What on EARTH happened?! Almost lost, self landed?!
1520 4 2019-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wxmansam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30492 ft
United States

First off, thanks to everyone for reading this. I'm lost, furious, and a little shaky so hopefully this will all come out logical.

2 weeks into owning the mavic air and my review would be identical to so many. Everything is amazing, but the wifi.....COME ON!! So I was flying around earlier today and all hell broke loose. Was about 2/3rds of a mile from my house checking out a complex nearby. Battery was at 57% after flying around for about 7 minutes. Not much wind, clear visibility. Suddenly "Critically low power. Aircraft is landing." shows up. I should note that the battery was steadily lowering and never got hung up on any percent.  It never gave me an option to ignore the warning, and within 3 seconds, the drone got low enough over the trees that I lost signal to the remote altogether and could not force the stick up/bring it back myself via the map.  

Nonetheless the drone managed to land in a bit of brush and besides a minor scratch, I was able to drive to the area and recover it before the battery totally died. In my opinion, two things don't make sense:

1. The drone completely lost signal instantly when it was not very far away. Before anyone fixates on this, I am aware that the wifi connection isn't great. I have had issues with connection as close as 1000 feet which leads me to believe that there is something faulty with the unit. Also shouldn't it return to home when it completely loses signal?

2. Why would the battery steadily drain and then instantly drop from 57% to 0%? Additionally, you'll see in the flight log/video that the drone kept running and hovering for many minutes after it was "alledgedly" at 0% which also makes no sense.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am about 10 seconds away from jumping ship, selling it online, and purchasing the mavic pro to eliminate this wifi issue. I REALLY want to love this drone, but I got very lucky that it didn't fall on a person/house/car and I'm not willing to risk that again.  Below is a link to the video I was recording when it happened. I've also attached the flight log so you guys/gals can check it out. Any help would be much appreciated as I never expected that such a failsafe machine would fail me so quickly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kTmm5u7Q-oz2W36f_7cOmLPf98ou3_vB/view?usp=sharing

P.S. I do currently have the latest firmware and updates installed, thanks!

DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-12_[14-16-07] (1)log.zip

560.82 KB, Down times: 4

Flight Log

2019-1-12
Use props
wxmansam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30492 ft
United States

Any advice on this would be much appreciated! I have written DJI support about the issue as well.
2019-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi wxmansam, I'm sorry to read your post. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
If the unit is under warranty period, we'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'll be here for help.
2019-1-12
Use props
fans113a2b6e
New
United States

I just had the same experience.  My battery was at 60% on takeoff.  It flew 100 yards and 30 seconds.  The drone then force landed at 0% "critical" battery.  Unfortunately I was right on the edge of a very deep canyon.  2 hours of searching through tall grass, cliffs and boulders located the drone. It makes me think the battery suddenly failed.
2021-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans113a2b6e Posted at 2-27 15:07
I just had the same experience.  My battery was at 60% on takeoff.  It flew 100 yards and 30 seconds.  The drone then force landed at 0% "critical" battery.  Unfortunately I was right on the edge of a very deep canyon.  2 hours of searching through tall grass, cliffs and boulders located the drone. It makes me think the battery suddenly failed.

Your battery was not at 60%.
How long since the battery was fully charged?
If the battery has been lying around self-discharging, the % indicator gives a false reading.
But if you looked at the recorded flight data, it will show that the voltage the battery was able to supply rapidly dropped because the battery was almost flat when you launched.

Don't launch unless you have a fully charged battery.
2021-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules