Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Canadian Drone Laws - DJI Drone Approval for Advanced Operations
4858 18 2019-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stormageddons
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14472 ft
Canada

Hi there,

So as some of you may have heard, new drone laws are coming into effect on June 1st in Canada. Yay!

One of the new laws requires drone operators to get a Pilot Certificate, either for Basic Operations or Advanced Operations. The differences between the two can be found here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... rone-operation.html

The short version is that the Advanced Operations certificate allows you to fly with less restrictions. However, to fly a drone under the Advanced Operations laws, you need not only the appropriate Pilot Certificate, but also a drone approved by Transport Canada. The list of currently approved drones can be found here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/choosing-right-drone.html

As you can see, there are currently no DJI drones on said list. As such, I'm hoping to use this post as a way of getting DJI's attention (and hopefully an official response) to encourage them to submit their various drones to Transport Canada for approval under the RPAS Saftey Assurance.

Thanks for your time! Looking forward to flying under the new laws soon

Edit: My mistake - it looks as though DJI has already stated their intention to have at least some of their drones declared as suitable for Advanced Operations, as you can read here: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... nadian-drone-rules. However, what isn't clear is which drones DJI intends to declare, or when they'll do so.
2019-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Stormageddons. Thank you for sharing this very informative information regarding the new law that will take in effect on June 01, 2019. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support.
2019-1-11
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14472 ft
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-11 15:09
Hello and good day Stormageddons. Thank you for sharing this very informative information regarding the new law that will take in effect on June 01, 2019. This information will be very useful to all our drone pilots in Canada and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. In DJI's press release (https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... anadian-drone-rules), it's stated that DJI intends to participate in the SAFE system, and in doing so, declare at least some of their drones suitable for Advanced Operations. Do you have any idea which drones DJI intends to declare, or when they'll do so?

The new laws don't come into effect for quite some time, but I imagine it would be reassuring for many Canadian drone operators to know that our drones will be approved for advanced operations on day one

Thanks!
2019-1-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Stormageddons Posted at 1-11 15:15
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. In DJI's press release (https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-welcomes-release-of-modernized-canadian-drone-rules), it's stated that DJI intends to participate in the SAFE system, and in doing so, declare at least some of their drones suitable for Advanced Operations. Do you have any idea which drones DJI intends to declare, or when they'll do so?

You are very much welcome and thank you for the quick reply Stormageddons. As of the moment I do not yet have the list of drone that will be included that are intended to be declared. Rest assured once the list is finalized it will be posted on our official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your patience and support with this matter.
2019-1-11
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Captain
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

all these drones approved by canada are work drone, none of the consumer stuff...we talking about drones that costs 10k$ for inspection, 3d mapping, army, agriculture...i highly doubt that DJI will make it in this list with the mavic series ..
2019-1-11
Use props
Esurfman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 942 ft
Canada

I’m sure there is also pressure from the industry sine drones like the Mavic 2 could possibly do some of the jobs the commercial ones are doing.  Guess we are gonna get stuck flying in uncontrolled airspace.
2019-1-13
Use props
Esurfman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 942 ft
Canada

ÉDIT to my post, just saw this on DJI page:  DJI will be examining the details of the SAFE system with the goal of participating in it, to continue to provide leading products for our commercial and enterprise customers in Canada[.  Does not look good for smucks like us who want to fly for fun even in controlled  airspace.
2019-1-13
Use props
djiuser_8ovV1BpngaaL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158205 ft
Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 1-11 17:12
all these drones approved by canada are work drone, none of the consumer stuff...we talking about drones that costs 10k$ for inspection, 3d mapping, army, agriculture...i highly doubt that DJI will make it in this list with the mavic series  ..

After reading through the very dry 40-page document outlining all the new regulation, the drones listed on the site were merely grandfathered in from the 2014 list of approved drones. The Mavic series has much more technology built in and with the ability to make firmware updates, should have no problems getting on the list. The majority of people, including myself, who applied for and received SFOC's in the past couple of years have been using DJI products - so again, Transport Canada is very familiar with how DJI is leading the way in the technology for the better of everyone.  It's a technicality used to weed out the less-reputable drone manufacturers that's all.  
2019-1-24
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Captain
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

djiuser_8ovV1BpngaaL Posted at 1-24 11:32
After reading through the very dry 40-page document outlining all the new regulation, the drones listed on the site were merely grandfathered in from the 2014 list of approved drones. The Mavic series has much more technology built in and with the ability to make firmware updates, should have no problems getting on the list. The majority of people, including myself, who applied for and received SFOC's in the past couple of years have been using DJI products - so again, Transport Canada is very familiar with how DJI is leading the way in the technology for the better of everyone.  It's a technicality used to weed out the less-reputable drone manufacturers that's all.

oh wow thanks for the info my friend ! will surely pass my advanced course when i have some spare time !! very appreciated
2019-1-24
Use props
djiuser_8ovV1BpngaaL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158205 ft
Canada

Stormageddons Posted at 1-11 15:15
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. In DJI's press release (https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-welcomes-release-of-modernized-canadian-drone-rules), it's stated that DJI intends to participate in the SAFE system, and in doing so, declare at least some of their drones suitable for Advanced Operations. Do you have any idea which drones DJI intends to declare, or when they'll do so?

I agree! I work for a university that has a helicopter pad on it and without DJI declaring the Mavic 2 Pro, I’m grounded! I have a bunch of shots scheduled for June/July and I can’t afford any delay if DJI decides to tier their declarations and only allow enterprise drones out of the gate. I would lose all respect for them.
2019-2-5
Use props
djiuser_iiBi8V70bZOG
lvl.1
Canada

Its all good 9 drones were added to the list today.  Good news what a relief.  Thanks DJI
2019-3-13
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
Germany

Terrific news for our friends to the North! If only the USA could manage.
2019-3-13
Use props
djiuser_iiBi8V70bZOG
lvl.1
Canada

Interesting though that the Inspire 1 was left out?  We have used Inspire 1 for many SFOC work permit jobs here in Canada with Transport Canada.  The Mavic air and now 2 series quality are more the personal choice for the work.   
2019-3-13
Use props
Chipper59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1344406 ft
Canada

I too, am really hoping something will happen in regards to this “approved “ drone list. I’m in complete agreement with most aspects of the drone laws, except for the 100m altitude limit. Where I live, planes don’t fly 100m off the ground.....and if I saw one flying at that altitude, I’d think it was on a strafing run. I’m not even sure if having the Mavic2on the approved drone list would permit flying over 100m....
2019-3-14
Use props
djiuser_iiBi8V70bZOG
lvl.1
Canada

Chipper59 Posted at 3-14 14:16
I too, am really hoping something will happen in regards to this “approved “ drone list. I’m in complete agreement with most aspects of the drone laws, except for the 100m altitude limit. Where I live, planes don’t fly 100m off the ground.....and if I saw one flying at that altitude, I’d think it was on a strafing run. I’m not even sure if having the Mavic2on the approved drone list would permit flying over 100m....

I know but I think how it works from Transport Canada and again this depends on where you live and fly, but their way of thinking is that they treat the difference as a buffer just in case a plane cheats or a drone operator cheats lets say at the same time could prove to be disaster.  Its a huge maybe of course but it all but eliminates a problem unless you are a real piece of work with a drone in the air.   This way of thinking is the perfect storm.  BUT!  planes in controlled areas are under strict guidelines and have a lot to lose to come down to very low say under 500 feet ceiling just because.    I have never even come remotely close to having  a problem with a plane (sea plane or cessna) I'm down at 200-300 feet they are 500 and above but saying that it also depends on location lets say your on a hill side sometimes they can sneak around a corner and are still 500 feet above sea level or on the ocean front this can happen as well.  I'm not too concerned about planes as I am helicopters.   Helicopters are the most dangerous to keep a close eye on.  Some of these pilots for sure come down lower than 500 around here, and are permitted to allow this for some rescue missions or emergency.   The last thing they are expecting is a UAV in their path and some of these drones are so hard to see.  Helicoptors can travel really quickly and can sneak up on you.  This is where the drone pilot can make biggest difference just knowing the area and flight paths of these type of pilots and also predicting a safe route to completely avoid an issue in just in case scenario.   A lot of it is just common sense, thinking of others in this case pilots in real planes with real people and cargo.  Got to be careful.
2019-3-15
Use props
Harrison443
lvl.1

Canada

So the Transport Canada list of approved drones was finally updated in line with DJI's statement from earlier last month. Great to see, but DJI has yet to confirm adherence to the requirements for operations near or over people, so for now only operations in controlled airspace will be permitted (with ATC authorization). My Mavic Air certificate on the Transport Canada Drone Management Portal hasn't updated with the new advanced operations capabilities, but I'm sure that will be updated in the near future.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, and hopefully DJI will be able to get those remaining requirements met for the other advanced operation categories.

2019-4-2
Use props
Mood Creatives
New

Canada

Harrison443 Posted at 4-2 08:06
So the Transport Canada list of approved drones was finally updated in line with DJI's statement from earlier last month. Great to see, but DJI has yet to confirm adherence to the requirements for operations near or over people, so for now only operations in controlled airspace will be permitted (with ATC authorization). My Mavic Air certificate on the Transport Canada Drone Management Portal hasn't updated with the new advanced operations capabilities, but I'm sure that will be updated in the near future.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, and hopefully DJI will be able to get those remaining requirements met for the other advanced operation categories.

I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing them add "flying over/near people" to the list of advanced operations. Considering that most police forces are using DJI drones for their operations in emergency situations, I can't see DJI not getting the proper certifications for their consumer drones.
2019-5-23
Use props
thelawyer
New

North Macedonia

I'm interested to learn about this legal issue more.
2019-10-20
Use props
thelawyer
New

North Macedonia

djiuser_8ovV1BpngaaL Posted at 1-24 11:32
After reading through the very dry 40-page document outlining all the new regulation, the drones listed on the site were merely grandfathered in from the 2014 list of approved drones. The Mavic series has much more technology built in and with the ability to make firmware updates, should have no problems getting on the list. The majority of people, including myself, who applied for and received SFOC's in the past couple of years have been using DJI products - so again, Transport Canada is very familiar with how DJI is leading the way in the technology for the better of everyone.  It's a technicality used to weed out the less-reputable drone manufacturers that's all.

I'm interested to learn about this legal issue more.
2019-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules