First flight report...for nervous flyers!
1491 8 2015-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Okkkayyy......

I'm back already *(I'm a one-battery man at the moment)
So is the Phantom!...in one piece...which is the important part  

There were no catastrophes.

However, neither did things go completely as planned.

First, after compass calibration, I had a completely black fpv screen for about 2-3 mins. This was before takeoff.  I was thinking I'd have to come home, when suddenly it just switched on giving me a clear view. I have no idea what that was about (I was in the camera page obviously) so if anyone can give me a clue, I'd be happy. It was disconcerting.

Observation two: seeing the screen is not easy. Mind you, I do have a smallish tablet. I have the screen brightness cranked to max, which in Texas sunlight won't take long to overheat the device. I have a sunshade on order...still, I can see the value of a much larger screen or FPV glasses.

Observation three: watching the aircraft by line of sight. Bwahaahaa! This thing is a MICRODOT in the sky at any greater distance than 1000 feet, and you have to watch the screen. Just glancing down at the screen and then back up to the sky, I was no longer able to locate the quad. Fortunately, you can just take your hands off the sticks of  course...but it would certainly have made me nervous if my screen went black again (in fact, it was perfect for the full flight duration).

I decided to go for it and fly it right the way around this park...figuring, hell, I might as well see that this does what it is supposed to. But it is nerve racking watching the thing just dwindle to a dot in the distance, and I didn't even go THAT far. I admire the testicles of those who have gone to 10,000 feet horizontal distance and beyond, but I can't see myself doing that anytime soon...if at all.

A question: is there a way to access the flight overlaid with such stuff as speed, height reached, etc? My brain didn't seem to have the space to register ANY of that during the flight.

2015-6-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

In the DJI Pilot app, you have a icon on the bottom when you first open the app, user center. Click user center then click the center icon which is the flight center. Click on the flight number and select display the control levers, then the start movie button. GTG.
2015-6-4
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

RE: obsevation 2

I've discovered-
By leaving camera settings open, (on pilot app) while viewing thru the mini2, screen brightness also up-
the visual is 'brighter'? I can actually see !!!
Can it be?

Disclaimer:
It has been quite gray here.
I will test this again, if/when the sun shines again
And get back

Hello from Seattle
Cheers!!

2015-6-4
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Yea I had my first flight today and it was fun.  but I was saying to my self, please dont  crash, please dont crash.   I got the Pro version.  the red and green lights on the bottom so help alot when flying.    I use my Iphone 6 plus

Now to start setting up the cam good.
2015-6-4
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-5 02:02
In the DJI Pilot app, you have a icon on the bottom when you first open the app, user center. Click  ...

I can bring up the window that shows the path and total distance flown, but can't see where to choose to show the control levers, etc.??
2015-6-4
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

It's not in the android app, you can only do that in the iOS version of the app

I do have a question though..  You said your screen went black for 2 or 3 minutes before takeoff but then say, it suddenly switched on giving you clear view..  Can you clarify?  2nd if you lost video that long why would you even think about taking it on a joy ride where you couldn't see it?  We are going to see you complaining you lost your p3 sometime in the near future...
2015-6-5
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-5 17:28
It's not in the android app, you can only do that in the iOS version of the app

I do have a questio ...

I would have gone home if I didn't get a picture up.

I now think I may have lost my head in the heat of the moment, and the camera may have been pointing vertically down into grass, essentially creating a picture so dark that it read as "black screen" in the bright sunlight.

But I am still not absolutely  *sure*. I will certainly be monitoring the situation when I fly again.
2015-6-5
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

lightpanther Posted at 2015-6-6 03:32
I would have gone home if I didn't get a picture up.

I now think I may have lost my head in the he ...

Purchased a couple of those 3-D printed lens covers. Now I've had at least two episodes where I thought the camera had failed. There was just this white blur. Oh yeah - remove the lens cap!

One day I had a similar white blur. Then, after about three minutes of flying, I realized I could just barely make out the edges of the trees nearby. Landed and investigated. Accidentally had the camera settings all on manual and overexposed to beat the band. Reset most of my settings and back into the air. Ahhh! Much better.

So much to remember!

On the plus side, I generally don't get too disturbed by looking at what's on the screen. Here in central Florida it's been so bright I can't see the darn thing anyway!
2015-6-6
Use props
Rsheehan79
lvl.1

United States

the gimbal will need to be tuned and balanced again if you add any aftermarket items to the camera. In order for a gimbal to work properly it needs to have a perfect CG balance. If you dont, you will notice shakes and jello in your videos as time goes on. Eventually you'll burn out the tilt motor. If this camera isn't adjustable on the gimbal and the gimbals PIDs are not accessible by the user, be careful about adding weight.
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules