Do Mavic 2 dimensions irritate people around more than Air?
825 6 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

So i am more and more thinking of buying Mavic 2 Zoom, but constantly increasing negative public reaction to drone hobby, prevents me from this step.
So many times i have encountered with negative reaction during take off with my Spark and Air, so i am afraid to think about flying Zoom. I am not speaking here about flying in public places at all, but we are not living on isolated islands and every second or third time some of the nearby living people can  arrive from nowhere suddenly and start to explain, that the field you'ŗe flying over is not yours ( not their as well), but it's property, flying over river and lake you can put in trouble fish and so on....
So they listen to the news about drones and become more and more negative..
2019-1-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Once it`s in the air (MA or M2Z) non-drone-flyers knows the difference.....And yes, moaners about drone flyers do exist and mayby the numbers will increase due to all negative publicity.
My experience is not that bad ; just explain and be friendly to people if they ask about flying a drone etc.

Guess its al depends how, where and when you start to fly!  Just follow the rules and choose a good moment to fly.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a drone pilot that would be the time to educate folks. When I encounter negative folks

I tend to allow them to watch the screen and answer any question they may have.

The more we educate the better off we will be.
2019-1-13
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Luckily I only had friendly people, who were just curious, so I showed them my screen and how I flew the drone. They were all happy and nice. But i think, if you have a bigger drone, they will see you as more "professional", and tend to be a bit nicer at start
2019-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It might be more intimidating,  but. If you take care of your attitude and stay away from the obvious areas where people in general don't want to be filmed I think you will be good.
Why I think that?
I only had one negative experience so far and many many many positive reactions.
Some started a bit 'what are you doing here' like, but when I show them the screen and tell a bit about my approach they switched to 'wow, nice etc. etc. '.

My approach is simple:
- Fly rather high in the sky (less intimidating)
- Try not to fly private space (gardens etc)
- Fly close to myself in area's with people so they can see me and ask what I'm doing.
- Fly by the rules as much as possible so you can explain what you can / can't do.
- Always be polite and explain what you are doing.
- If somebody sounds irritated etc. : tell you will go away even if you don't have to.

I think that does apply to all drones but the bigger ones seem to get people's attention more soon.
2019-1-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I think the 'fly close to yourself' is very important.
A drone without a owner is scary.
A drone with a owner is less scary because you can ask what the owner is doing.
2019-1-13
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

So far, had the most positive experiences with the MAir. Not that the MP2 gave me any negative things.
People tend to be much more surprised and interested in the small Air, and it,s capabilities.
I was flying around the  beach when on holiday, not many people around, but without knowing it, some was watching me from a boardwalk we have in the dunes. When I handcatched my Air, they all burst out in spontanious clapping and whooping.
People don,t approach me as much, if I fly the Pro 2. The Air, they ask me so many questions, that I often lose 50% of my battery hovering, while answering questions.
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules