Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans44006578
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2246841 ft
United States

This has happened to me twice now in similar situations:

First time:

Battery was low - I was high above my landing spot - started to come down to prepare for landing.  

Once I was within 20 feet of my landing area - I let go of the controls so the drone would just hover

When I did - the drone would start to drift - like move to the right rapidly.  I would have to hold the controller button in the opposite direction to get the drone to stop moving.

I had little to no other control on the drone.  It wouldn't land, move, if I let go of the controller input it would start drifting away immediately.  

Luckily the battery was so low it started the landing procedure and landed.  

If I would have been over a pool, water, bad terrain, etc. it would have been a total loss.  

I will stated that I was close to a large metal building.  I have had no other issues with this drone - ever.  It flew great for the previous 20-25 minutes.  

I did the system update (this was about a month ago) and I did see (in update log) where the drone would become unresponsive under certain situations.  I think that is what happened to me.

Second time (yesterday)

Again, coming down from high altitude.

There was a metal building close by (not the same one).  

When about 10 feet up I did stop - and the drone was moving off without any controller input and the controller - for the most part unresponsive.  

Again I had to scramble on the controls to try and figure out what would keep it from moving.  

Luckily - again - it went into landing mode.  

Again, it could have been a bad situation if there was water / obstacles close by.  

Anyone have similar experiences?  I have probably 200 hours of experience on the mavic and probably 50 hours on this mavic 2.  Never had this happen on the mavic.  

Any insight would be great.

2019-1-10
Use props
fans44006578
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2246841 ft
United States

I almost think it has to do with holding the down input for an extended period of time - then letting go all of the sudden.  Just a guess.  
2019-1-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you are fighting with the drone while it's trying to return to home due to the low battery.  
2019-1-10
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

Read up on Vortex Ring State also.... just so you are aware of that possibility.
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules