How to use Pilot App for Compass Calibration?
4693 8 2015-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Excuse my stupidity - but I can't seem to work out for the life of me how to manually recalibrate the compass before flying in a new location (other than switching the mode switch back and forth rapidly) using the Pilot App.

The instruction manual says to click on the Aircraft Status Bar (top centre) and then click on "Calibrate" but when I do this I can't see anywhere where is says "Calibrate"??  Do I have to click on something else first??

2015-6-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you click on the top center status bar there is a screen which does give you an option of calibrating the compass....see this image

2015-6-4
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-5 09:53
When you click on the top center status bar there is a screen which does give you an option of calib ...

That's interesting, as mine doesn't show the "Calibrate" on this screen??  That's where I thought it was supposed to be.

I'll double check again this weekend to confirm this, as I couldn't get it to show this menu option yesterday before flying.

Thanks for that though!  
2015-6-4
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Question.... Do you have the latest app from DJI WEB site installed? and maybe firmware ?
2015-6-4
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-5 11:17
Question.... Do you have the latest app from DJI WEB site installed? and maybe firmware ?

Yes I have the Android app from DJI's website and the latest firmware on both P3 and controller, etc.

The first time I powered it up the option was there as I chose this to do the first calibration - however I haven't seen it appear back there.
2015-6-4
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-6-5 11:29
Yes I have the Android app from DJI's website and the latest firmware on both P3 and controller, e ...

Weird ??? Time to ask DJI I guess.
2015-6-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-6-5 11:29
Yes I have the Android app from DJI's website and the latest firmware on both P3 and controller, e ...

To my knowledge, the only screen where the calibrate compass option is visible is on the aircraft status screen.

When you first turn everything on, you'll see that status screen. Once it's gone the only way I know to get it back is to tap on the message in the very top center of the screen. That's where the message appears like: "aircraft warming up," or "safe to fly/GPS" etc. Tap that message and the status screen will open again - then you can tap on the calibrate button.

Mine is somewhat "balky." A message comes up that says something like:

"Step 1 Hold the aircraft horizontally and make a complete 360 degree turn....."

I do that and then it seems like it takes forever before it moves on to Step 2 where you turn the thing nose down and rotate again. I've often ended up going through both steps two even three times before it registers the fact that the compass has been calibrated.

Maybe I'm expecting it to go too quickly.
2015-6-6
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

No I found it ok now - the "Calibrate" message doesn't appear straight away when the P3 is first turned on.  You need to wait for about 30 secs to a minute for this option to appear.  :-)
2015-6-7
Use props
Healimonster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132523 ft
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-6-7 23:40
No I found it ok now - the "Calibrate" message doesn't appear straight away when the P3 is first tur ...

Very strange indeed. For what it is worth I couldn't find it yesterday after minutes and minutes of searching with the p4 on and connected.
2016-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules