My Spark Drifts around at Night
1331 9 2019-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whycantstopme
lvl.1

Philippines

I am new to drones, and the spark is my first one. When I fly during the day, it is okay, flies as expected, but at night, it drifts around on its own. Is it really like this?
2019-1-11
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, it's really like this.

During the day, it's able to use its downward sensors to help hold its horizontal position. At night, those sensors don't have enough light to "see" the ground. Without the sensors, it's only able to use GPS (which is not 100% accurate).
2019-1-11
Use props
Laz22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63307 ft
United States

Yes, when I fly at night (which is rare) I keep it close.
2019-1-11
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Be really careful if you want to fly at night!
2019-1-11
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the forum mate!
2019-1-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, sorry for the trouble. We do advise you to be much more careful when you operate the drone at night, even though there is light. At night, the vision system may not work normally. We highly recommended flying your drone in the daytime for us to avoid an incident. If you are new to fly the drone, we also advise you to fly the drone within the range of visibility in the open area without obstacle and signal interference. If you have other concern, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your support.
2019-1-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

How shallow to the ground are you flying, please?
2019-1-11
Use props
whycantstopme
lvl.1

Philippines

I flew it at around just 3 meters when I noticed it start to drift.
2019-1-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

That could be a vps, which senses ground, but because of no(t enough) light, just a "black carpet".
Any wind, fan blowing?
Without enough light and/or above a very homogen surface, the Spark is "irritated"
Even over some carpet, steady hovering, you pull the carpet slowly, it will follow
There is a video out about this, somewhere.
2019-1-12
Use props
Daniella3d
lvl.4
Canada

I once used my Spark indoor and the light was not strong enough in the room, so the Spark went flying side way very fast until it hits the sofa and fell on it. I did not even had time to react.  Good thing it was just a soft chair. Now when I fly it inside I make sure there is enough light and it stay very stable. I guess outside it is the same problem and it will drift.
2019-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules