1-21
Use props
burakalanyali
New
Turkey

as a Sony A7SII and sony zeiss 16-35 lens user, I demand A NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE for using FOLLOW FOCUS with focus roll on RONIN S. i bought a multi cable for follow focus and that was a dissapointing mistake?? official dji people HAS TO DO SOMETHING about this issue. thank you.
2019-2-23
Use props
showit360
lvl.1

Netherlands

Yes - please update.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

burakalanyali Posted at 2-23 08:13
as a Sony A7SII and sony zeiss 16-35 lens user, I demand A NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE for using FOLLOW FOCUS with focus roll on RONIN S. i bought a multi cable for follow focus and that was a dissapointing mistake?? official dji people HAS TO DO SOMETHING about this issue. thank you.

It's not possible with the A7SII. You'd have to ask Sony to change their firmware and camera controls first.
2019-2-24
Use props
sky_makai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or would be good if the focus wheel function cutie be changed to control something else, like the roll axis.
2019-3-8
Use props
Dionysios Valis
Greece

With the new Ronin-S firmware update you can actually use the MCC-C (included in the box) and adjust the focus. I've posted a video on youtube showing it's "ok" performance
2019-4-7
Use props
Micah Orsie
New

United States

Dionysios Valis Posted at 4-7 22:32
With the new Ronin-S firmware update you can actually use the MCC-C (included in the box) and adjust the focus. I've posted a video on youtube showing it's "ok" performance

The focus wheel now controls the focus but is there a setting to make the focus wheel control the zoom like before? I have it hooked to a a7iii
2019-6-30
Use props
SungSmooth
lvl.1
United States

burakalanyali Posted at 2-23 08:13
as a Sony A7SII and sony zeiss 16-35 lens user, I demand A NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE for using FOLLOW FOCUS with focus roll on RONIN S. i bought a multi cable for follow focus and that was a dissapointing mistake?? official dji people HAS TO DO SOMETHING about this issue. thank you.

I was just informed by DJI that you'll need the MCC Type C (MCC-C) cable for the focus pulling to work. I had the same issue as well. Apparently I had the MCC type B cable.
2019-7-11
Use props
Micah Orsie
New

United States

Can I make the focus wheel control the zoom? Is there a setting I need to change? I only see the focus speed setting in ronin app. I’m using Sony a7iii
12B416BA-DBE5-4B87-88B6-4E1221A003A9.png
2019-7-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Micah Orsie Posted at 7-13 13:35
Can I make the focus wheel control the zoom? Is there a setting I need to change? I only see the focus speed setting in ronin app. I’m using Sony a7iii

Hi Micah Orsie, if you would like to control the zoom, please make sure you connect Ronin-S via MCC-Multi cable which will need to be purchased separately and the settings are correct according to the compatible list: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-camera-control-cable-multi?from=menu_products GTScreenshot_20190716_145725.png
2019-7-15
Use props
visuarte
lvl.1

Germany

Hello, do you have any update concerning the A7II ? I bought the MCC Multi cable, update both firmware ( Sony 4.00, DJI 2.1.1.0) and have a compatible sony lens. But I can still only control the digital zoom...really disappointing. Any solution?
2019-11-22
Use props
fans55af6be2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I’m using a Ronin SC and a Sony A7iii and the most recent firmware update has stopped the focus wheel working when attached via USB C and instead has dedicated it to zoom. How do I fix it?
2019-12-2
Use props
fans55af6be2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-15 22:59
Hi Micah Orsie, if you would like to control the zoom, please make sure you connect Ronin-S via MCC-Multi cable which will need to be purchased separately and the settings are correct according to the compatible list: https://store.dji.com/product/ronin-s-camera-control-cable-multi?from=menu_products[view_image]

Is this a joke? I've literally just replaced my A7iiS for an A7iii for the focus wheel functionality. It was working fine before the update. Now you're telling me you've updated it so the focus wheel doesn't control focus?
2019-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules