Phantom 2 battery car charger
1449 9 2015-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Im looking for a way to charge the battery in my P2V on my boat other then using a A/C DC power inverter which does not work well. Ive seen 12V car chargers on EBay, what do you guys think of those? Im running a outboard 12v system with a 16A alternator. I also have 2 seperate power outlets. One is using heavy gauge wire directly to battery.
2015-6-4
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

My experience with using a car charger hooked to my car is it works fine but takes longer to charge then the wall charger. I have a $30 car charger from ebay not a DJI OEM charger.
2015-6-4
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
United States

My main consern is will it cause damage to battery over time? I was using a power converter that is "95" watt. With that plugged in it dosent seem to charge to well. The lights on the battery cycle once every minute ot so. Not like they do when plugged into the wall. I have no Idea what 95 watts is in converted to output of the DJI charger. Probably not enougth.
2015-6-4
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.2

United States

What problems have you experienced with the 12VDC/AC converter?  I have not noticed any problems during the several times I've used this configuration.

I purchased the 12VDC inverter and a second DJI A/C charger in leiu of a DJI car charger.  The plan is to occasionally use the charger with the inverter when I'm out and need to charge a battery, and bring everything inside and have 2 chargers when I'm home.  

Is there a problem doing this in general, or does this just not work for your situation?
2015-6-4
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Kilted Flyer Posted at 2015-6-5 06:02
My main consern is will it cause damage to battery over time? I was using a power converter that is  ...

The DJI power outlet charger is about 50W
2015-6-4
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
United States

Riff Raff Posted at 2015-6-5 06:33
What problems have you experienced with the 12VDC/AC converter?  I have not noticed any problems dur ...

This is the inverter in question. Only thing is it dosent show the LED light sequence the same way like its plugged into a wall outlet as it charges. It does it intermittanly, like it acts like its trying to build up a charge, then send the pulse to the battery which happens about every 30-45 seconds. So after about a hour "cruise" with the boat it probably increases the charge from 55% to around 65-70. I just orderd a DJI factory 12V charger from a hobby store in Texas for around 100.00. I dont trust those 25.00 Knock off chargers I see on EBay.
2015-6-4
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
United States

Oh well.. my 2 pics didnt post..
2015-6-4
Use props
Riff Raff
lvl.2

United States

Kilted Flyer Posted at 2015-6-5 07:56
This is the inverter in question. Only thing is it dosent show the LED light sequence the same way ...

Kilted, my second charger is also a DJI charger, and I don't have any problems.  The inverter I purchased is a cheap 400 watt Cobra, purchased from a big box discounter via their web site.

The easiest way to diagnose this would be to get out your multimeter and see what the voltage is from your vehicle 12VDC system.  Should probably be 11.5 - 13.5VDC.  And then measure the AC coming out of your inverter.  110 - 120VAC in the US.

Alternatively, can you try your DJI charger on this setup?  That would quickly tell you whether the charger is a problem.  As an alternative, test your new charger on house current and make sure it works.

Again, my DJI charger works fine with my Cobra inverter, so this "can" work.  I have not watched the time to recharge, but all the lights on the charger and on the battery seem to function normally. And I didn't notice an unusually long time to charge my batteries, but I haven't put a stop watch on it, either.

Hope this helps you find your answer.  Good luck.
2015-6-4
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
United States

I have a voltmeter gauge on my boat Helm that reads 12.5-13.5 while the engine is running, So I know its getting power, as far as Amps go.. Thats a different story. The alternator on my boat is the Stater unit that mounts around the flywheel, it charges and powers the engine Ign system at same time. I had to replace it 2 yrs ago, and it doesent  have that many hours on it. I do know my boat battery keeps charged. Well. I have a new charger  comming anyhow.
2015-6-5
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Kilted Flyer Posted at 2015-6-5 18:34
I have a voltmeter gauge on my boat Helm that reads 12.5-13.5 while the engine is running, So I know ...

Likely your inverter is cutting in and out and that's why you get intermittent charge indications
2015-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules