Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO pocket best ND filters ?
12Next >
31081 65 2019-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37923 ft
United Kingdom

Hello

completely new to video & DJII as I normally shoot a big bad Nikon D800 and some Fuji cams. I tried both video & timelapse and I learned that I need even for a normal sun light day a ND filter due to the very limited dynamic range of the OSMO pocket. I see tons of them on amazon .. but as not knowing any of the brands and DJI not yet available .. do you have recommendations ... magnetic clip on & good glas / limited color change would be welcomed.Thanks Bjoen

2019-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Polar Pro but they will be the most expensive, pgy tech I would recommend very good quality and competitive price.
2019-1-10
Use props
bluntman
Captain
Flight distance : 5243 ft
Canada

Take a look at Freewell Gear filters as well.
2019-1-10
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I picked up the Freewell set and they're pretty nice. They're so tiny though...I just worry about dropping one sometime and the filter either getting damaged or never finding it again! :-)
2019-1-10
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Polar Pro or Pyg-Tech
2019-1-10
Use props
Cameleon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

I have PolarPro for my Mavic Air - great quality, but I fear they might be better quality than the DJI sensor can render!

I have just got some Freewell gear ones for the Osmo Pocket. Haven't tried them in anger but they appear to be decent and good bit cheaper than the PolarPro ones will be.

PGYTECH also get good reviews. They are a bit cheaper than the Freewell ones and I hear they are a good match for the sensors in the Osmo/Mavic Air size devices.
2019-1-10
Use props
smallWstudio4
lvl.3
United States

Looks like I'll go with Polar-Pro, they are great on my Mavic Air. Grateful for the reply I got from support yesterday to my question... When would the DJI ND's be available, they said..."We're sorry to let you know the said item is not yet available in our official online store or even in our authorized reseller. If when it will be available we do not have the information or update yet." It was the ..."If when it will be available" ... line that made me rethink my options.
2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that we don't have official ND filters that would support our Osmo Pocker as of the moment. We're sure that our valued customers could share the filters that they have been using for the Osmo Pocket. Thank you for continued support.
2019-1-10
Use props
CasualDronePilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

I think I'll get a kit from Polarpro (whenever they are available from a swedish retailer), since I'm happy with that brand on my Spark.
2019-1-10
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-10 10:30
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that we don't have official ND filters that would support our Osmo Pocker as of the moment. We're sure that our valued customers could share the filters that they have been using for the Osmo Pocket. Thank you for continued support.

There's your problem, third parties are rushing to the market and developing products that you could otherwise sell before you can sell them.

2019-1-10
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Captain
United Kingdom

Upscaleman Posted at 1-10 12:00
There's your problem, third parties are rushing to the market and developing products that you could otherwise sell before you can sell them.

I have the full set of PolarPro cinema collection on the way to me, they won’t arrive until the 20th / 28th though.
When they do and weather permitting I will provide some samples.
2019-1-10
Use props
PolarPro_Brendan
lvl.1

United States

Hi All, PolarPro is working diligently to provide the quality filters and accessories we are known for to apply to your Osmo Pocket and I am stoked to read that some of you use and recommend our brand. We have our filters currently available for order on our webpage and as DJI-Osmo-User-1 noted that we estimate to ship out for delivery in the next couple weeks. If you have any questions on any of the filters or products, don't hesitate to reach out to the PolarPro support team!
2019-1-10
Use props
Freewell
Second Officer

United States

Hey Guy,

We are offering range of Osmo Pocket filters http://bit.ly/osmopocketfilters
They are available & shipping now.

If you have any question please feel free to reach us at care@freewellgear.com we would be happy to help you out.

Thanks
Harry
2019-1-10
Use props
Wiz33
Captain
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got the PgyTech 4 ND/PL set on Dec 28th and use it through my trip to Japan and like it very much, Fits very securely to the OP, Can fit into the holder with filter attached. nice even finish so no light or dark edges.
2019-1-10
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-11
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the good tips , awesome forum ! So I guess the choice summarizes to 3 brands 1) Polarpro (maybe a bit too expensive for me as beginner) 2) Feewell 3) PGYtech Need to check prices & kits as I do not yet fully understand what range of filters I would need .. would like to document an upcoming Nepal trip with 80% Nikon Photo and 20% Osmos video
2019-1-11
Use props
col4bin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86224 ft
United States

I am stumped as to which set(s) to get if I go with Polar Pro.  I like to shoot near water so polarization will be nice and often times shooting near water can get very bright so the ND4-8-16 kit might not cut it.  They offer the set with the ND32 and 64 that includes both PL and non-PL. Lastly I know there will be times when I don't want polarization so the regular ND4-8-16 set would be nice.  It seems like buying 3 sets is overkill and expensive.  Can anyone offer any guidance on this?
2019-1-11
Use props
RobCass
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I pre-ordered the PolarPro Vivid Collection | Cinema Series | Osmo Pocket a few days ago. Today I got an email that they shipped already. So should have them mid-late next week. I have their pro set for my Spark and love them. Will post when I get them and try them out.
2019-1-11
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just ordered the PolarPro standard filter 6 pack for the OP.  It comes with a PL (fixed), ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, and ND64.  I ordered on Amazon and should have them mid next week.
2019-1-11
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.4
France

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/01/11/freewell-nd-pl-filters-for-dji-osmo-pocket-review/
2019-1-12
Use props
b_hirsch_photo
lvl.4
France

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/01/11/freewell-nd-pl-filters-for-dji-osmo-pocket-review/
2019-1-12
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-11 00:24
Polarpro or Skyreat. The PGYTECH that some folks are mentioning below are good filters BUT their polarized ones are linear not circular (you cannot adjust the polarization effect) so I would skip them. Freewell seem to offer a good set also. However I've personaly seen some 'reddissh' color cast on the various YouTube videos. I don't know if this is really happening or the folks editing their videos did some mistakes (my 5K monitor is color calibrated).

I'm wondering if that's from some of the color items that were "fixed" in this last firmware update...
2019-1-12
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

b_hirsch_photo Posted at 1-12 03:37

That's an excellent review of the Freewell filters and I concur with almost everything the review mentions through my own experience. I'd also say that another gripe of mine is that removing filters is difficult due to the design and that the cases that these manufacturers are sending with these filters are unnecessarily large and could be greatly shrunk and still function perfectly well.
2019-1-12
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-13
Use props
j.r.r.
Second Officer
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 1-11 00:24
Polarpro or Skyreat. The PGYTECH that some folks are mentioning below are good filters BUT their polarized ones are linear not circular (you cannot adjust the polarization effect) so I would skip them. Freewell seem to offer a good set also. However I've personaly seen some 'reddissh' color cast on the various YouTube videos. I don't know if this is really happening or the folks editing their videos did some mistakes (my 5K monitor is color calibrated).

Yesterday I run some test using Freewheel filters and would be very interested in opinion of someone more experience. I don't have good/calibrated monitor but looking at the test clips it shows reddish/pinkish stripes specially when camera is facing sun directly.  No post editing of any kind with exception of adding texts and music. Camera setting: 4K at 60fps, ISO 100, WB 6.5K:

2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
JKJenn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42280 ft
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-14 04:24
Hello there,

What you're seing is flare and it is perfectly normal. Depending on the coating type (or lack of) the color can't vary from purple to yellow or green. Nothing to worry about.

This was good advice. I try to always manually set my white balance.
2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
j.r.r.
Second Officer
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 1-14 04:24
Hello there,

What you're seing is flare and it is perfectly normal. Depending on the coating type (or lack of) the color can't vary from purple to yellow or green. Nothing to worry about.

I very much appreciate your comments. This is first time I use ND/pl filters and I want to see direct effect on camera setting using ND and ND/PL ones. My camera is on the latest firmware. The speed was setup at 1/120 sec, WB at 6500K and EV adjustment was auto set at -3.0. In your opinion what should I set up white balance at?
2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
j.r.r.
Second Officer
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 1-14 05:29
You're very welcome.

I would go with Sunny in your case and see how it works although  don't believe you will get rid of the flare tint completely as this is part of light bouncing around the different glass elements. If I may ask, what tint is the glass on your ND filters (you can see that with light reflecting on them). Is it pink or purple?

Again, thank you very much. The coating on ND filters are purple, at least this what I see Attached picture show quite accurately coating colours on both, ND and ND/PL filters.

2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
col4bin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86224 ft
United States

Is there any reason to buy both PL and non-PL versions of filters? My experience is with stills photography and as a landscape, cityscape and travel photographer  I can get by with a polarizer on in any situation by dialing back the amount of polarization.  I am new to video so not sure if this is a good option.
2019-1-14
Use props
Ryujin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 127543 ft
Russia

Can someone explain in simple language. Somewhere until June, the main part of the day I watch the night, dusk, cloudy weather. I forgot what the sun looks like. Well, in such conditions, what filters will be the most necessary? I would like to shoot the night traffic flow on the highway in the form of strips, draw with light and shoot what will come out of it. In General, the emphasis on long exposure.
2019-1-16
Use props
djiuser_2dtWgxBXs1AE
lvl.1

Spain

Can someone explain in simple language. Somewhere until June, the main part of the day I watch the night, dusk, cloudy weather. I forgot what the sun looks like. Well, in such conditions, what filters will be the most necessary? I would like to shoot the night traffic flow on the highway in the form of strips, draw with light and shoot what will come out of it. In General, the emphasis on long exposure.

https://thegadgetwire.com/tencent-gaming-buddy/   https://thegadgetwire.com/tutuapp/     https://thegadgetwire.com/appvalley/
2019-1-30
Use props
robsonj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110433 ft
United States

One thing I have never understood with video is CPL filters. In photography, the strength of the CPL relates to the relationship between the lens angle and the sun position. Easy enough for a photo, the camera is stationary.

But with video you're moving around potentially, so what do you do with the CPL strength? constantly adjust it ?
2019-1-30
Use props
Wiz33
Captain
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the PgyTech as the slotted casing makes it easy to hold and you can detached it with ease while filming (like walking from outdoor to indoor).
2019-1-30
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

2019-1-31
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany