Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Smart controller actually worth it? - debate
32011 134 2019-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
exgolfer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194790 ft
United States

NOT WORTH IT!  NOT WORTH THE ENDLESS HASSLE OF TRYING TO UPDATE ITS FIRMWARE AND THE INABILITY OF DJI TO PUT OUT A CONSUMER PRODUCT THAT WORKS OUT OF THE BOX.  I UPGRADED TO THE MAVIC 2 PRO WITH SMART CONTROLLER AND HAVE UNABLE TO USE EITHER FOR SEVERAL MONTHS BECAUSE THE CONTROLLER HANGS ON A WIFI UPGRADE AND THE WORK AROUND, USING DJI ASSISTANT 2 TO DOWN LOAD, DOESN'T WORK AS DJI ASSISTANT 2 WONT RECOGNIZE MY CONTROLLER.  OVER 20 HOURS INVESTED IN TRYING TO FIX THEIR SCREW UP.  COME ON DJI
.  FIX THE DARN PROBLEM.  IS THERE A WAY TO RESET THE CONTROLLER FIRM
WARE TO A FACTORY DEFAULT...AND START OVER?  
2020-12-20
Use props
Gulfstream
First Officer
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's absolutely worth the investment. I actually bought the M2P w/Smart Controller before I really even knew much about it. But I did know that it would be better than most Android phone solutions. I did have a few issues initially, one with connectivity to the aircraft and the second with blowing back to the GO Fly Screen.

The second issue was because of my method of stick control and my fat thumbs. I tested this by moving my thumb over the top left of the screen [DJI] logo, and even without touching the screen but very close, the app popped back to the GoFly screen. I bought longer sticks, slight change my method, problem solved.

The connectivity issue took a little more research, but I did find a few things that seemed to have helped. Remove any cached maps, video/images, and third party apps such as Instagram. Do a Factory reset, and refresh the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic. I'm on a Mac and it was a bit tricky, but I found out that you need Developer Options On, and USB Debug. Importantly DO NOT Change the mode to copy data etc. Leave it in the "default' selection - Top Button Copy Photos, and start the process. I would recommend that you shutdown anything else on your wireless network that is pulling at lot of bits (Netflix etc) until the process is over. Let Assistant 2 have the bulk of your bandwidth. I did have to restart the firmware process 3 times before I got a successful d/l.

After all of this, it was immediately noticeable on my flight yesterday that I had better connectivity [Zero Warnings] and AirData logs confirm that as well. So yes, I'm glad that I own the SC, it will make my life better.
2021-3-14
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

It's absolutely worth the investment
2021-3-14
Use props
Monkey007
Captain
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

'Smart Controller Actually Worth It?---debate'. It's no longer a debate, it's sadly but surely turning into one simple truth: Absolutely NOT worth it! Personally think it isn't all about the hardware, it's the poor support from DJI
2021-4-29
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2019-1-11 03:01
Main restriction is that it is not universal device, matching all DJI devices, like CrystalSky. I use CrystalSky+PolarPro mount+DJI Mounting Bracket and this gives perfect setup, allowing to start up very fast

I have a Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra (2,000 cd/m Lumens-- I love it.  However in upgrading to DJI Air 2S I discovered Fly app has a Android 6.0 min version.  The sky stopped getting updates at 5.1.1.  So it is now unusable except for drones on Go4 App.  So check what the drone/controller app needs
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2019-1-11 03:30
For what it cost here in South Africa, I can buy a extra 5.5 batteries (and also spend much more time in the air with that, as the 20 sec setup time you talk about.)  Or 2 batteries, and a extra standard controller....
Also, that few seconds either way, would not always guarantee your shot of the ship, or the sunset anyway.

My 7.85 Crystal Sky Ultra (2,000 nits) was very reliable, great video totally viewable with sun over my head.  I love it.  Like watching tv indoors.

Doesn't matter what your higher phones resolution is, only going to show the transmitted video resolution.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2019-1-11 04:51
Agree, phones is overpriced. That is why I got myself a "less popular and known" brand phone, which is a hell of a lot better than some of the wayyyy more expensive phones out there. I have friends with Iphones, friends with the latest and greatest Samsungs, and my relative "cheapy" outperforms, them in more areas than one. At worst, it matches it performance wise.

We were all lying around on the beach a week or so back, and playing around with our phones (i read ebooks on mine, and I read a lot, so it is always with me, more because of the books I am reading, than the phone and connection I need.) They were actually gobsmacked when I showed them the features on my phone.

So what is the make and brand of your phone?
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2019-1-11 06:09
The smartphones are one of the greatest inventions of the mankind, to my mind, they do allow us to do much more job in one time unit, than before, and thus we can adequately respond to our days challenges.
The cameras are getting better and better and i even start to use the smartphone with a gimbal to make a videos during my travels, leaving camcorders on the loft, plus all other stuff mentioned above. So universality is a good investment i am paying for, but the smart controller is excellent, but very narrow list of products to be used with. Why only Ocusync 2.0? And the promise to be available to use with fortcoming DJI drones is not serious - does the ocusync development is stopped now forever?

Read the info on ocusync 2.0 and 3.0 in the Air 2S.  It uses 2.0 and only when in wide open areas does it use 3.0 from the drone.  Still controlled by 2.0.  I have the same worry, but sounds like 2.0 is probably it,  Since you wouldn't build your drones to only fly in the wilderness.  Doesn't mean they might come up with another technicque.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ygor Posted at 2019-1-11 06:55
Still waiting for reliability and range reports before buying one of these. The screen seems great and HDMI out definitively has its values for some cases but being based on Android and with a history of update lagging for the apps on CS screens, I want to wait a little more.

DJI Goggles RE for instance has serious range issues and no updates after hundreds of reports.

I can use my dji goggles (the original) with video in from the Crystal Sky HDMI out.  Selectable for clean video or video with data overlay - so it looks just like the screen on the CS.  Page 21 of user manual says there are options on the video out in Smart Controller.  Probably the similar to CS
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2019-1-11 08:24
I want to see more use and value in it before I can justify the expense. Still doing research but if it supported my Mavic Pro (Occusync v1) then I may say yes. But it doesn't so No.

Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra (2,000 nits) does O1, not O2 - I love my Crystal Sky, sending it and Mavic Pro to my sister in Montana.  Haven't decided yet on Smart Controller for the Air 2S I bought.  Those who thinks their phones are good at 600 nits have no clue how wonderful it is to have brilliant video with the sun right over your head.  I had an S9+ and now have S20 5G Ultra - neither hold a candle to CS.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kingram Posted at 2019-1-12 11:22
Why did they leave out the Telemetry ?

Can you explain what you are talking about?
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2019-1-13 12:53
So a Crystalsky @$500 and normal RC @ $350 for Mavic 2 total $850 , so maybe good advice is for those who own multiple drones, but for those who own only M2 or multiple M2’s it looks like a bargain. It also has the advantage of working with all drones with Ocusync 2 now and in the future.

I love my CS, but only good on Go4 App (Android v 5 or better) CS is v5.1.1 and no update expected.  So DJI Fly app starts at 6.0 - crystal sky can't support it.  My CS 7.87 Ultra at 2000 nits is incredible and no real problems.  My phones, tablets are like reading a book by candle light 6 feet away - unless you are in shade or evening.  Mine was as clear as watching TV inside - with the sun over my head.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

coyote137 Posted at 2019-1-13 12:10
I would buy if i could easily switch between my mavic 2 pro and mavic 2 zoom without having to re-bind when switching between the 2.

If it had model memory same as my RC Aircraft, helicopter controller I would buy.

Not sure but look at the manual it appeared to have a list of drones you have paired to and you just click on the one you are flying that day.  
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2019-1-16 04:00
Charissa,

Well thought out what you have said.

You can charge it while using it.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ygor Posted at 2019-1-13 11:40
I'd think that having the option to either otput the device full screen (with telemetry) or the pure video feed would benefit cases like when you need to live stream a feed on a event where the output video feed would be displayed on a projector or live streamed passing through a video editing bay for live content or something like that where you want the pure video feed without using rtmp leveraging the low output lag from HDMI out...

HDMI page 21 of manual. Says you can select options and tailor for your monitor.  On CS it is an option between clean video and video with data overlay (telemetry).  I hooked up my DJI Goggles HD by HDMI  and it provided both modes from my CS.  ON another thread a guy hooked it up to a Sony 2200 nit monitor via HDMI it showed the telemetry.
2021-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules